M3 Dive Light? I hope so....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
You guys are really a bad influence!!

After reading so much about the SureFire lights, I looked every where for an original SF6, purchased over 10 years ago, that still remains in safe place (safe from me).
Note: Back when I got this light, the 123 batteries were not in common use, difficult to find and pricey. I dedicated this light, because of the fantastic shelf life of the
batteries, to a status of when all else fails, backup.

Feeling in the dark without an SF, I go to the SF site and see that they have indeed come far since their first lights. I would really like a small, bright, dive light that will fit
in my BC pocket. I noticed that SF had a single bullet on the M3 that almost went by unnoticed. I quote: "Waterproof to typical military or sport diver depths (pressure
certification available)" That was all I needed to read. I now am the proud owner of this
SF-M3-Dive.jpg

(of course per my affliction, Ti hardware and a tether were added). My question for you wise and knowing folks is what makes the M3 waterproof to sport diving depths whereas I found
no mention of this feature on the other M series or actually any other lights of the SF line? With all the morphing and mods being done with the SF lights, what's the
catch? Why is the M3 different, or is it??

- Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

CMC Rescue

Ask that on SureFire board, or just search for the topic...

Mrdi

Enlightened
Can't seem to find that snap shackle attached to that tether. I have a thing for snap shackles especially with that pull. Very clean, too many years sailing.
The ones on Berkeley are not quite it. Can you please more direct.
Thanks,
Mrdi

GeoffChan

Enlightened
The current M3's are water resistant down to 10metres (30feet). M3N's are tested down to 30metres (100 feet). I know these are a little bit more costly, and alot more harder to obtain.

The testing tanks are probably being used to certify military orders.

Geoff

DonL

Enlightened
Didn't find anything of CMC Rescue at SFDB, but their website had tethers, nothing like this beaut. No ti.

Looking at Cetacea's site, very nice tethers, great selection, but again, no ti.

I'm a big fan of titanium, have a watch, ring, bikes, bike parts, a bottle opener, handle scales on my Sebenza, eyeglass frames...

Even spent three weeks making a 1/3 scale, angles, dimensions, etc. titanium bike frame using small diameter tubing. Even have a derailleur hanger on it.

Tracking down the clips via Suncor, I was a bit taken aback. I know that ti can be expensive, but good Lord, Don, are those clips really $60 for the small ones?!
shocked.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geoffchan,
an "N" certified (to 30m) SureFire is about $50 more expensive, because it is actually tested, I presume.
So the M3 is, as you say, only guaranteed to 10m.
All of the Millennium series can be "N" certified, if ordered to that spec.
However, it may be that the war footing would delay the delivery of a "N" light.

Don, (McG) make sure that the M3 is correctly lubricated. If you really need the extra depth rating, contact your dealer, or SureFire direct.
But you can be certain that you have one of the best lights in the world.

Oh, another thing - the SF lights have a typical beam pattern of about 70% hotspot, 30% surround beam. For a main dive light, I'm told that a narrower beam may be better, to avoid backscatter from the surround beam.

Which "SF6" do you have ? When you do find your *emergency backup* light ...... let us know !

lightlover

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FC:
CMC Rescue

Ask that on SureFire board, or just search for the topic...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I mean to say that you should search SFDB for M3's waterproofness
tongue.gif

p.s. All M-series lights are waterproof to 30m. MN's are actually tested in the pressure chamber. Non N's are the same lights, but without the test. I have a N M3 and non-N M3T. Identical.

I don't know if it is actually waterproof to 30m(I got a Pelican for water rescue), but I guarantee that you can take it under water.

Example:You can have carabiners UL-listed or not. Same biner, but with UL stamp - a price increase of $3-$15.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
DonL,
I don't know what the Mini Ti snap shackle will sell for. Suncor will be bringing them in and berkeleypoint will be offering them. The snap shackle you found on the net is a larger one. I would guess that this little one will sell for somewhere around $50. If you think $60 is dear, Wichard has some Ti snapshackles which go for twice that and then some! This is why berkeleypoint offers the miniture Wichard stainless snap shackle. The 3 mm Ti quick link will be available soon and it has a price of $16.50. Ti is expensive! More than it should be, but manufacturers shy away from it. With a Home Depot, Costco mentality; what's the discount, where's the quantity, There is a negative pressure on manufacturers to use higher quality, more costly materials. I'm off the soap box.

Light lover,
I have the original box for the SF6 (something I never keep!) but I'm starting to think that whoever bought my last truck may be the owner of a SF light, if he (she) ever finds the secret, hidden storage compartment.

Thanks for the info on the depth rating of the M3. I wish SureFire had been more specific. I saw no mention of M3N. Having flooded my share of UW camera gear, I understand O-rings and clean sealing surfaces. The M3 is a great light but it looks like I'll have to hold on to my plastic light as well.

- Don

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire Millennium Series are designed to be waterproof. Of course, unless individulally tested and certified with a depth rating, you'll never know unless you try.

With the latest designes, Pyrex Lenses, double o-rings and sealed LockOut TailCaps, It's is highly likely your M3 will not leak.

Of course, carry a backup, a dedicated divelight.

I would have gone for an M3T for a tighter beam. Now-a-days, the Millennium TurboHeads are Pyrex too.

Illumination Tools that are tested and pass are given an "N" (M3N, 6PN, M6N etc). Currently, SureFire is not providing a testing service. This may be as has been suggested, because they are too busy with military, government and agency orders.

I am confident that any Millennium Series M2/M3/M3T/M4/M6 model that comes fresh from SureFire will be water-resistant enough to be waterproof at depths, and under the conditions of normal use (I suppose up to about 30 metres of sea water)

Please let us know how you get on.

Al
smile.gif

DonL

Enlightened
Don McG, thanks for the update, I'll look forward to when they're available, both the snap shackle and the quick link, they'll both really set off a light like some of the Surefires.

BTW, as a ti afficianado, may I compliment you on some of the ti work on your web page. Some beautiful and exquisite work there, transcending "craft" into "art".

Gee, to imagine that I was excited to get my basement ti anodizer working. I've got a long way to go!
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
To all of you,
Thanks for the info and kind words. I am confident that with proper care, the M3 will suit my needs, above and below the surface. While diving, I use a light most often to determine what colors will be present when a photo is taken. Even in very clear water at relatively shallow depths you are amazed at the return of color you get with a local light source, especially if it is bright enough to compete with the ambient level of light. What is gray in ambient can return the most vibrant reds and oranges with a return of full spectrum light. I took an Inova X5 on a dive in Maui recently and it didn't have enough output to overcome ambient. I was very surprised when I looked into the LED's and the color of light had a very strong violet/ rose color. I guess I was primarily seeing the the spectrum which was missing from the ambient light.