bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
from a Luxeon press release:

YAK-01_sm.jpg

Looks like about 40 LS per headlamp...

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I calculate correctly,

1 LS = 1W approx (for a current model) and the efficiency is about the same as a halogen, that only gives a measly 40 watts or so. Maybe these are the new 2W (or 5W) luxeons? Then you'd be getting 80W or 200W !!! Of course, I'm sure they'd underdrive them for longetivity so realistically 75W or 150W? Just speculating... Anyways, if things get hot, they already have a 'built-in' heat exchanger nearby!
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

While it would look cool, just imagine if you crashed the car and damaged just one of the headlamps....

At around $8 per Luxeon, it'll cost $320 to replace just the light source!!!!

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Realistically the price will be in the same field as the HID, and that will slowly decrease in time. i wonder how well these Luxeons react to weather extremes? Will they melt snow off like a halogen when its -40? probably will have to have heating wires in the lamp assembly lense to do that.Eventually the encapsulated LED will be bigger until its a solo emitter and compete head to head with a halogen in light output, I believe its already being done behind closed doors
wink.gif

Anybody care to guess what a 2" wide Luxeon type of LED would put out in candlepower?
shocked.gif