• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lumintop/TLF/BLF FW3Avn - Most Compact Triple/Quad

Keitho

Enlightened
SST20 clear optic quad floody 4000K just arrived. Polished button and V54 make this a stunner of a light. It makes me wish it were the dark winter! Still learning and getting used to the UI, which is powerful.

I've only very rarely had a ZL SC62/63/64 turn on by accident when clipped inside my front pocket--carrying there 16 hours per day at least 6 days a week for years, I maybe had 4 cases of light-induced "hot pocket". Somehow, in my first couple hours, the FW3AVN turned on twice in my pocket. I'm pretty surprised, being a tail switch and all. It might be an unlucky combination of my pants, anatomy, and a new light that I'm inadvertently bumping....

Anyway, the momentary mode is probably what I'll use during my work day as a type of lockout (5 clicks)--its most useful for me at work anyway, when I just need quick bursts. I love that the momentary mode is settable at any light level--no need for a "tactical" turbo blast at work. Even the bike flasher is dimmable. Once the sun goes down, I'll probably switch to the very cool "lockout" mode, which isn't really a lockout. It still works in momentary mode to moonlight--perfect for late night bathroom trips, and only 4 clicks away from being back in "standard" mode.

Looking forward to some FW3Avn "candlelight" tonight (includes a sleep timer...did I mention that I'm still learning the UI?), and some more rigorous runtime and beam comparisons to my beloved SC64c. Its a high-CRI EDC fight to the death!

SST20 clear optic quad floody 4000K just arrived. Polished button and V54 make this a stunner of a light. It makes me wish it were the dark winter! Still learning and getting used to the UI, which is powerful.

I've only very rarely had a ZL SC62/63/64 turn on by accident when clipped inside my front pocket--carrying there 16 hours per day at least 6 days a week for years, I maybe had 4 cases of light-induced "hot pocket". Somehow, in my first couple hours, the FW3AVN turned on twice in my pocket. I'm pretty surprised, being a tail switch and all. It might be an unlucky combination of my pants, anatomy, and a new light that I'm inadvertently bumping....

Anyway, the momentary mode is probably what I'll use during my work day as a type of lockout (5 clicks)--its most useful for me at work anyway, when I just need quick bursts. I love that the momentary mode is settable at any light level--no need for a "tactical" turbo blast at work. Even the bike flasher is dimmable. Once the sun goes down, I'll probably switch to the very cool "lockout" mode, which isn't really a lockout. It still works in momentary mode to moonlight--perfect for late night bathroom trips, and only 4 clicks away from being back in "standard" mode.

Looking forward to some FW3Avn "candlelight" tonight (includes a sleep timer...did I mention that I'm still learning the UI?), and some more rigorous runtime and beam comparisons to my beloved SC64c. Its a high-CRI EDC fight to the death!

Barely cracking the head locks out the switch (1/32 turn). I use 1/8 turn and can tighten it enough with one hand in milliseconds to comfortably carry this way. You don't have to have it very tight to work just fine (unlike the tail section, which you want tight anyway because the switch is not glued or secured at all).

Very impressive 4 x W2. So I'm guessing limited runtime on max turbo and that it heats up very quick!

I have the triple W1 (fiat lux!!) and "limited" run time / "heats up very quick" are extreme understatements. By comarparison to the D4 XPL-HI 6500k, this thing is an actual fire starter on turbo... I'm saying that with 2,000 lumens, so 3750 is INSTANT overheat, I'm talking 3 seconds before you regret it lol. There's just not enough heat sink on this little guy to warrant 3k+ lumens on any usable duration. I am glad I got the triple W1 instead!

Has anyone received a FW3A quad W2 yet? Curious about your experiences with the heat / thermal step downs. Is it still viable on turbo or is it instant drop with zero practical use? I much prefer the ramping step down as opposed to the interval step down on the D4... much less disturbing to require step down if it's not blinking and obvious lol.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said ⬇️ 🤔

Has anyone received a FW3A quad W2 yet? Curious about your experiences with the heat / thermal step downs. Is it still viable on turbo or is it instant drop with zero practical use? I much prefer the ramping step down as opposed to the interval step down on the D4... much less disturbing to require step down if it's not blinking and obvious lol.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Vinh I know you're busy with all your projects, but could you take a few minutes to answer the above question. I would love to order one of these however if the W2 Is not a practical late, I will just order stock. It'll save me a bundle. Thanks in advance

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

IMO none of the LED options in this light is practical. Everything gets HOT in this light weight! Quads does get hot faster on turbo but handle heat to lumen ratio better on lower levels due to greater efficiency. W2 gets hot FAST! Short 10 seconds burst once in a while is cool but yeah thats all one can expect.

Brass, Copper, and Ti version coming with all of the TurboGlo disc coming ;-)

IMO none of the LED options in this light is practical. Everything gets HOT in this light weight! Quads does get hot faster on turbo but handle heat to lumen ratio better on lower levels due to greater efficiency. W2 gets hot FAST! Short 10 seconds burst once in a while is cool but yeah thats all one can expect.

Brass, Copper, and Ti version coming with all of the TurboGlo disc coming ;-)

Wow... a brass or copper version sounds absolutely stunning in this light!! I might actually get the W2 in copper!!! Could double the 100% turbo runtime to 20 seconds before notable step down instead of 10 eh?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow... a brass or copper version sounds absolutely stunning in this light!! I might actually get the W2 in copper!!! Could double the 100% turbo runtime to 20 seconds before notable step down instead of 10 eh?

yah but then will take forever to cool down too ahhahaha

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you tell me!!!

219b 4500k in copper for me when ya git one

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sure is a classy one! To me, copper versions of smallish lights like this make the most sense. After a certain point the weight puts me off but that's just me.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
FW3Tvn now available

guvCreZ.jpg

Lkhdisc.jpg

1g4MUe7.jpg

YMQi4qH.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
This particular version really appeals to me and Vinh, that polishing job is just... wow!

I really want one of these in W2 but with Project Genesis getting close, I don't want to stretch the budget and miss that boat! That D18 W2 just 'followed me home' so I really have to pick and choose where the flashlight money gets spent. The D18 was on my want list for quite some time and it was the discounted price that pushed me over the edge.:clap:

boo5ted

Enlightened
FW3Tvn now available

https://i.imgur.com/guvCreZ.jpg[img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Lkhdisc.jpg[img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/1g4MUe7.jpg[img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/YMQi4qH.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Had mine almost two weeks now, absolutely LOVE it.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48636410231_772af4d94f_c.jpg

48685268563_9fb2cc730d_z.jpg