LuxLuthor's Most Powerful Maglite Mods List

R@ndom

Enlightened
I think the databank 70 should be included on this list as it keeps about as much of the mag as the current no.1.

DM51

Flashaholic
I think the databank 70 should be included on this list as it keeps about as much of the mag as the current no.1.
There's a thread called The BIG Lights which lists most of the ground-breaking and spectacular innovations made by CPFers. The DataBank 70 is there, as are LuxLuthor's magnificently lethal contributions and many others...

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM deserves to be on LuxLuthor's list for his monster Mag -- a 458 bulb driven by 17 1/2D NiMH cells. I put a FM 3" head on it, and JimmyM later built a MossFET switch for it. That's more than 20 volts with serious resistance fixes, and the bulb didn't blow.

The massive battery -- the light was about 3 feet long -- gave it really decent runtime. JimmyM sold it to me, and -- after a ton of fun -- I sold it to someone in Germany. I don't know where it is now. I stored it by setting it upright on its head, reverse candle mode. It's early, experimental switch came on by itself one day. Fortunately, I was home. What I smelled was a hole being burned through my floor.

Total lumens are tough to figure, but it put my old X990 to shame. I put it on a poacher who sneaked up to my cabin one night. Lit up the inside of his cab like he was on the sun. I thought his upholstery might spontaneously combust, but he peeled out in a hurry. There was either a cigarette in his mouth or his plaid shirt was smoking.

Here's the photo: From left to right: Mag 6C ROP; Mag 623; JS's regulated TL 11; Mag 85; JimmyM's Monster; X990

DSC00716.jpg

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that thing is a monster. Have you hit any home runs with it?
:drool:
How much did it weigh?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Josey, I have the 64458 in the #6 spot with 1 less cell, so it gives that bulb a good public awareness exposure. No doubt the 17th cell pushes it even further.

However, in general I tried to list mods that were relatively accessible to build, and mostly with ones that I own, and can do a side-by-side to verify their status. The length of your light makes it relatively obscure.

In reality, with AlanB and JimmyM's drivers being able to push existing bulbs to a higher, regulated output (rather than direct drive)...many of my guestimates in first post can push an existing bulb voltage higher.

One of these days, I'll add some worthy updated models, like FM's CL-1909. I'm distracted with just getting into new Knives hobby.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lux:

Not only does the 17th cell push the bulb a lot harder, but the 1/2D high-current cells at 4Ah don't sag much under load. You're right that it's too big a light for most people, but dang it sure put out a lot of light.

But I'll leave you to do the list organizing. I appreciate your list a lot. Thanks.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these days, I'll add some worthy updated models, like FM's CL-1909. I'm distracted with just getting into new Knives hobby.

I have a couple of the FM1909's on order, will try it out in the 3xD Maglite, hoping that it will replace the 1185 that is in it now.........btw in my case, the knives came first than I saw the light, so to speak....

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of the FM1909's on order, will try it out in the 3xD Maglite, hoping that it will replace the 1185 that is in it now.........btw in my case, the knives came first than I saw the light, so to speak....

Got the bulbs today and yep the light is brighter with this in it, compared to the same light with 1185.

I wonder if someone could work out the approximate lumens coming out of this thing.......just for the record the light is as follows.

2xD Maglite with 65 mm extension tube, shortened spring and original tailcap.
Boro lens and alloy reflector.
AW soft start/three level switch.
3x D Kaidomain protected cells.
1x FM1909 bulb.

And that is it.

It feels as if these items are made for each other.......

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xD Maglite with 65 mm extension tube, shortened spring and original tailcap.
Boro lens and alloy reflector.
AW soft start/three level switch.
3x D Kaidomain protected cells.
1x FM1909 bulb

Replace the batteries with three of 26650
Use braid copper wire instead of tail spring.
Your batteries never hold the voltage under heavy load like IMRs do.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Replace the batteries with three of 26650
Use braid copper wire instead of tail spring.
Your batteries never hold the voltage under heavy load like IMRs do.

Sounds great!

This incredible FM-1909 bulb is going to make me update my list on page one soon. :thumbsup: When I get the perfect setup for it, I'm gonna name it "The Varooj." About time he got some credit around here!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like 3 of those 26650s would fit pretty well in a 3D maglite with a very low profile spring. It seems like you wouldn't even need to de-anodize the tailcap. A spring that is virtually flat should work in the normal position.

One of these bulbs with 3 IMR 26650s in a 3D maglite would make a very inexpensive 2000+ lumen light with a good half hour of runtime...

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with my "not recommended" 3xD Kai protected cells, this is now my brightest light that I have (not even fully charged) without a doubt. It beats my 1185 as well as the WE 24W HID lights. The only issue is that with the standard Mag head/bezel, you can not get a narrow beam......I need some advice on which of the FM custom heads/reflectors I should get to make this a thrower, I am looking for one of the smaller cheaper versions if possible.......

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Even with my "not recommended" 3xD Kai protected cells, this is now my brightest light that I have (not even fully charged) without a doubt. It beats my 1185 as well as the WE 24W HID lights. The only issue is that with the standard Mag head/bezel, you can not get a narrow beam......I need some advice on which of the FM custom heads/reflectors I should get to make this a thrower, I am looking for one of the smaller cheaper versions if possible.......

Hey Cernobila,

Go snatch yourself on of the "Ver2 Deep M*g Reflectors" by FM. It will give you the thrower you want. I have four of them and they work well with this bulb and all the WA bulbs I have tried it on. I love the FM1909. It is almost magical. Even with a normal FM MOP metal reflector it has such a nice split of good useable flood and great throw.

Happy Mods!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like 3 of those 26650s would fit pretty well in a 3D maglite with a very low profile spring. It seems like you wouldn't even need to de-anodize the tailcap. A spring that is virtually flat should work in the normal position.

One of these bulbs with 3 IMR 26650s in a 3D maglite would make a very inexpensive 2000+ lumen light with a good half hour of runtime...
I think 3 of those in a Mag 4C would be an even better form factor.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Cernobila,

Go snatch yourself on of the "Ver2 Deep M*g Reflectors" by FM. It will give you the thrower you want. I have four of them and they work well with this bulb and all the WA bulbs I have tried it on. I love the FM1909. It is almost magical. Even with a normal FM MOP metal reflector it has such a nice split of good useable flood and great throw.

Happy Mods!

Thanks for that, I also have the FM MOP in the light now but I think that this bulb should be allowed to go for a good sprint, so I will get it a better pair of running shoes.