Magazine dedicated to flashaholics?

guncollector

Enlightened
I went perusing the 75 ft.+ racks of magazines at Tower Audio-Video (W. Coast chain) yesterday to pick up my regular reads, and I asked myself, "why aren't there any dedicated flashlight magazines?".

Well, the obvious answer is: there isn't enough interest/readership demographic to support such a publication. But, trust me, if you peruse the same racks I do and see some of the arcane and esoteric publications there--you'll come away thinking that a dedicated-flashlight publication is not only financially viable, but a golden opportunity for an entrepreneurial publisher!

Or.....am I missing something? Is there a flashlight-dedicated magazine and am I just missing the action?

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
Well, I read flashlight articles in gun magazines all the time, seams like right about the time surefire advertises the most...hhmm, one downside to magazines is while they are neat with pictures, they are basicly puppets for their advertisers...

I rarely see unbiased articles, at least in gun mags...maybe a flashoholic magazine would be different

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think economics would influence any publication and fallen to the advertising overlord. The nice thing about this forum is the diverse influences/opinions. Best bet would be some way to get the world to learn about this site. then maybe manufacturers would start advertising and catering to us. It could expand and and all kinds of features, sales, who knows? but then that could take away from what this site is all about too. I dunno.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Guncollector -

Since discovering these forums, I have asked myself the same question many times. Such a magazine would be snatched up and devoured by the many flashaholics who prowl this vast country (and vast world, for that matter).

Find a person or group willing to take a financial gamble on such a singular project, and I'll personally oversee the creation of the publication.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by guncollector:
you'll come away thinking that a dedicated-flashlight publication is not only financially viable, but a golden opportunity for an entrepreneurial publisher!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm. I dunno. Just because there are esoteric mags sitting in the stand does NOT mean those mags are making the publisher any money. Not by a long shot. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on something that would be out of date by the time it was printed. If you follow this board regularly, you aren't going to learn ANYTHING from a flashlight magazine. And since most of the world's flashlight nuts are all gathered right here, I'm not sure it really would fly.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to take more happy pills?

Saaby

Flashaholic
"Hmmm. Maybe I need to take more happy pills?"

Wayne is making those again? Where? Where?

tongue.gif

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Sounds like an interesting idea to me. I'd probably be interested in subscribing.

A monthly or maybe even a quarterly publication could do a fair job of keeping abreast of new developments. It's not like there are new flashlights coming out every day or anything.

There should of course be product reviews, and mod projects, manufacturer news, news about advances in the underlying technologies, news about interesting lighting applications, and a regular basic how-to feature (possible topics could include glow powder, soldering, metalworking, anodizing, lenses, polishing, regular maintenance, repairs, laser tuning, 223 splitting?, ...). Put all this in a slick format with plenty of photos and well-written articles, and I'd be a subscriber for sure.

Also, it is possible to avoid review bias. The publication doesn't have to include advertisements. Consumer Reports, for instance has no advertisements. The advertisements can add a certain value though (not to mention revenue), so I'm not convinced that it'd be worthwhile to eschew them.