LuxLuthor's Most Powerful Maglite Mods List

Spypro

Enlightened
About 12000 lumen with the typical voltage... yeah it's mad but we all like that :D

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I had a feeling that the Vaporizer was going to use a 400W bulb such as the 64663. About 22000 bulb lumens when overdriven to 39.4V. That bulb rocks with the 9 inch Blitz reflector, but it really needs an even larger one. The filament is rather large. I wonder how floody the beam will be when using even an FM 3.5" reflector? It will be outrageous regardless.

I am really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Regards,
Mark

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I had a feeling that the Vaporizer was going to use a 400W bulb such as the 64663. About 22000 bulb lumens when overdriven to 39.4V. That bulb rocks with the 9 inch Blitz reflector, but it really needs an even larger one. The filament is rather large. I wonder how floody the beam will be when using even an FM 3.5" reflector? It will be outrageous regardless.

I am really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Regards,
Mark

Yeah, there's pro's and con's to all setups. Thanks for your PM information, as I separately have a Blitz coming with clear standard filter that will use the larger Emolis. In addition, a 3rd project....guess how many of these babies will fit in this U.S. Navy light?

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Yeah, there's pro's and con's to all setups. Thanks for your PM information, as I separately have a Blitz coming with clear standard filter that will use the larger Emolis. In addition, a 3rd project....guess how many of these babies will fit in this U.S. Navy light?

I have that same light except the handle is yellow too. I give up, how many large Emolis will fit in there? What are your plans for the Navy light?

Regards,
Mark

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

JetskiMark

Enlightened
.... In addition, a 3rd project....guess how many of these babies will fit in this U.S. Navy light?

Without having the cells to actually try in there, it looks like 24 might fit. If you could fit 27 (9s 3p) in there, you could overdrive a PAR36 (direct swap) GE 4596 to over 300 watts for about 55 minutes. That's what I will probably do to mine. What are your plans?

Regards,
Mark

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm saddened to see that the Aurora and Aurora2 are not on your list. The Aurora debuted in the winter of 2003 and was the first of the truly "super" Maglight mods. Beyond just bulb and battery upgrades, it rebuilt the concept of an incandescent hotwire from the ground up. I acknowledge the improvements in sophistication and power of the generations that came after, but wherever I am now, I would rest more peacefully knowing that these lights and the inspiration they fostered were not forgotten.

Wilkey

Might be good to mention that in the origonal Aurora thread the Aroura made over 4000 lumens.. I cant remember which bulb was used (wasnt a 623) but i'll go back through the thread tonight as ive got it bookmarked at home.

Shane

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
For the Record

4/30/2006

21 cells driving the 24v 250w lamp in a FM host with Custom extended tailcap :)

http://images17.fotki.com/v306/photos/1/141020/3830456/IMG_2233-vi.jpg

Hey, that's not fair playing battery merry-go-round on me. :crackup: This thread you posted on FF's is clearly using what looks like a Mad MaxaBeam battery pack of 20 cells. :ironic: :huh:

This pix, in particular is where I counted the 20 cells: ====>>> http://images20.fotki.com/v380/photos/1/141020/3830456/IMG_0490-vi.jpg

PS) Knowing the demands of this light, I would not rely on an FM 21s pack like that in terms of resistance and contact.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's not fair playing battery merry-go-round on me. :crackup: This thread you posted on FF's is clearly using what looks like a Mad MaxaBeam battery pack of 20 cells. :ironic: :huh:

This pix, in particular is where I counted the 20 cells: ====>>> http://images20.fotki.com/v380/photos/1/141020/3830456/IMG_0490-vi.jpg

PS) Knowing the demands of this light, I would not rely on an FM 21s pack like that in terms of resistance and contact.

I built the 21 cell light to show off at a CPF get together. After the get together the host was turned into an HID.

Resistance at 10 amps with 1/16th inch thick brass?

The other light with 20 cells was built for EricMack.

Mac

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appears as if the 64663, or the 65665 (half the price of the 64663) would be the pinnacle of low voltage bulbs for tubular handheld lights. A nine, or ten cell 4S3P series wired Moli pack would do these bulbs portable justice :cool: . I wonder in the FM3 reflectors would be able to handle the heat :thinking: . Now if only an appropriate host were available for purchase :mecry: ...

Last edited:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Glad to see the list expanding to include more reasonable lights like the rop. Keep it going lux. :twothumbs I like it, even without a squatchablaster on there. lol.

g

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, ur the man with all the skills, & insane toys. You wouldn't happen to have a spare Vaporizer lying around for me? :naughty:

can't wait to see pics & beamshots.