Lumileds strikes back!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
may i request mod's merge these two threads :).. that thread has got a very unique number too 150005 ;)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
thanks VIren. There are so many different threads on Fenix/jetbeam/wahtever Asian lights in LED, I didn't even notice this has already been talked about.

I'll go look for it now, hope I don't see one too many threads on "look what new lights that look like ____ but isn't" and get lost.

CPF is being flooded with the new generation LED's at lower costs with reasonable quality.... it wont be a surprise if 'they' come out with a new Luxeon based light first ;)

when These LED's surface in 2 years time (guesstimating on K2timeline) It would be worth a look, just wondering what will Western Cree and Eastern Soul have... all I know is Lights will be going north :)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet they pulse the heck out of that to get the high lumen/watt numbers that they're claiming. Most lighting applications use continous (not pulsed) current.

x2x3x2

Banned
So am i right to say that this new LED will run 2A at about 4.15V?
If so, it will be pretty sweet to have a torch putting out ~500 lumens for 1+ hour on let say a 18650.

Question #1: Can 3.7V Li-Ion batts like 18650 and RCR123 handle current draw of 2A+, taking into consideration extra current draw from a single 18650 3.7V cell to reach 4.15V with boost circiut.

Question #2: Any idea how widely available these will be, or will they be like a X-bin Luxeon III?

chris_m

Enlightened
Quick reality check for x2x3x2 - the 2A rating is just a lab theoretical figure. I can confidently predict nobody will be making a light running one at that power level.

Answer #2: Predicted imminent availability is they will be as common as Z-bin Lux 3s :D

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
chris_m said:
Quick reality check for x2x3x2 - the 2A rating is just a lab theoretical figure. I can confidently predict nobody will be making a light running one at that power level.

Wow! I'm impressed that you can so confidently predict the future. Thats usually a losing game around here.

My guess is that if Lumileds releases an LED they believe is capable of handling a 2 amp drive current, someone will make a light that does just that. Whether it will reach 500 lumens in common applications is perhaps a bit more questionable.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
So am i right to say that this new LED will run 2A at about 4.15V?
If so, it will be pretty sweet to have a torch putting out ~500 lumens for 1+ hour on let say a 18650.

Question #1: Can 3.7V Li-Ion batts like 18650 and RCR123 handle current draw of 2A+, taking into consideration extra current draw from a single 18650 3.7V cell to reach 4.15V with boost circiut.

The Li-ion cells can safely provide 1.5C in most instances. That means an LG2400 could come up with 3.6 amps and would be sufficient to drive a white LED at 2 amps with the proper boost circuit. Over the discharge profile of a Li-ion cell, the current draw would probably range from 2.4 to 3.5 amps. Clearly a single RCR123 would not be up to this task. Even two RCR123 in series with a buck convertor would be pushing things a bit.

Miracle

Enlightened
is this still the prototype stage?

or are the led module in the factory boxes already?

:huh2:

Illum

Flashaholic
the fact that this thing needs to draw 2 amps to reach 500 lumens sort of throws me off the interest....2 amps is alot for a battery requirement:ohgeez:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
the fact that this thing needs to draw 2 amps to reach 500 lumens sort of throws me off the interest....2 amps is alot for a battery requirement:ohgeez:

Assuming they can deliver this year (a big if), where else could you get 500 lumens from about 8 watts and a 1mmx1mm point source of light? Thats going to be about 60 lumens per watt, which isn't shabby. And the surface brightness of such a beast means you could build a real throw monster light without a large reflector.

Again, the usual caveats apply - when will we see it, and is it achievable in real world applications?

TMorita

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
The Li-ion cells can safely provide 1.5C in most instances. That means an LG2400 could come up with 3.6 amps and would be sufficient to drive a white LED at 2 amps with the proper boost circuit. Over the discharge profile of a Li-ion cell, the current draw would probably range from 2.4 to 3.5 amps. Clearly a single RCR123 would not be up to this task. Even two RCR123 in series with a buck convertor would be pushing things a bit.

I fly R/C helicopters, and we've been pushing lithium-polymer batts at over 10C for a few years now. The latest generation are rated at over 20C continuous.

So it's fairly trivial to run a white LED at 2 amps...you could do that with a single Thunder Power 1320maH lipo.

Toshi

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that this is possible. If anyone remembers that before the Cree XR-E was the XR Xlamp which was horrible, then came the XR-E.

So I can see the K2 was just testing a new design and the next generation will probably be awesome.

IMO, Lumileds Lux III LEDs have always had great quality and the excellent binning sure does help.

TMorita

Enlightened
Great! 500 lumen flashlights the size of my thumb with a runtime of a few minutes!

:p

Toshi

luminari

Newly Enlightened
This is an interesting line: "The first devices using these technologies will be introduced in a new generation of products during this quarter. These new technologies will continue to proliferate in new, and existing, products throughout the next 12-18 months."

I wonder how the performance of these first devices will be? Will it be a revised K2 (ick) or something of the new 1x1mm^2 form factor? Anyways, not really a question. I see this as good news; at the very least, this news should hopefully spur on Seoul SC and Cree to further innovate.

mdocod

Flashaholic
funny to hear what sounds like complaining about a light source that requires 2 amps to make 500 lumens.

this would mean that a light the size of a Wolf-Eyes 6 series, (or Surefire 6 series) or the like, could be brighter than an incan P91 setup, and run 2-3 times as long... Even if the LED only delivered 400 lumens, and we could use a lens to get 350 out the front, that would still be an incredible advancement for such a small light.

Most li-ion cells I am familiar with are rated for at least 2C, not the 1.5C listed earlier... a single 18650 can safely deliver 4-5amps without a hiccup.

Latest posts