• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lumintop SD26vn - Smallest 26650 Thrower

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the Acebeam EC60vn has more throw, 103K lux, in a single 26650 size light. It's also budget friendly.
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/acebeam-ec60vn-26650-xhp35

Another smaller option is Eagletac TX25C2vn, a single 18650 light with 71K lux.
https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/tx25c2vn-need-spec

As to whether a more technically advanced light will come in the future, of course it will. If we worried about that, we would never buy anything electronic. Pick a light that suits you & buy it.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have a very small budget, but a STRONG DESIRE for a flashlight nearly identical to this Lumintop SD26vn (Throw version)... BUT I have a problem.

This light was released 4 months ago... that's a long time when it comes to technology advancements. I would be extremely regretful if I were to purchase this light, and 1-3 months later, a SMALLER and BETTER THROW flashlight is released. Because of this, I feel obligated to wait until the release of a new, better version of this concept.

I've been wanting this sort of light for a LONG time, ever since the MH20GTvn and the SDminiVN. I never purchased those due to price. The only niche I've filled of this sort, has been the purchase of my awesome Manker U21VN thrower. I LOVE this light, but I am only able to carry it with me once or twice a month, and its size is a burden. I just take it out to shine it into the sky sometimes, or in a big field, but its not practical and NOT pocket friendly.

Honestly, even the Lumintop SD26vn is too large for my taste, as a small framed individual with the preference of tighter over baggy clothing, even the regular Nitecore MH20 produces an overly large highly unwanted bulge whether it be a jacket pocket, or pants pocket. (I don't do the cargo shorts/pants so this Lumintop SD26vn would still be burdensome.

When will an equal size but better throw SDminiVN be released? Something with 80k + lux in the size of a Nitecore MH20. I'd pay 200$ for this.

That is exactly the dilemma with all of these lights! Particularly the 26650 lights have been prolific, and they are improving all of the time. The SD26vn seems to be the best compact thrower ( size for throw), and it's hard to see it topped any time soon ( I don't own one, just going off specs). Some of the earlier lights were superseded by upgraded factory versions and LEDs almost immediately, which can be frustrating if you have just shelled out for the old version! [emoji38] But we love that Vinh is on the cutting edge, and we can't have both. You are wise to be patient if the budget is small. [emoji4]

There is no real answer to your question. The SDminiVN remains one of my favourite carry lights at around 60k Lux, but you know it's there! For a pocketable thrower the discontinued TX25Cvn is tiny and around the same throw. A small head means a small reflector, so it's probably science that's working against you here until technology improves a bit. [emoji4]

Thank you both for the informative replies. The more I think about this, I believe I should stick to the 18650 form factor, rather than 26650. It will mean the difference between carrying it 60% of the time, or 15% of the time. The other 25% would likely go to my SC63 neutral white mule.

So rather than worrying about a new 26650 compact thrower coming on the scene, I should concern myself with a new SDminiVN. Also, that light @150$ is very expensive and an entire year old!!! I'd buy it for 70-80$ despite being outdated, but I can't bring myself to spend 150$ on something so ancient.

I'm looking for 75k+lux / 500m+ throw in a light equal sized to the Nitecore MH20. With 1100+ Lumens. Basically a miniature Manker U21vn.

Anyone know of any super ultra compact 18650 THROWERs (nothing over 35-36mm head or its 60% EDC carry will turn into less than 20%) that top the SDminiVN and Eagtac TX25C2vn?

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
TBH, with your requirements (tiny, single 18650, thrower) it really doesn't get much better than the MH20GTvn xpg2 pdt or the SDminiVN xpg2 pdt. I also have the TX25C2vn on my compact thrower list but it's noticeably longer than the other 2.

Personally, I prefer the MH20GTvn because there is less a chance of accidental turn-ons and it's more aggressive looks. Unfortunately, I don't think Vinh makes the MH20GTvn xpg2 anymore.

Getting back to your question tho, the problem with throw is that you need deep reflectors to -reeeally- throw, but that depth obviously adds to the size of the light. LED manufacturers have mainly been focusing on big lumens (because that's the current measurement that the Joe Public uses to decide his purchase) and the R&D of smaller-die-better-intensity LEDs have been put on the back burner as their only use is portable long-distance lighting and flashlights make only a fraction of their total sales.

