M60L vs M60 vs M60W - You decide which is better...(Now with Animated GIFs)

Toaster

Enlightened
Re: M60L vs M60 vs M60W - You decide which is better...

Making an animated GIF isn't a complicated process. I use Adobe ImageReady but I'm sure there are various freeware and online tools that will get the job done as well. My only suggestion is you bump the horizontal resolution up to 800. The pics you posted are nice but a bit on the small side for me. Just my opinion of course :whistle:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some pictures of a painting in my house. I wasn't home during the daylight hours today so I don't have a "control" shot of the painting. The order is the same as the pictures in the first post - first is the M60L, next is the M60, and finally, the M60W.

The three pictures with the drop ins were taken on full manual, AWB, ISO 100, F19, 47mm, and an exposure time of six seconds.

3123268063_5a67c92e7b.jpg

3124095384_2928a41bb3.jpg

3124096278_ce9e003657.jpg

It is almost unbelievable to me that an LED can reproduce to my eyes almost how the picture looks in real light. The M60W is really helping out towards reproducing colors as the human eye sees them in actual sunlight (though in this case, and I'm not sure why, the M60L did a pretty good job as well).

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

The three pictures with the drop ins were taken on full manual, AWB, ISO 100, F19, 47mm, and an exposure time of six seconds.

Hate to be a pain, but I'd really love to see a series that was the same but with the WB locked on the same setting ("daylight" would probably show the best test).

I have an M60, M60F and M60LF. The M60F is one of my two (simultaneous) EDCs in a C2 host.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: M60L vs M60 vs M60W - You decide which is better...(Added more pictures)

I vote for custom white balance of 4pm sunlight :)

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hate to be a pain, but I'd really love to see a series that was the same but with the WB locked on the same setting ("daylight" would probably show the best test).

I'm definitely still learning my camera, but WOW. Big difference using daylight as opposed to AWB...

And...

My only suggestion is you bump the horizontal resolution up to 800. The pics you posted are nice but a bit on the small side for me. Just my opinion of course :whistle:

Your wish is my command!:clap:

IMGP2929.jpg

IMGP2930.jpg

IMGP2931.jpg

*I also just switched over to Photobucket...:twothumbs

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now with Photobucket and larger pictures, I took some from the first post (the ones with the M60 and the M60W) and am re-posting them here so you guys can see them better. :twothumbs M60 first, followed by the M60W.

IMGP2869.jpg

IMGP2870.jpg

IMGP2864.jpg

IMGP2865.jpg

IMGP2861.jpg

IMGP2862.jpg

IMGP2858.jpg

IMGP2859.jpg

IMGP2855.jpg

IMGP2856.jpg

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

The real question is which is more accurate compared to what we actually see. Our eyes have a limited ability to "auto white balance" as it were. There was some disscussion recently about how fixing white balance and exposure was completely skewing the apparent light output, setting the camera to auto white balance fixed the exageration of brightness with certain tints. Unfortunately there's no 1 magic setting, it seems every camera has its own quirks about that sort of thing.

naked2

Enlightened

I'd love it if Gene would come out with a multi-level unit. Are you working on one of those Gene? :D How about a W with the same lumen output as the regular M60?
I read AW's new switch works well with Malkoff's, but you lose momentary.

It is almost unbelievable to me that an LED can reproduce to my eyes almost how the picture looks in real light. The M60W is really helping out towards reproducing colors as the human eye sees them in actual sunlight...
Almost everywhere I read about comparing the warmer tint LEDs, they're always compared to sunlight, when in actuality, noon sunlight is around 5000K~5500K, much cooler than the K ratings of most of the warm LEDs.

BTW, great shots! :thumbsup: If I were to buy, it'd have to be the M60, although I'm leaning toward the M30 for the new fivemega C series bezel compatible single C cell body/tailcap I've got on order!

