Mag85 Potted Bulb Options?

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey folks, I just recently got my 1st mag85 here are the specs...

-Red 5D maglite host
-UCL Lens
-Camless Medium stippled reflector (.377 hole)
-9 x 4/5 sub C 2200mAH battery pack
-potted WA1185 lamps
-PVC sch. 40 battery tube spacer
-9.6V - 18V Universal charger from Z-Battery

Anyway long story short I blew up both potted WA1185's that I got with this package and now I need more bulbs... :stupid: :banghead: I realize now that I did not let the battery pack sit long enough after it charged so the voltage was just too high when I tried them...after the 1st bulb blew I waited almost 2 more hours before I tried the other one but it also went...

What I wanted to know are what bulbs besides the potted WA1185's would work for this setup? And how would different bulbs effect the output and runtime? Also is there a more powerfull potted bulb that could take more than the potted WA1185? I know the pelican bulbs are good for ROP setups but I don't really know the specifics about the bulbs, could someone give me a crash course on this? I tried to search but all the info I need in scattered, I was wonderign if someone could just put it together for me in easy terms...Im still new to these high power lights...:candle: :poke: :thinking: :twak:

cutlerylover

Banned
What about this:

http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super%20Bulbs&prod=WA01166PT

Since this 1166 Potted Bulb uses 11.6 volts instead of the 9.6 the 1185 uses Im sure that would be better in case of the extra voltage, but do you think I will visualy notice the difference between 703 lumens and 817 lumens? IF so do you think it is a big difference? Im just trying to figure out what the my options are...Of course with the higher voltage that will bring the runtime down too right? So there is alot to think about, I would pikc power/brightness over runtime though so I might just stick with the potted 1185's and try to get the battery pack to the right voltage, maybe I am just too impatient, maybe I just jumped the gun and tried it too early which was obviously a big mistake...

By the way just in case anyone is wondering, I waited 3 hours before trying the 1st bulb, the bulb worked for 2 seconds then went out...then I waited an additional hour and a half before trying the second bulb which lit up for 15 seconds then competely blew up inside the head...Im not sure if this matters but I didnt fully charge the battery pack either? I cut it off before it was done...will that make a big difference?

Last edited:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
cutlerylover said:
Hey folks, I just recently got my 1st mag85 here are the specs...

-Red 5D maglite host
-UCL Lens
-Camless Medium stippled reflector (.377 hole)
-9 x 4/5 sub C 2200mAH battery pack
-potted WA1185 lamps
-PVC sch. 40 battery tube spacer
-9.6V - 18V Universal charger from Z-Battery

Anyway long story short I blew up both potted WA1185's that I got with this package and now I need more bulbs... :stupid: :banghead: I realize now that I did not let the battery pack sit long enough after it charged so the voltage was just too high when I tried them...after the 1st bulb blew I waited almost 2 more hours before I tried the other one but it also went...

What I wanted to know are what bulbs besides the potted WA1185's would work for this setup? And how would different bulbs effect the output and runtime? Also is there a more powerfull potted bulb that could take more than the potted WA1185? I know the pelican bulbs are good for ROP setups but I don't really know the specifics about the bulbs, could someone give me a crash course on this? I tried to search but all the info I need in scattered, I was wonderign if someone could just put it together for me in easy terms...Im still new to these high power lights...:candle: :poke: :thinking: :twak:

Jeff, the ROP's are rated for 7.2V, they would go :poof:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
cutlerylover said:
What about this:

http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super%20Bulbs&prod=WA01166PT

Since this 1166 Potted Bulb uses 11.6 volts instead of the 9.6 the 1185 uses Im sure that would be better in case of the extra voltage, but do you think I will visualy notice the difference between 703 lumens and 817 lumens? IF so do you think it is a big difference? Im just trying to figure out what the my options are...Of course with the higher voltage that will bring the runtime down too right? So there is alot to think about, I would pikc power/brightness over runtime though so I might just stick with the potted 1185's and try to get the battery pack to the right voltage, maybe I am just too impatient, maybe I just jumped the gun and tried it too early which was obviously a big mistake...

By the way just in case anyone is wondering, I waited 3 hours before trying the 1st bulb, the bulb worked for 2 seconds then went out...then I waited an additional hour and a half before trying the second bulb which lit up for 15 seconds then competely blew up inside the head...Im not sure if this matters but I didnt fully charge the battery pack either? I cut it off before it was done...will that make a big difference?

Jeff, you wouldn't see the difference between 817 and 703. I read a while ago that Lumens have to be at least 1/2 again more to perceptively see the difference.

If I remember correctly, that power pack came hot off the charger at 12.4V. I don't see any reason why the 1166 couldn't handle that, it's rated at 11.6V, but can handle 12.5V.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cutlerylover -

I don't know because I haven't actually tried a WA01166 with 9 cells but I think after initial sag it will be under driven and possibly not very white. I have driven them on 10 cells and they looked OK.

IRC, the Carley 809 works on 9 cells and the WA01318 works on 9 cells.

WA01318: 9.6V spec (534.07 lumens), 10.8V push (807 lumens) that's bulb lumens not torch lumens.

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

I've been wondering about the robustness of the lamps that go in the Nemo Dive Light as a back-up LOLA and ultra LOLA for Mag85s.

It sounds like you saw two distinctly different failures.

On the lamp that just went out is it still clear or are there any colors in it?

On the one that blew up, it's likely that would be an envelope failure. Also, it's possible to have a lamp explode if the envelope is touching the Al reflector. js has let us know that there is a good possibility that the process of potting these lamps, involving bending one of the pins, may result in failed envelopes.

I use both bi-pins and potted lamps. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I prefer potted for Mag85s.

Here is a discussion about failed lamps w/pics. A race to failure.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thank you very much for the additional info, what I think I am going to do is buy a battery tester so that I cna check the battery pack before use, then I will make sure that I do not touch the bulb, I think I may have touched it before with ym bare fingers, so that might have had somethgin to do with it...I will stick with more WA1185's for now and make sure the votage is correct...then go from there, Thanks again for your help, and the good link!