LuxLuthor's Most Powerful Maglite Mods List

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yea, were going to need pics of the Vaporizer, it can't be on the list without verification :D. LOL..

I was trying to get a 400W bulb to work in an elephant, but settled (for now) on this 250W bulb.

I still have to test the GE (Hungary) 275W, but the 400W has some unique challenges. I'll have to come up with some more new names. :devil:

Vaporizer.jpg

Spypro

Enlightened
The more I'm looking at this forum the more I want to create a monster.
I really like the idea of a 64458 bulb in a Mag body.
I looked at a lot of threads about building a "Mag458" and I have some questions:

I know that I must have the bulb, the Borofloat lens, KIU bi-pin socket, metal reflector, but when I comes to battery I get confused.

My goal is to have the 64458 driven at ~20-21 volts.
I want to keep it simple so no dual, tri or quad bored Mag body. I do not own the necessary equipments to do so.

What would be the best battery option in regard of the voltage I want to apply ?

I saw people speaking of FET, MOSFET, tailcap 10A switch, Judco 10A switch. I'm not sure but I think those things are there to prevent the flashlight parts from melting. Am I right ?
Do I need one (or more) of those in a "Mag458" ?
Do I need to modify the stock switch ?
This is the only part where I get confused.
I think I can get the KIU socket on the stock switch without problems (yeah, I'm a newB modder, my only mod is my M@g-85) and the other parts together.

Thanks !

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goal is to have the 64458 driven at ~20-21 volts.
I want to keep it simple so no dual, tri or quad bored Mag body. I do not own the necessary equipments to do so.

What would be the best battery option in regard of the voltage I want to apply ?

I saw people speaking of FET, MOSFET, tailcap 10A switch, Judco 10A switch. I'm not sure but I think those things are there to prevent the flashlight parts from melting. Am I right ?
Do I need one (or more) of those in a "Mag458" ?
Do I need to modify the stock switch ?
This is the only part where I get confused.
I think I can get the KIU socket on the stock switch without problems (yeah, I'm a newB modder, my only mod is my M@g-85) and the other parts together.

Thanks !
Without boring, your only real option is a 3x5 pack of Elite1700 AAs from LuxLuthor. That will give you 18V nominal. This will allow you to operate the 458 without any sort of soft-starting. If you want to get into the 20+V area, you're going to need a 3x6 pack of Elite1700 AAs AND some sort of soft-starting. You can start the 458 on 16 cells without soft-starting. I've done it with 17 cells. 18 will flash the bulb on startup. The Elite 1700s hold up really well under load so don't expect battery voltage sag to save your bulb. They hold over 1.2V until half their capacity is delivered.
FETs/MOSFETs are high current low voltage electronic switches. They can handle 10 times the current that would melt the Judco. A suped up 458 will draw 11+ Amps. The Judco should handle it but will get warm. A MOSFET will shrug off 11A like it's not there. Even the best modded Mag switch is on the edge at 11A. It won't last long. I would suggest the Judco or MOSFET switch. Personally, I like the MOSFET switch.

Spypro

Enlightened
The 3x6 pack of Elite1700 looks like the way to go. I already own an AW softstart switch (in my Mag 4xC). I could use is new softstart switch for D size Mag.

Thank you for the explanation about the MOSFET switch.

So I will have to put a MOSFET socket into the KIU socket ?

Thank again !

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3x6 pack of Elite1700 looks like the way to go. I already own an AW softstart switch (in my Mag 4xC). I could use is new softstart switch for D size Mag.

Thank you for the explanation about the MOSFET switch.

So I will have to put a MOSFET socket into the KIU socket ?

Thank again !
The AW softstart has the bulb socket you need. You don't need to add anything. If you don't use the AW softstarter you will need a KIU socket and some sort of high current switch (Judco or MOSFET). Please read the specs of the AW soft start switch. The 458 pushed to 20+ volts is over 200W. I'd PM AW and see if he recommends his softstarter at 20V and 11 amps.

Spypro

Enlightened
If I understand correctly: I don't need a MOSFET if I use the softstart switch from AW ?

Spypro

Enlightened
Ok thank ;)

Now I need to figure out how to put 18 AA in a 6D...
Is there an 18AA > D holder out there ?

There is a list of components I made tonight:

****** Battery ******
18 Elite1700 cells

****** Lens ******
52.1mm x 2mm Borofloat lens

****** Reflector ******
Smooth metal (aluminium) reflector

****** Bulb ******
Osram 64458-S bulb

****** Host ******
Maglite 6D

****** Modified switch ******
AW's Mag D Incan Driver

Maybe I'll need a new charger because I will never see the end with my Energizer charger (4 slots) with 18 cells.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thank ;)

Now I need to figure out how to put 18 AA in a 6D...
Is there an 18AA > D holder out there ?

There is a list of components I made tonight:

****** Battery ******
18 Elite1700 cells

****** Lens ******
52.1mm x 2mm Borofloat lens

****** Reflector ******
Smooth metal (aluminium) reflector

****** Bulb ******
Osram 64458-S bulb

****** Host ******
Maglite 6D

****** Modified switch ******
AW's Mag D Incan Driver

Maybe I'll need a new charger because I will never see the end with my Energizer charger (4 slots) with 18 cells.
With the amount of current flowing during use, you really need to have a pack MADE. LuxLuthor makes custom packs. He welds the cells together and shrink wraps them. Comments by those that have purchased them say they're very well made. A cell holder has too many contact points. Each one represents resistance that turns into lost voltage and heat.
Also, a pack of AAs that's 6 cells long is only 290mm that's 4.8 D cells long. You don't need a 6D, you need a 5D. When you order your pack, tell Lux that it's going into a 5D Mag and he may be able to build a spacer into the pack to make it fit perfectly into the 5D. If you use a 6D, you'll end up with 70mm of empty space.
you're definitely going to need a new charger. Once the cells are assembled into a pack there's no separating them. This one should work nicely...
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=837

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the infos !
I'll PM LuxLuthor regarding a custom pack.
Only a 5D, that's great. I'll look for a red body one.

Thank again :)

DM51

Flashaholic
... and if you really want to do the bulb proper justice, you could consider one of these for it - I think there's still 1 red one left...

Spypro

Enlightened
Those turbo heads by Fivemega are works of art. They are expensive but they looks like worth every $ spent.
I take a look at them :)

chimneycheck

Newly Enlightened
Wow LuxLuthor

This has a great amount of information that might not be available anywhere else.

Helps me to really make my decisions on what mod to and not to attempt.

Thanks