Your other option for ultimate cheap throw is an aspheric lens lights... or zoomies but their downside is that once you zoom out, you end up with an ugly square beam. I'm actually kinda waiting to see if vinh does something with the SL Zoom18 and the nichia 319c :)

Also, as I'm writing this, I'm starting to wonder why we hate on squares so much. If there was a star-shaped LED (or batman-shaped or uhm, bird-shaped LED), would that be more acceptable?

Thank you for your comment.... but that is TERRIBLY depressing. Why is my only options 10-20 month old flashlights that fits the bill? Two of which are already discontinued... Why is there no current, great 18650 SMALL thrower, something the equivalent of this thread's Lumintop SD26VN in 18650 format? Its soooooo long overdue! I can't buy an expensive piece of technology more than 3-4 months old without regretting purchase knowing that something soon will replace it and I will wish I had that new better product instead. If my budget wasnt a problem, sure I'd just buy both, but I have to purchase when something is relatively new to get the most value out of its performance / relevance to modern technology. (Modern in the flashlight world is like 3-6 months, no more than that)

Is there REALLY no better option than a discontinued MH20GTvn / Old TX25C2vn / Discontinued SDminiVN?

Something of the same size class as above or smaller, with 75k+ lux...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a comment about your only choices being "outdated"... there are times when a technology becomes static, but just because something isn't brand new does not mean it won't meet your criteria. Now obviously LED technology is far from static and we are seeing increases in efficiency, efficacy and CRI. Although I have many newer, better and brighter lights, a two year old light still meets 99% of what I need....

tonkem

Enlightened
I am considering purchasing my first Vinh light. I am torn between this light with the XPL-pdt or the Olight R50Vn with either LED option. The purpose of the light will be for throw, but I do not like pencil thin beams. I watched the video comparison for the R50 VN and I like the amount of flood and decent throw the XHP50 shaved dome has but it looks like the XHP70.2 throws almost as good with more lumens. I currently have a zebralight SC63 CW that I carry everywhere, but I find myself wanting more throw from time to time. I do not want a multi cell light, and prefer the 18650 format, since I have many 18650 batteries, but only want a single cell light. I am open to the 26650 battery lights, but would like some opinions regarding the above mentioned lights, in comparison. Size is a huge issue, as I have had all the big lights (Polarion, etc) and would much prefer a small single cell light, to any larger impressive output multicell light. Also, how hot, on turbo, do these lights get, and do they have thermal regulation to step down, or do you have to drop them down yourself? What would be your suggestion from the SD26vn, or Olight R50vn (either LED) or other options that would me the above? Thanks for your input, in advance.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your comment.... but that is TERRIBLY depressing. Why is my only options 10-20 month old flashlights that fits the bill? Two of which are already discontinued... Why is there no current, great 18650 SMALL thrower, something the equivalent of this thread's Lumintop SD26VN in 18650 format? Its soooooo long overdue! I can't buy an expensive piece of technology more than 3-4 months old without regretting purchase knowing that something soon will replace it and I will wish I had that new better product instead. If my budget wasnt a problem, sure I'd just buy both, but I have to purchase when something is relatively new to get the most value out of its performance / relevance to modern technology. (Modern in the flashlight world is like 3-6 months, no more than that)

Is there REALLY no better option than a discontinued MH20GTvn / Old TX25C2vn / Discontinued SDminiVN?

Something of the same size class as above or smaller, with 75k+ lux...

I must discourage you. Even when you buy a screamingly new light and feel happy most likely evil developers sit by their working tables and computers and already create an even better, powerful, more energy and heat effective, better looking flashlight... Just because they are evil and want you suffer ;)

This is life which is evil as well :D

I have managed to purchase several lights which became outdated in the mail because of newer models released at the moment, so I know what I say :)

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the Nitecore Concept 1? Some people have balked at the UI, but in use it is easy & very useful....1800 Lumen Turbo, moonlight from off if desired, memory, tactical and general mode selection ...one of the smallest 18650 light that does not instantly overheat on Turbo and it looks cool too...

hahoo

Enlightened
Have you considered the Nitecore Concept 1? Some people have balked at the UI, but in use it is easy & very useful....1800 Lumen Turbo, moonlight from off if desired, memory, tactical and general mode selection ...one of the smallest 18650 light that does not instantly overheat on Turbo and it looks cool too...

only 12kcd throw
man thats weak these days
they got thumb sized lights doing more than that now..

Last edited: