LuxLuthor's Most Powerful Maglite Mods List

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cernobila,
The 1909 is AWESOME with the 2.5 Throwmaster!

Well, I decided to try out a couple of FM's "Bi-Focal M*g Reflectors", one for the 3xD and one for the 3xC Maglite, I am trying to avoid the extra size and keep the cost down. If I can achieve a reasonably good throw beam than I will be a happy camper.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I have a Mag 2D with de-anod'd tail cap and shortened spring that's currently running a Philips 5761 in a Kiu socket from 2 Sony 26650VT batteries (carfully charged to 3.9V each to avoid :poof:). I've played with a few different OP reflectors and found that a reamed DX P7 reflector actually gives a nicer hotspot than a reamed WF-500 reflector (which works surprisingly well for larger bulbs) or either of the two KD Mag reflectors I have.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to a FM1909 and 3 AW IMR 26500 cells. According to Lux's chart, I could also potentially run the FM1909 in a different host on 4xLiFePO4 18650, considering sag and resistance would keep Vbatt under load at 12.8v or lower.

My question is, how does the filament size of the FM1909 compare to the 5761? I really don't want to go any larger, like 623 territory, and start losing tight focus. If a $105 Throwmaster is necessary to give as tight a spot with the FM1909 as the 5761 in a conventional 2" reflector, then I think I'll take a pass.

Can anyone provide a comparison of the two filaments? (I've never seen an actual photo of the FM1909 bulb for reference.) Thanks.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have a Mag 2D with de-anod'd tail cap and shortened spring that's currently running a Philips 5761 in a Kiu socket from 2 Sony 26650VT batteries (carfully charged to 3.9V each to avoid :poof:). I've played with a few different OP reflectors and found that a reamed DX P7 reflector actually gives a nicer hotspot than a reamed WF-500 reflector (which works surprisingly well for larger bulbs) or either of the two KD Mag reflectors I have.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to a FM1909 and 3 AW IMR 26500 cells. According to Lux's chart, I could also potentially run the FM1909 in a different host on 4xLiFePO4 18650, considering sag and resistance would keep Vbatt under load at 12.8v or lower.

My question is, how does the filament size of the FM1909 compare to the 5761? I really don't want to go any larger, like 623 territory, and start losing tight focus. If a $105 Throwmaster is necessary to give as tight a spot with the FM1909 as the 5761 in a conventional 2" reflector, then I think I'll take a pass.

Can anyone provide a comparison of the two filaments? (I've never seen an actual photo of the FM1909 bulb for reference.) Thanks.

I discussed and photographed it in this thread and post.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

donn_

Flashaholic
5) Osram 150W 64633 at 16.8V (ideally with new AlanB/JimmyM regulator). I just added this based solely upon my destructive testing, but have not made a working light with this due to the 50 Hr rated bulb life, and high liklihood of flashing the bulb with most battery combinations. If you can set a regulator to 16.8V, it should fit into this ranking.

I'm running this combination in a stretched 6D with 6x26650 Emoli cells, and AlanB's sled set at 16.5V. Very bright with FM's 3" head.

I just got around to swapping in FM's 3.5" head, and it makes quite a difference.

I look forward to trying Jonathan's 4" head as soon as the Exotic Coating Service is over.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great!

This incredible FM-1909 bulb is going to make me update my list on page one soon. :thumbsup: When I get the perfect setup for it, I'm gonna name it "The Varooj." About time he got some credit around here!

Speaking of updating... when ya gonna get the IRCs in there? :poke:

Just finished a 6D/5x26700 build running a 64440 IRC at 19.0V (measured at the bulb after only a couple minutes of shining it around being impressed, so it shouldn't be much more on fresh cells), and came over here to see where it stacked up. Since that bulb gets hotrated at 4963 lm, would that fall between the Maxblaster and the Deathblaster?

Still gotta recharge the batteries and monitor the initial voltage with the 50W bulb before I decide if I want to try my 64447 IRC -- it's gotta be close to an instaflash, if not over. Any idea whether this (with slightly discharged battery, if needed) would be under or over the Deathblaster?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you send him some to test.

:confused: He's already tested the IRC bulbs over in the destructive testing thread, and this is a relative ranking using (wrong) lumen figures from the old hotrater anyway -- you mean send him a flashlight, or what?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Ictorana was staring into a 64623 too long, and has not fully recovered his faculties. He thought this was the destructive testing thread, which as you noted has already done the IRC bulbs.

Eventually I'll update this ranking, but I was holding out until I got JimmyM's and/or AlanB's regulated drivers set up for various bulbs so as to drive them to the screaming edge before ranking. Most all the bulbs already in this list are direct drive setups, which in some cases are not really being pushed to their proper limits....so it's one of those more involved re-review/testings that's on my list.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a lurker since 2004/2005, and joined in 2007, and never explored hotwires until now.

Thank you for the truly excellent guide, Lux—I look forward to many hours of enjoyment by the fruits of your labors and the other contributors.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right up front I admit to not reading the entire thread. But, as some time has passed between most of the thread and now, this may be very relevant. I recently got a Triple XM-L2 from ElektroLumens in a hockey-puck style drop in that is completely reversible. I modded the tail spring with a copper wire, replaced the positive spring at the base of the switch assembly with a spiral of 12ga copper soldered in place, used a copper wire in the sliding cam stack and wrapped the drop-in with strips cut from a coke can to make it a press fit. It's running in a 3D Mag with Imedion Low Self Discharge NiMH cells and pulling 9A in direct drive, for some 3000 lumens of output. In a 10 minute test with an outdoor thermometer probe taped to the side of the stock head, it reached 120º. I've since replaced the stock head with a finned head but haven't run heat tests since I did this.

This drop-in should have a run-time around 1 hour with the 9500mAh capacity of the cells. The Tri Diffuse TIR optics put out a wall of light, illuminating everything in a 50 yd long by 30 yd wide area quite nicely. Pretty neat mod for a 3D Maglite, relatively economical.

My brightest light so far, but then, I'm a noob! :)

Dale

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Dale, looks interesting. Where did you find the TIR optics? If you used the last item on his page here, that looks to just be a diffuser lens over the top. It looks like it would be a flood monster at the expense of throw. Anyone have actual beam shots of it?

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the one I got. The diffuser lens is part of the Triple Optics. Found that out by disassembling the drop-in and modifying it. Edit: Forgot to mention, the red oil drum is 50 yds away. The little building to left is 8x16 and 25 yds away with the tree to right 15 yds. Same place and position as the comparison shots below where all camera settings were the same, including for the below shot, on manual at 1/6 sec f2.8 800ISO

DBC_May 11, 2013_211137 v2 by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And some comparison

L2PM3 vs HD2010 Vs 3DMagElktlum by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some modification, I'm pulling 9A from the Imedion NiMH cells on 3 XM-L2 emitters. Should be up towards 3000 lumens. And yes, it's a floody beast. I'd like to find a Triple optic without the diffuser lens to get a little more punch out of it.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some modification, I'm pulling 9A from the Imedion NiMH cells on 3 XM-L2 emitters. Should be up towards 3000 lumens. And yes, it's a floody beast. I'd like to find a Triple optic without the diffuser lens to get a little more punch out of it.

That would be a nice even combination of both. I think its important for a light the size of the mag to have a decent amount of throw, but not too much that you sacrafics your foot light. I'd like to make some modifications to my triple xpg puck.