M2R Pro burned holes in my pocket!

Chickensfloat

Newly Enlightened
It's astonishing just how many work-around hoops some are willing to jump through for a terrible design! magnetics shouldn't be involved with flashlights IMHO.
The problem is the magnet atracts lots of metal chips, then it shorts all the time. Ill never buy a olight with a charging tail again, it just doesnt suit the shop environment i work in. Stationary on the charger it cut in and out charging

JimIslander

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
The problem is the magnet atracts lots of metal chips, then it shorts all the time. Ill never buy a olight with a charging tail again, it just doesnt suit the shop environment i work in. Stationary on the charger it cut in and out charging

Nothing about the Olights is workplace oriented. Tiny e-switch on the side that you can't find or press easily with gloves. Stupid magnetic end. Essentially a nice executive light. I have about 20 of them and like them, but they aren't very useful in a work environment. For that I use Zebralights for everything.

Chickensfloat

Newly Enlightened
Nothing about the Olights is workplace oriented. Tiny e-switch on the side that you can't find or press easily with gloves. Stupid magnetic end. Essentially a nice executive light. I have about 20 of them and like them, but they aren't very useful in a work environment. For that I use Zebralights for everything.
Ya, i tend to use only things i xan use everyday, dont get me wrong its a great light it just doesnt suit my needs. It actually works better since i 3d printed a cap that slipps over the tailcap and keeps the chips off it. Doesnt fry my pocket with keys. It does break every once in awhile though but its like 30 mins to print another so i dont care. Its the first flashlight i had bought that costed more than 20 bucks so its better quality than any light i had owned when i bought it.

Chickensfloat

Newly Enlightened
Ya, i tend to use only things i xan use everyday, dont get me wrong its a great light it just doesnt suit my needs. It actually works better since i 3d printed a cap that slipps over the tailcap and keeps the chips off it. Doesnt fry my pocket with keys. It does break every once in awhile though but its like 30 mins to print another so i dont care. Its the first flashlight i had bought that costed more than 20 bucks so its better quality than any light i had owned when i bought it.
Finding the e switch was a issue till a month into daily carry. I just keep the clip on the other sode of the switch and i feel for that, only recently i broke the clip and i took it off entirely as it was pokeing me. My m2r pro is my edc, and somtimes i keep a lumintop as a secondary in my coat. The cold affects battery life and i tend to work on stuff hands on and want a flood, but if im outdoors i take a throwy light

JimIslander

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Finding the e switch was a issue till a month into daily carry. I just keep the clip on the other sode of the switch and i feel for that, only recently i broke the clip and i took it off entirely as it was pokeing me. My m2r pro is my edc, and somtimes i keep a lumintop as a secondary in my coat. The cold affects battery life and i tend to work on stuff hands on and want a flood, but if im outdoors i take a throwy light

4x heavier and 1.5" longer than the ZL SC64w HI, with less battery life. I have both. The M2R is gigantic and heavy. No way would I carry that beast in my pocket. As always, there is no wrong choice when it comes to personal preference. :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of caps for the tailcap, I was never sent the silicone cap I was promised by Olight for my M2R Pro:twak:

It's such a damn shame, it's a pretty bad*** light really, but if I can't confidently carry it, I don't use it. I've been thinking about getting the remote switch so I can us it for a momentary high beam on my bike, but I don't think I feel like spending the money at it's current price.

JimIslander

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Speaking of caps for the tailcap, I was never sent the silicone cap I was promised by Olight for my M2R Pro:twak:

It's such a damn shame, it's a pretty bad*** light really, but if I can't confidently carry it, I don't use it. I've been thinking about getting the remote switch so I can us it for a momentary high beam on my bike, but I don't think I feel like spending the money at it's current price.
Pretty easy to hit the tail cap, even on a bike. You could place it within a few inches of one of your grips.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty easy to hit the tail cap, even on a bike. You could place it within a few inches of one of your grips.
It'd be too much of a hassle doing it that way as I would either have to hold the switch or click it on and off every time I pass a car. The remote switch would be so much more convenient.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The silicone caps were for the mini’s not the m2r pro as far as I know.

As for olight, if I’m wearing it inside a pocket I lock it out, if I’m wearing it on the outside of the pocket it’s ready to go. Keeps things simple

JimIslander

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
It'd be too much of a hassle doing it that way as I would either have to hold the switch or click it on and off every time I pass a car. The remote switch would be so much more convenient.
With the right mount you could press it with your thumb without taking your hand off the grip.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The silicone caps were for the mini’s not the m2r pro as far as I know.

As for olight, if I’m wearing it inside a pocket I lock it out, if I’m wearing it on the outside of the pocket it’s ready to go. Keeps things simple

In private emails between myself and Olight about the M2R Pro, they told me they were going to make them for the M2R Pro too.

