Maelstrom S12, is it worth it over the X10?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So how does the S12 and S10 compare to the Klarus xt11??

The XT11 puts out a throwy flood, a very useful beam, but the S12 does too, but more so. Assuming the S10 = X10, the X10 is MORE throw than flood compared to the others, but less flood, and lower lumens....
ending up similar to the XT11 in overall throw, with less light on target, and less flood.

The XT11 is my EDC, with the S12 and lately a modded X10 as back ups for pocket use.

As mentioned, I use rechargeable 123's in the S18, which out throws and out floods all of them....but is not pocket sized...but is a lot of fun.

Got Lumens - I really like your way of posting those beam shots!

I wish I knew how to do that. :D

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT11 puts out a throwy flood, a very useful beam, but the S12 does too, but more so. Assuming the S10 = X10, the X10 is MORE throw than flood compared to the others, but less flood, and lower lumens....
ending up similar to the XT11 in overall throw, with less light on target, and less flood.

The XT11 is my EDC, with the S12 and lately a modded X10 as back ups for pocket use.

As mentioned, I use rechargeable 123's in the S18, which out throws and out floods all of them....but is not pocket sized...but is a lot of fun.

Got Lumens - I really like your way of posting those beam shots!
I wish I knew how to do that. :D
Teej,
Thanks for the Klarus XT11 thoughts and comments.
Compliments appreciated, Thanks.
These were done using a very basic tool, MS Paint. I actually have gifs that play thru like a slideshow, but in this case I think the side by sides are better. The pictures were taken using a tripod to keep each light pointed in the same direction and target. Thumbs credit goes to photobucket.
GL

Natty Bumppo

Newly Enlightened
If you could only have one, which do you pick? x10, S12, or XT11? this doesnt have to be a pocket light. I use a Preon 2 for work. I'm seriously considering the later 2. Used for hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities. Is the S12 too bright on low mode to walk the dog or look for a blood trail?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you could only have one, which do you pick? x10, S12, or XT11? this doesnt have to be a pocket light. I use a Preon 2 for work. I'm seriously considering the later 2. Used for hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities. Is the S12 too bright on low mode to walk the dog or look for a blood trail?

Well, the 800 lumen S12 throws visibly more light than the 600 lumen XT11, due to the larger head, and, more power, etc....and the XT11 visually outputs similarly to the X10, but the ratings are similar...but the XT11 has a 150 lumen medium and 10 lumen low, instead of just a high/low....but the S12's low is 120 lumens.

That means the S12's low of 120 L is similar to the medium of the XT11's 150 L. (The S12's low is not too bright)

If between the X10 and the XT11, given the similar performance...I'd go (Personally) with the XT11 due to the UI that I prefer.

If you want MORE light, then the S12, which is stronger than the others...is a no brainer.

In typical flashaholic fashion, I of course have all 3...so I don't HAVE TO pick one.

:naughty:

To even the score though, I did soup up the X10...

(Pasted)

- XML-U2 LED swapped for a more pleasant white tint
- Driver Swapped with the following mode sequence: High, Medium, Moonlight, High, Medium, Moonlight, 10Hz Strobe, 2HZ Blink, SOS, Beacon with no memory. This mode sequence allow this light to always turn on at High as long as the light was turn on in any mode for more than 1 seconds.

High is 4.1A at the tail cap to ensure max brightness. Medium is around 1A for good long run time. Moonlight is about .5-1 lumen to run forever on a 26650 in times of crisis.

So, NOW, my X10 out performs the S12.

:naughty:

Stock to stock though, the S12 is just a better light as far as bang for the buck...esp with the sale on now.

I'll be doing stuff to the S12, which will then leapfrog it back ahead.

Bwah ha hah ha!

Natty Bumppo

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I am sold on the S12. And it seems like a bargain at 93 bucks. I really want both but cant justify the cost. Maybe the klarus will go on a big sale one day. Thanks for all of your help. I fear that I may become a flashaholic one day. Which isnt a bad thing

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ok. I am sold on the S12. And it seems like a bargain at 93 bucks. I really want both but cant justify the cost. Maybe the klarus will go on a big sale one day. Thanks for all of your help. I fear that I may become a flashaholic one day. Which isnt a bad thing

Everyone has their gateway drug...I mean light...

:devil:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll ad my $2.50 cents worth. I'd recommend a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L, BUT there is ONLY ONE left in-stock as I post this!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock to stock though, the S12 is just a better light as far as bang for the buck...esp with the sale on now.

I'll be doing stuff to the S12, which will then leapfrog it back ahead.

Bwah ha hah ha!

Can you recommend any places to get a good deal on the S12 that ship to the UK?