Lumens Factory E-series bodies

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lumens Factory E-series bodie

This is really why Surefire only had a prototype 1xAA... because they made nothing that will work with 1xAA, and at that time, there was no 14500. Mark is really doing the community a solid producing the body, because many here have expressed interest... but as of yet... it still doesn't really run anything in 1.5V but one Malkoff LED head made for Malkoff's 1xAA E body, and what euroken mentioned, lower output on an M31 (just a fluke that it works, probably not intentional). 1.5V lamps would be too expensive to design and produce, and there just isn't enough interest in low level incan. But I have a sinking suspicion Mark wouldn't produce and sell a body that doesn't work with anything. But as it is, it would be 14500 or just the one Malkoff MDC 1AA head, which is sold out and never sold without the MDC 1xAA bodies (two styles)... or nothing. I expect those that know intend to run 14500. Maybe me and bykfixer will run Solitaire lamps on 1AA, LOL.

I forgot, there are 1.2V NiMH 1/2AA cells... they can be found, and are overpriced, but they just have no capacity, and there are no LSD versions. So you could fit 2 of those in a 1xAA body for 2.4V, which should fire the Surefire MN01 lamp (good luck finding one) and will fire Lumens Factory HO-E1A lamp... and aught to fire any LED head that works with 3V. But it is an exercise in futility for the poor runtime and lack of low self-discharge cells. There are also 14250 Li-ion cells, again, suffer from lack of capacity, futile exercise.

So, to rehash, unless Mark creates and sells a 1.5V E head, all there really is extant for a 1xAA E body in 1.5V is the Malkoff MDC 1xAA head and Solitaire lamps with trimmed pins delicately fit into a Tad Customs E socket. Once you resign to 14500, there are way more options.

Last edited:

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info chillinn and euroken!
I do like the elite head with LED tower, hope LF will make a 1.5-4.2V upgrade.
It would be a great lego with different bodies, E1, AA, 2AA, E2 with 16650...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is interesting. With a 1AA tube in coming, may one hope for an incandescent module for 1,5V? :popcorn:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is interesting. With a 1AA tube in coming, may one hope for an incandescent module for 1,5V? :popcorn:

No hope. And we would want it optimized for 1.2V or 1.1V, not 1.5V. With Eneloop, you could have a 2A 1.2V or 1.1V lamp. 1.5V primaries just don't give enough amps to be compelling. It would still be pretty dim even at 2A. But just imagine the R&D involved, not cheap. And you can't produce 100, you need thousands. The interest could never cover Mark's investment in such a thing, it would put LF into receivership. Maybe here at CPF we have some that could develop such a lamp and have it produced at $50 a pop or something. But unless we develop a list of 10,000 reserved sales... let go of the idea of Mark providing such a thing. If such a lamp already exists... if there is some manufacturer that already developed and is still producing them, we're in business, But Mark has really done enough IMO, and we should spend like the wind at LF to continue to support his products.

So in incan in Elite, with 14500 3.7V/4.2V, there is HO-E1R, EO-E1R, Tad Customs E socket with A3712 (and some Streamlight lamps I am not familiar with), MN02, MN03 (both 6V, but both will fire on 3.7V for less top lumens).

And, again, it is possible to fix and focus a MagLite Solitaire lamp in Tad Customs E socket in the Elite head, good for a few lumens on 1.5V (no L91!, but Eneloop works at lower lumens), but these lamps don't last very long.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.5V incand? why not.

a solitaire bulb in a tad's adapter. or any other 3/5mm bulb you can find on the bay, there are plenty

not sure what current the solitaire bulb is rated for, but I can see some cheap 1.5V bulbs rated for 100ma. So the output would be around 3-5lm

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find the Xenon Solitaire lamps painful, especially with well dark adapted eyes, just too blue. But the Soli Krypton lamps are very nice and warm, just not as bright. These lamps will last longer on Eneloop with less but more consistent output than Alkaline, but still... they were not made to last. Runtime on AA could be amazing, considering it is so good with AAA (4 hours on AAA until useless? Might get 10 hours on AA). And all we have is whatever stock is left, which is probably still considerable.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find the Xenon Solitaire lamps painful, especially with well dark adapted eyes, just too blue. But the Soli Krypton lamps are very nice and warm, just not as bright. These lamps will last longer on Eneloop with less output than Alkaline, but still... they were not made to last. And all we have is whatever stock is left, which is probably still considerable.

Do a search for 1.5V bulbs on the bay and you'll find a lot of alternatives. Would be fun to try some

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search for 1.5V bulbs on the bay and you'll find a lot of alternatives. Would be fun to try some

Unlikely any nameless 1.5V lamps on eBay will be as good as MagLite replacement lamps. Maybe there is a lamp source in Russia that could be uncovered?

If we could determine the precise kind and size of Tad Customs lamps that would certainly help... they're larger than G2... is there such a thing as G3? If so, I believe they're smaller than G3. Maybe G2.4 or something. Weird size, but I suppose about the same size as potted Surefire E and Lumens Factory lamps. Maybe fivemega could work some wizardry, but I have no idea how he comes up with his custom lamps. Should an interest thread be created so that it might scare up... interest? How many want to run 1.2V or 1.5V ? (I can't believe anyone is considering running Alkaline in a AA E body... asking for trouble when Eneloop kicks Alkaline's mother lovin' butt).

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea what may be available here, perhaps just similar stuff.

On the other hand, i dont think that quality is important in bulbs of this power. This is just a hotwire, and it costs 10 cents per bulb

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea what may be available here, perhaps just similar stuff.

On the other hand, i dont think that quality is important in bulbs of this power. This is just a hotwire, and it costs 10 cents per bulb

I think your price quote is a bit unrealistic. MagLite replacement 1 cell lamps have come down in price, but they are still $5-$6 for a 2 pack plus ship. There are other companies making replacement lamps for a lot less, but you will always get what you pay for. Replacing one of these blown lamps in the dark is not easy... you have to trim the bipins. Once experimenting is done, the proper trim is revealed, so I suppose you could prepare a bunch to have on hand, tape the spares to the body or something.

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I wasn't really interested in 1.2v 2A...More like .1 or .2 amps...

Look up grain of wheat bulbs for model trains...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean third party replacements or discounted branded ones?

Yeah. You might get lucky with a batch of cheap ones. I wouldn't claim to know all single cell Soli lamps out there, but I have been down this road. MagLite lamps in this size are the most reliable, but even they're not that reliable. Sometimes you get a MagLite Soli lamp that lasts through a dozen cell swaps, then you stick in a fresh cell and it flashes. For some reason, the same size lamp in 2 cell lasts a lot longer.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I wasn't really interested in 1.2v 2A...More like .1 or .2 amps...

Look up grain of wheat bulbs for model trains...

Well, the idea is, with an AA Eneloop, you have 1900mAh and more capacity, and it takes the amps, so use the amps... the capacity stays about the same regardless of the amp draw on an Eneloop, and you get more solid lumens. But if all you are interested in is 2 lumens max on a fresh Alkaline and rapidly dropping, then the Solitaire lamp is your prize.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I understand where you are going.

I will agree, IF we can get such driver for the E series, I'll be all over it.

Just was trying to find a cheap alternative if 'cheap' is available lol

I do have Tana's .8 to 4.2v Nichia triple E head and it is absolutely awesome but I can't bring myself to rotate it into EDC :D

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
3V maglite 2xAAA is rated for 9lm, 2xAA for 14lm

But that is with alkalines, right? It is possible to manufacturer an incandescent bulb with higher current draw at 1,2-1,5V and get the same brightness or higher with a single NiMh or lithium cell, or?