M420-KT4 Mod!!!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knight Lights said:
...the 65-75% figure that we have long accepted for Bulb lumens/Torch Lumens with incandescent light sources does not apparently apply to LED's.

It appears that more of the Light from an LED source actually leaves the front of the light. How much more is still a matter of conjecture, but it is more. This is probably because some of the lumens from a filament are directed back down towards the base of the lamp, and are not effectively transferred out the front, while those produced by an LED are in a 180 degree pattern that is collected relatively efficiently...

Bill

Bill, the point about backspill of an incan vs. LED is a good one... thanks for pointing that out! I'm sure there's some mathemagical way to estimate the loss of lumens toward the back, but for me to crank up my own rusty math skills to what they once were I'd go through two pads of paper and probably waste the better part of a week! :eek:oo: Anyone on the board happen to be a mathematician?

Seriously, the estimate probably has to do with a weighted average of light hitting the interior surface area of a sphere in each case.
:thinking:

Anyway, back on topic...

Icarus said:
Very nice! :twothumbs

Icarus, thanks so much for the kudos! Coming from you especially, someone who I consider a master builder, it means a LOT. Thank you so much!

I'm sorry to hear about your accident BTW... get well soon! :)

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monkeyboy,

Thanks for the heads up on those extention tubes. I have thought about those as a battery solution. The only problem is with me. I'm a purest I guess and I'd like to leave the cosmetics of the M6 as close to stock as possible. The extension simply adds too much lenght to the light for me.

Thanks for pointing that out though. It may be a good solution for future M420 owners!! :grin2:

MSax

HiKing808

Newly Enlightened
BEAM SHOTS PLEASE!!!!
i have been wanting to see some beam shots of this and the M180 as compared to their incandesent counterparts. as i have never seen a real life beam shot of any surefire m series i don't really know what to expect and i don't want to bother milky with pm's if its not what i want (i have read he is one of the bussiest modders here)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait to see what he does with what's one his way to him. :naughty: