Lupine Piko X Duo: Any real world experiences/reviews?

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
Considering this model as the last headlamp I'll ever buy. From everything I've been able to find out about it, it is very well constructed, solid and produces both considerable throw and flood in its 4 settings, as one reviewer put it, small but unbelievably powerful, the Noisy Cricket of the headlamp realm.

Most of the reviews I've come across on YouTube are in German, so I'm not able to understand much of what they discuss. Fairly limited info since its a new model and given its price, not a commonly-purchased one.

Before I pull the trigger on what will amount to half a grand for a headlight ($450 plus shipping and taxes for me in Canada means $550), I was wondering if anyone here has any experience either with this model specifically or with Lupine in general, which I take to be a top notch product.

Best,

Chris

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
I did see that review and enjoyed it, liked the analogy of the Piko being like the "noisy cricket" from the MIB movie.

haoleSan

Newly Enlightened
I just received this light the other day. I am by no means a light expert but own a Surefire E2D Defender, Surefire Minimus and a few mini lights (Fenix & Sunwayman). I wanted a light to fly fish with and explore the wilds of Kaua'i. While I have not had the op to test it in those environments yet I did use it in the next best place - NYC in the blackout. That said, the light is a beast especially considering its size. The beam is just awesome - it has a large hotspot, incredible spill and the transition between the two is exceptionally smooth.

It is presented in a package you would expect for the price - the packaging, case, manual, accessories etc are all very nice etc. The build quality is superb and as one fella mentioned, the light is LIGHT - feather light. I think the headband is the heaviest part :) It feels no heavier than the Surefire Minimus.

The UI is very easy to use and fairly variable, meaning there are a decent amount of options. I have the 1.7 Ah Smartcore batteries and I love the battery meter on them. Being able to use them as rear awareness lights is pretty sweet as well. The headbands quick change battery slot is killer but I would have liked it to be a little "tighter" - meaning I feel like if I jarred it hard that it may fall out but I have not put it through its paces to confirm this yet.

Overall I am very happy the light. I am a stickler for quality and I don't believe in the old adage of "you get what you pay for" because it simply not true. In this case it is - from top to bottom. Lupine covered all the bases. I purchased the light from Gretna Bikes and they are just awesome to deal with.

Having read so many reviews on this site I understand this is clearly not as technical or visual but I thought I would lend my two cents.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really puzzled by the absence of proper twin-beam lights for surface use among high-end headlamps, especially given manufacturers who already use multiple LEDs.

Certainly, the UI can be more complicated if giving reasonable control over LEDs with different beamshapes (especially if control is via a single button), but that is a solvable issue, especially in lights where various operating modes are selectable, and I would have thought a light done properly by a quality company could attract an enthusiastic following fairly quickly.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
My friend is a wildlife biologist doing research on Amur Tigers and Leopards. He knows of my budding love of LED lighting. His friend, Tobias Herfurth, works for Lupine. They make some sick lights. Drooling over the Betty R 12 set.

Last edited:

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
As I mentioned in another post, I did return the Piko simply because I found the run time and high end of 900 lumens not to be long/powerful enough for me. I contacted Gretna bikes--they've been outstanding to deal with--and decided to return the Piko for a Wilma. Brighter output, longer run times. I also added an 8.2Ah Smartcore battery to supplement the 5.6Ah Smartcore that the light comes with.

I can only say good things about the amazing build quality of the Lupine, the overall "you-get-what-you-pay-for" of this product, and the excellent customer service of Gretna bikes.

Chris