lumens: ratings versus reality

wpa-Bill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I guess the term tool bag was unclear, but it sounds like you and I share in that somewhat undescriptive use of the term. My adult sons laughingly call it my purse because it is always with me and everyone knows not to touch Grandpa's bag.
In response to your questions, I would like a minimum of 50 -75 meters of pretty much daylight type of illumination, but the maximum width of the beam only needs to be 2 - 3 meters. Because I'm using it to scan an area, I really only need about 30 seconds at maximum brightness, but a couple minutes of capacity would be great, with the ability to "throttle back" the output to a more reasonable, longer lasting (say 15 - 30 minutes) of run time at that lowered level. Anything additional would be icing on the cake.
I'm figuring on spending around $300 for the light I select, any thing more or less would be reconciled against my ever expanding chocolate budget. As a fellow non-traditional tool bag user, I'm sure you appreciate significant supply.
Again, thanks for the reply.

wpa-Bill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.
WOW! I'm going to order one of those for a house flashlight. Do you have the direct drive or the regulated? I'm wondering how much brightness you sacrifice with regulation.
This is exactly what I like about this forum, there is no way I could have known about this light with being directed to it.
Thanks again!

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.
WOW! I'm going to order one of those for a house flashlight. Do you have the direct drive or the regulated? I'm wondering how much brightness you sacrifice with regulation.
This is exactly what I like about this forum, there is no way I could have known about this light with being directed to it.
Thanks again!

If you are referring here to my suggestion of the BTU shocker, I have the regulated version. I'm sure a search of the threads here will turn up some reviews although many of them seem to be related to versions modified by Vinh.
If you like the shocker, the Thrunite TN30 may also appeal to you.

Any of the big triples will benefit from the best batteries you can afford.

PM Sent with some additional details.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are going to be some here that are going to disagree with me due to being a newbie, but the Led Lenser P7 + H7 combo is hard to beat for the money.

The P7 is a well made triple A battery light, close to 200 lumens and focus-able from spot to flood. The H7 head lamp is again 200 or so lumens, focus-able from a spot to flood.

The package of P7 and H7 can be found for $65 or so on a popular auction site.

I've got a "few" Surefire P6 lights which used to reside in the glove box, a couple of 6 volt lanterns that rode in the trunk and more that I've lost count of, EDC lights. The Led Lenser lights work well for my applications, and didn't break the bank, unlike to Surefires'.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There are going to be some here that are going to disagree with me due to being a newbie, but the Led Lenser P7 + H7 combo is hard to beat for the money.

The P7 is a well made triple A battery light, close to 200 lumens and focus-able from spot to flood. The H7 head lamp is again 200 or so lumens, focus-able from a spot to flood.

I've got a "few" Surefire P6 lights which used to reside in the glove box, a couple of 6 volt lanterns that rode in the trunk and more that I've lost count of, EDC lights. The Led Lenser lights work well for my applications, and didn't break the bank, unlike to Surefires'.

LOL

On "for the money" based comparisons, sure, surefire is an easy target. But a regulated rechargeable using $65 light can be better than a 200 L Lenser, in many ways depending on what you need performance-wise.

Those AAA's get expensive if you USE the light a lot, its like you're renting the light by the hour. :D You might want more throw/cd, or more flood/L, or more run time, etc.

I DO like the throw to flood on the Lensers, and have a few because of that, but, there are too many disadvantages to them to be in primary rotation.

ven

Flashaholic
[QUOTE=NoNotAgain;4416352

These are 100% fake if both for $65 (unless a very lucky bargain)so what your getting is maybe a good copy or a dodgy one,i have a t7.2(great light i may add) but alone it costs a little more than $65

If your not sure,post pics of you light,serial code on side,also your terminals inside for the cells should be silver not gold(may have changed when the fraudsters got wind)but my guess is there will still be may out there and they dont care...........

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I wasn't going to go there. :)

Of course the lenser Cant Do What THE Poster Asked FOR Anyway.

ven

Flashaholic
True;)

op no light for $150 will do 8000lm,in fact the modded x60vn manages 7500lm and is a beast but almost 3x the expense and imho still a bargain for the output.

$150..........:thinking: i would add too a little and get a fenix tk75vn,at around 4400lm after vinh works his magic and around $65 more its more than worth it.

Now and then special deals come up on the tm series with voucher codes,not one at present though.

$150 is substantial, so imho if i am spending around that amount or more i need to know what it is,what it does and brand reputability.
Added to this you get a light that will see you right,do everything and more and still work after 2yrs not 2 weeks:twothumbs

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L

I have the dome on version,awesome...........only a thought;)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I've purchased are not fakes as I've contacted Led with serial numbers on the lamps purchased. The T7/P7 bodies all have a different serial number. Not saying that the counterfeiters don't have the resources to change serial numbers engraved, but that's a lot more work than just leaving the serial number off.

As for the whole alkaline battery debate, try purchasing CR123A cells or 18650 cells in the middle of God's country when you need a battery. I have a mixed bag of lights most using a assortment of cells just because of availability of different cells.

My Nitecore lights use 18650's, my Fenix's TK41's use AA's, my Surefire's use CR123A. So hopefully if I need a cell I can find one that will work in at least on of my lamps. Bulk packages of AA and AAA cells are cheap at the wholesale club. During last years hurricane season, D cells were not available and the few that I had were used in the radio. Love my big Mag 6 D cell light with the Terralux drop-in.

Finally, I hate counterfeiters. I've been dealing with eBay attempting to get a dealer removed for selling counterfeit items. I sent the dealer a message before the auction close to verify that the item was real Surefire, and even after receiving an assurance that the light was real he sent a counterfeit light. Surefire doesn't seem to care, however Troy Industries did and got one booted from selling.