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The real question is which is more accurate compared to what we actually see. Our eyes have a limited ability to "auto white balance" as it were. There was some disscussion recently about how fixing white balance and exposure was completely skewing the apparent light output, setting the camera to auto white balance fixed the exageration of brightness with certain tints. Unfortunately there's no 1 magic setting, it seems every camera has its own quirks about that sort of thing.

This is true. But I will say that using the daylight setting on the painting is very very close to how my eyes are seeing it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: M60L vs M60 vs M60W - You decide which is better...(Added BIGGER pictures)

Since most flashlights are used at night (not always night) I prefer the better contract shown using the W.

Bill

Toaster

Enlightened

Nice job with the larger pics. :thumbsup: I've taken the liberty of converting them into animated GIFs. Feel free to copy the pics into your posts if you'd like. I'll delete them from here when you've done so or at your request.

Anyhow I'm a big fan of the warm tint. The difference in color rendition is really noticeable and pleasing to my eyes.

1294.gif

2945.gif

3291.gif

4828.gif

5321.gif

6804.gif

Policetacteam

Enlightened

Man I don't know! The M60 or M60W!?! I love my M60's and will continue to purchase them but I'm going to add a M60W to my Surefire G2L. I like the difference in outdoor colors. I will be interested to see how it will work for me on calls. Major color differences! Very cool! The pics keep getting better!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's recommened to stick to the M60L or LL modules in the plastic lights. Output of the M60WL should be just a little more than your G2L, I assure you however the quality of light will be far far better.

** just to add, the W versions color really is a huge step up from the cool white M60s (I hate to call them that, because they're warmer than alot of other modules) .

I'd say get the Warm without hesitation, unless it was being used primarily as a home defense/weapons mounted light. The lack of color rendering in that application is offset by the additional blinding factor. I think it's a combination of the higher level of blue light as well as the additional brightness over the W equivalent. The only thing I'm worrying about now is whether to invest in the full power w or wf variant. I've got an M60 wlf and it's awesome, but definately a short range pill. Not sure whether the full power wf will be enough, but I'm curious enough that I'll probably get it anyways.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice job with the larger pics. :thumbsup: I've taken the liberty of converting them into animated GIFs. Feel free to copy the pics into your posts if you'd like. I'll delete them from here when you've done so or at your request.

Anyhow I'm a big fan of the warm tint. The difference in color rendition is really noticeable and pleasing to my eyes.

Thanks sooo much for converting those pictures. If it's alright with the mods and you, I'd rather just keep the pictures right in your post and I will change my first post to send readers to your specific post to watch.

As for the tint, indoors, I really like the M60W. It seems to my eyes that the color of the W is more suited for this. Outdoors, though I love the color rendition of the W, I still like the absolute brightness of the regular M60.

I wonder if Gene can make an M60W to be as bright as a regular M60? Man I would buy one in a heartbeat...:twothumbs

Policetacteam

Enlightened
OK..the animated pics are even cooler! It makes it much easier to not have to scroll back and forth. I'm ordering the M60W! I have been super pleased with all of Gene's products this seems like the next step. For law enforcement use this light will be a definite help when extra bright white light isn't needed. I will be interested to see how it does at interior car searches for narcotics. I was amazed at how much of the detail in the trees, leaves, and grass it picked up. It looked completely different!! Very interesting! I will post back when it arrives and give a comparison between the two.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for a M60T model. I'm curious to see how much throw could be squeezed out of a drop-in. :whistle:

-Trevor

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Well, to my eyes, the M60 looks like it has more sheer power than the M60W, but the difference in how color and detail looks between the two is a no-brainer for me...hence so many questions which I've asked about drop-ins, filters, emitter swaps and custom builds. ;)

Nice comparisons, the animation shows the differences even better. I would/will gladly get a warm/neutral-ish tint.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, they really do show how much difference there is between the different types. I've got a standard M60, I might have to get one of the warm versions, probably the M60WLF for use in a G2... Maybe after the holidays... :). Of course, the day after I order one, Gene will introduce a multi level version ;).

Dave.

Last edited: