Macro Ring Light

CaptClaude

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
8
In preparation for another (first post-pandemic) trip to Cozumel, I built a camera tray and bought an US$80 LED "video light" on Amazon. I also converted a cheap dive light to a flood and although it worked, It was really not bright enough and the mount I built broke.
Bottom line and why I am even mentioning it after all this time: I am going to do the ring light because now I have a Canon G16 in an Ikelite housing that I got for free from a friend (long story). I 3D printed all the parts for my "tray" using SS hardware to assemble things (and 3/8" - 9.5mm) acrylic for the base. A lot of time has passed since I started thinking about this and technology has advanced.
Bottom line: I can 3D print the ring for the LEDs and fill it with liquid acrylic - watertight. Details about which LEDs, wiring and controls are TBD at this stage.
If anyone is interested, I can post updates.
 

Attachments

  • DIY Camera Tray for G16 Ikelite Housing.jpg
    DIY Camera Tray for G16 Ikelite Housing.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 11

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
2,721
Location
Connecticut, USA
Hey, I recognize that yellow light. Or at least the head. I bought one a few years ago, and have been impressed with it for the cost. Mine is 4AA, and has a lever switch. Looks like yours is a tail twisty?
 

CaptClaude

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
8
One 18650, tail twisty. Works great as a light but because it has High/Low/Flash I have grown to hate it. I have three more that I use as backup and for general flashlighting around the house.
I succeeded it getting it completely apart and modified the head to eliminate the reflector. Just so happened that I had enough miscellaneous bits and pieces lying around that I could modify it to be a flat beam. Still useful just not as a dive photography/video light. I was in such a rush that I failed to take any pictures but the length that had been take up by the reflector is now consumed by 15mm length of 1/2" copper pipe capped by a copper disk soldered in place with holes for the wires to the LED. The disk was cut from a flattened bit of pipe and filed down to the exact required diameter (after soldering of course). Interesting half-day project.

Edit: This blog entry is what gave me the idea to do my conversion.
 
Last edited:
Top