Sorry, locking out a light is not keeping things simple and if you carry it unlocked outside of the pocket, you still run into the problem of picking up stray paper clips, staples, etc.

With the right mount you could press it with your thumb without taking your hand off the grip.
I honestly don't think I could precisely activate that light how I want in such a fashion, that switch is kind of tricky in a regular flashlight grip where I don't have a leverage disadvantage. I would also need to have the light most of the way forward in the mount so I could reach the switch with my short thumbs. A remote switch is a much simpler solution for me IMO, it also would allow me to mount the light wherever I want and not off to one side.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
In private emails between myself and Olight about the M2R Pro, they told me they were going to make them for the M2R Pro too.

Sorry, locking out a light is not keeping things simple and if you carry it unlocked outside of the pocket, you still run into the problem of picking up stray paper clips, staples, etc.

I honestly don't think I could precisely activate that light how I want in such a fashion, that switch is kind of tricky in a regular flashlight grip where I don't have a leverage disadvantage. I would also need to have the light most of the way forward in the mount so I could reach the switch with my short thumbs. A remote switch is a much simpler solution for me IMO, it also would allow me to mount the light wherever I want and not off to one side.
Picking up metal is what magnets do, it comes in handy more than gets in the way. If you don’t want to edc a magnetic tail cap light, then dont. It helps me identify different metals, pick up dropped screws and hardware in hard to reach places, finding screws in drywall. To each their own, my system works for me.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picking up metal is what magnets do, it comes in handy more than gets in the way. If you don’t want to edc a magnetic tail cap light, then dont. It helps me identify different metals, pick up dropped screws and hardware in hard to reach places, finding screws in drywall. To each their own, my system works for me.
Yeah, magnetic tailcaps are indeed handy, but not when they attract stuff that can lead to the light's destruction. It's a terrible, inexcusable design, plain and simple.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If the flashlight's head was hot enough to exceed the 459 degree temperature to set your pants on fire, you would have been burned instantly if you tried to touch the light, the switch would have melted and the battery probably would have exploded.
Not only that but everything electronic in the light would have ceased working LONG before that point was reached. Most electronics don't tolerate anything much over 100°C well, never mind well over 200°C. Your hypothesis is correct. The light energy emitting from the light caused the pants to burn. I've tried this shining very intense beams at black electrical tape. It starts smoking within seconds.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, magnetic tailcaps are indeed handy, but not when they attract stuff that can lead to the light's destruction. It's a terrible, inexcusable design, plain and simple.
I don’t see how it would get damaged the way I use it, and it’s definitely built better than the average light of the same price.

I think knowing your gear and using it as it’s designed is common practice. If a light turns out to not work for the way you use it, your one step closer to finding what’s right for you. ;)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys and gals want to know something crazy? I've had and been daily carrying my Foursevens QK16L for a little over a year now UNLOCKED. *GASP*

Guess what? Not once has a paper clip, staple, ball chain, keychain pry bar or anything else turned it on unintentionally in self destruct mode or any mode for that matter. It's almost as if the peeps over there know how to design a switch or something.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only that but everything electronic in the light would have ceased working LONG before that point was reached. Most electronics don't tolerate anything much over 100°C well, never mind well over 200°C. Your hypothesis is correct. The light energy emitting from the light caused the pants to burn. I've tried this shining very intense beams at black electrical tape. It starts smoking within seconds.
Which is why even Zebralights can burn holes in your pocket if accidentally turned on 👍
You guys and gals want to know something crazy? I've had and been daily carrying my Foursevens QK16L for a little over a year now UNLOCKED. *GASP*

Guess what? Not once has a paper clip, staple, ball chain, keychain pry bar or anything else turned it on unintentionally in self destruct mode or any mode for that matter. It's almost as if the peeps over there know how to design a switch or something.
true a light with no external charging, no side switch and under 800 lumens, won’t be able to burn through your pants. It could still turn on in your pocket if you don’t install the flush tail cap insert.
Well built and safe for most environments, it doesn’t have enough output for a lot of what I do, but it makes a great backup light and loaner

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is why even Zebralights can burn holes in your pocket if accidentally turned on 👍

true a light with no external charging, no side switch and under 800 lumens, won’t be able to burn through your pants. It could still turn on in your pocket if you don’t install the flush tail cap insert.
Well built and safe for most environments, it doesn’t have enough output for a lot of what I do, but it makes a great backup light and loaner
Most importantly, it's a light that doesn't combine the magnetic external charging with the tail switch and remote switch connector. A revolutionary design choice by Foursevens indeed. What's more is the turbo mode requires a very deliberate quick pres then a quick click to engage rather than random small office supplies. Pretty bold I must say, but it seems to be working out quite well.