Mag85... What Battery/Charger combo are you using?

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
My Mag85 is almost complete and I was wondering what Charger/Battery combo are you using. I currently have a Rayovac 1 hour charger and some Rayovac 1800 batteries that came with it and was wondering should/can I use these in the Mag85. Any help would be appreciated. My FM 3H head should hopefully be delivered soon.

juancho

Enlightened
Quick chargers don't fill well to full capacity, and overheat the battery too much (heat kills Nimhs very quick)
the slow chargers are better. An analogy is like filling a container with rocks, always will be a lot of unused space betwen the rocks. slow chargers fill up like putting sand in the container.
I was using a Vanson 6988 10 bays for AA and AAA that takes about 10 hours to recharge 1800 mah batteries.This is a great charger.
I have switch to the La Crosse that Burly sells, and it is a fantastic charger. It even let you know the capacity of the cells, which is really an eye opener!! tell about thru in advertising!!
This charger also discharge and recharge cells automatically until they achieve maximun capacity.
I serial number my cells in the negative, and now I can match the 9 nimhs going into the Mag85 with the same capacity.
This La Crosse charger is worth the money and Burly is the best guy to get it from.
Juan C.

mokona2

Enlightened
Bright Scouter, what combination of Pilas works in your Mag85? I am almost complete with my Mag85, and I already have a Pilas charger. My other alternative would be to use 2x4 CR123s taped together.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag85... What Battery/Charger combo are you us

[ QUOTE ]
5.0Trunk said:
My Mag85 is almost complete and I was wondering what Charger/Battery combo are you using. I currently have a Rayovac 1 hour charger and some Rayovac 1800 batteries that came with it and was wondering should/can I use these in the Mag85. Any help would be appreciated. My FM 3H head should hopefully be delivered soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That setup should be pretty good. I use a Rayovac 15 minute charger with the IC-3 2000mah batteries with good results. I have enough batteries that I can rotate them. Normally, I leave mine on the charger for about an hour after their 15 minute charge. Don't know what the run time is because I haven't just let it run, I use mine for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time. But it sure is bright.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mokona2 said:
Bright Scouter, what combination of Pilas works in your Mag85? I am almost complete with my Mag85, and I already have a Pilas charger. My other alternative would be to use 2x4 CR123s taped together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both carriers. One holds 3 168a batts and one holds 3 150a batts. The 168 setup works well. It does take one "warm up" tap on the switch and then push it to turn on. The 150 pack will sometimes take as many as 5 or 6 taps before it will light up. The taps are required because the cold filament draws enough current to trip the protection inside the cells. I will probably end up using the 150a batts in something else since they are just not quite up to the task. But I love the small size compared to the AA route.

Latest posts