Lupine Betty TL S Review (7 x XM-L U2!)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we get a representative shot of the low mode?

It would be great if they can do a click click hold to get to a 5 lumen moon light mode or something.

Also, how do you know the bin of the XML? I have not been able to find reference anywhere on lupines site. Was the U2 bin version a special just for the review?

Thanks

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we get a representative shot of the low mode?

It would be great if they can do a click click hold to get to a 5 lumen moon light mode or something.

Also, how do you know the bin of the XML? I have not been able to find reference anywhere on lupines site. Was the U2 bin version a special just for the review?

Thanks

A low vs high beamshot is going to be like black and white. Take the existing beamshot done on high and just imagine it on the same exposure as black - done.

According to Lupine all XM-Ls they use are U2.

tonkem

Enlightened
Nice review. Thanks. I have a Betty TL-S and Wilma TL and they are great lights, and turn darkness into daytime :) They are the cream of the crop. I do agree that it would be almost perfect, if they had some lower brightnesses in their lights, but they are primarily a bike light manufacturer, and for that, they are fantastic. Both the Betty and Wilma are small lights for their output. I got the Wilma TL first, then when they came out with the Betty, I snapped up a Betty 26 deg head, to add to my extra battery tank, to effectively make a Betty TL-S. They both are a bit big for EDC, but I would carry the Wilma in my cargo pant pocket very comfortably, so that 1100 lumens are never far away.

MikeF

Enlightened
Subwoofer, great review!! Can you tell me if you know the size of the threaded hole in this image? Hopefully it's 1/4"-20. Thanks again!!!

The underneath surface has a flat recess with threaded hole for attaching the optional bicycle mount (not on review).

25Bettythread-.jpg

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subwoofer, great review!! Can you tell me if you know the size of the threaded hole in this image? Hopefully it's 1/4"-20. Thanks again!!!

The underneath surface has a flat recess with threaded hole for attaching the optional bicycle mount (not on review).

The hole is M4, which seems to be the same on all bike mountable lights I have (I have removed various mounts and swapped them around).

MikeF

Enlightened
The hole is M4, which seems to be the same on all bike mountable lights I have (I have removed various mounts and swapped them around).
Thanks Subwoofer, I just ordered one this am. I just need to adapt it to 1/4"-20tpi and I'll be good to go.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Subwoofer, I just ordered one this am. I just need to adapt it to 1/4"-20tpi and I'll be good to go.

A braver man than me, as you'll need to drill the hole larger and tap it, however, you won' be disappointed, it is awesome!!

A lot of very bright lights go through my hands, but this one still stands out, for quality and quantity of light.

hahoo

Enlightened
do they really put all that crappy looking writing on the handle ?
id rather look in a manual myself......
like putting bumperstickers on a brand new mercedes.....

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
do they really put all that crappy looking writing on the handle ?
id rather look in a manual myself......
like putting bumperstickers on a brand new mercedes.....

As there are so many options, and it does make a difference how it is set up for a particular task, I've found having the modes printed on the battery tank to be really useful. Otherwise I'd have to keep digging out the manual which would be a pain. Considering your hand covers them up when you use it, does it really make much difference?

This is am awesome light built to be used, not looked at and admired.

MikeF

Enlightened
As there are so many options, and it does make a difference how it is set up for a particular task, I've found having the modes printed on the battery tank to be really useful. Otherwise I'd have to keep digging out the manual which would be a pain. Considering your hand covers them up when you use it, does it really make much difference?

This is am awesome light built to be used, not looked at and admired.

Subwoofer,
Thanks again for all the time and insight in your reviews.

I for one am grateful that Lupine put the programming mnemonics on Betty. I've had occasion to use them several times since she started working for me. I got my Betty on Thursday and used it at work on Friday. It is now mounted to my work Camcorder on a Noga arm using the Thorlabs 1/4" to M4 Stainless Steel threaded adapter.

According to my camera when I white balanced to Betty the Color Temperature is 5600K, perfect for my uses. Very early Friday morning , around 4:30 am while covering a story with Betty's help I was able to throw enough light from about 275 feet to get very usable video of the top of the Boulder Courthouse from a street corner 1/2 block away and 60-70 feet in the air. I can't post the video since it was work video what with copyrights and stuff.

The Noga arm is made in Israel and allows precise aiming of Betty with a fully adjustable friction control and rock solid locking. It is adopted for camera work by many shooters in my market. The threaded adapter came from www.thorlabs.com and is beautifully made. It is the AS25E4M and is 1/4"-20 female to M4 male threads. Thorlabs also included a free little box of "Lab Snacks" as a thank you for my order.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! The picture of it lighting up that lodge is awesome. That is one nice light. I`m scared to ask though...how much?

tonkem

Enlightened
Wow! The picture of it lighting up that lodge is awesome. That is one nice light. I`m scared to ask though...how much?

Betty TL with 5ah battery is $869 and Betty TL-S $749. Expensive, but nice. You might look at the zebralight s6330 as well very bright, small package.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subwoofer, will you be getting the Betty TL2 for review? Thanks.

I'd certainly be happy to review it, but have been in contact with Lupine recently and it was not offered. I'll ask next time we are in touch.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Amazing review. German quality. You pay the price for it. I just went from an Acura to a BMW to a Porsche. There is a difference.