Magcharger Battery/charger Options?

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
I have a Magcharger flashlight in excellent condition that I got cheaply from a local yard sale. All I have is the flashlight itself, no battery, no charging cradle, no cords or adapters. Obviously I can just buy all the missing parts, but that comes close to the cost of a whole new system, unless I can find used ones somewhere.

So, before I go that route, I was wondering if there are any other options I can consider.

I did some searches here but they all seem to be about lamp mods or repairs to the OEM setup. If there is a thread covering my situation, I'd appreciate a link to it. I'm new here so please understand if I'm missing what's obvious to you.

EDIT: Thread updated in post #9.

Last edited:

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
I guess what I'm asking is if there's a way to use the light as is with the oem lamp, reflector, switch.. Perhaps some way to substitute the OEM battery pack, even if it recharges out of the light.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, just buy a battery for it, sold in a bunch of places here on cpf as well as ebay, amazon etc. Battery Junction has them here, others as well but only one I can remember. And a hobby charger. Malkoff also makes a nice led drop in for it.

Now, if your talking about just using regular batteries, that would require more math as it uses a 5 1/2 D cell battery pack thats 185ish mm long, not enough for 4 D or C cells. Though 3 would fit with a spacer but not enough juice I think to properly run it. Maybe others will chime in.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
You can get a battery from here and battery charger from market place of this forum.
If you can't get an original charger,
smart charger will also work.
I hope this helps.

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
Now, if your talking about just using regular batteries, that would require more math as it uses a 5 1/2 D cell battery pack thats 185ish mm long, not enough for 4 D or C cells. Though 3 would fit with a spacer but not enough juice I think to properly run it. Maybe others will chime in.

That's the direction I was thinking of; substituting some other rechargeable cells, maybe with some kind of DIY adapter/holder. I don't even know what the specs are for the OEM battery.

Epsilon

Enlightened
2x lifepo 26650 cells are or are almost a direct replacement. About the right length and voltage :). No real mods , only a sleeve for the cells.

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
Updating my old thread...

Today I found a new MC cradle on sale for $15 and also bought the newer NiMh battery stick for $22 at the local sport shop. So no need to fool with any mods or adapters. The battery seemed to be pretty well charged right out of the box. :thumbsup:

My question now concerns the AC adapter specs. I understand that a 12v DC PS with at least 500ma output should suffice. I have plenty of AC adapters in my stash that should work. My question has to do with the polarity. The cord on the cradle/charger has the round coaxial plug on the end with a center pin. Does anyone know if the supplied AC adapter is center positive? Most are but I want to be sure before I fry the new cradle charger.

I'd also appreciate confirmation or correction on the PS rating I mentioned.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Almost all center pins are indeed positive. But why guess if you can measure? :)

I do not have a adapter of the mag charger so can't comment on that.

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
The AC adapter I will be using is not the original. I know what the polarity of the AC adapter is. I'm not sure what polarity the cradle needs. I'm going to have to solder in the proper size plug that will fit the jack on the cradle. I can set the polarity correctly then, I'm just not sure that it's not center negative.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
M*gCharger battery has about 32mm diameter and length of 180mm with 6 Volt and capacity of (2200, 2500, 2600 NiCad) or (3500mAh NiMH)
2x21700 has about 21.5mm diameter and length of 150mm with 7.4 Volt and capacity of 5000mAh
It will be a good idea to switch to 2x21700 if you willing to individually charge them with proper charger.

LEDs can take 1.4 Volt extra but for incands there are many long life 6 volt bulbs (5W, 10W, 20W and 30W) to choose from.

Last edited: