Maglite 2D mod in 2021

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Being a purist flashaholic, I prefer the simple mods or rather reversible upgrades which do not change the light itself.

I'm considering upgrading my 2D Mag with a 6D bulb or Mag Charger bi-pin and 6AA 2D battery adapter. But the good stuff is long gone, and fivemega battery adapters and G4 Bi-Pin PR Sockets are no longer available.

I know the ceramic slug is available, but I don't fancy the hardware change at this point. Also, besides requiring fitting in, how is the slug better or different than the G4 Socket? Do I go the WTB route for parts?

What do you suggest?

Thanks

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a purist flashaholic, I prefer the simple mods or rather reversible upgrades which do not change the light itself.

I'm considering upgrading my 2D Mag with a 6D bulb or Mag Charger bi-pin and 6AA 2D battery adapter. But the good stuff is long gone, and fivemega battery adapters and G4 Bi-Pin PR Sockets are no longer available.

I know the ceramic slug is available, but I don't fancy the hardware change at this point. Also, besides requiring fitting in, how is the slug better or different than the G4 Socket? Do I go the WTB route for parts?

What do you suggest?

Thanks
This socket is another choice for M*g "D" size towerless switch system and will work with G4 bulbs too.

Using pair of
these and 6AA Eneloops will work with M*gCharger bulb. For longer bulb life, you can go 5AA Eneloops plus one dummy AA.

Pair of
26650 will fit in 2D M*g but needs some modification on tail spring to make good electrical contacts. I love this mode because has much more capacity for longer run time per charge and brighter output with 7.4 volt bulb.

My aluminum camless reflectors are
here.

My deep reflectors are
here.

Last edited:

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but I can't use flimsy adapters from the PRC, I need precision machined parts.

Might try the ceramic slug, but prefer a G4 Bi-Pin PR Socket.

Looks like Mag modding days are over 😥 tarde venientibus ossa.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need a g4 adapter. There are a lot of good pr based bulbs. Also there's the new mag bi pin bulbs. Tad customs has a fantastic 7212 bulb which is sweet. Can find him on the bay. Skip the AA-D adapters and go with 21700s. Would be better in a 3c than a 2d but if you already have it.
There are still Big D bulbs on the bay if you need blinding output.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way WAYYYY back in the day, a fun bulb to play with was the old KPR112. A decent PR-base bulb if you want an option to mess with that won't require serious mods to your light. If you search for those, you can run them on 9V for a nice bright if short-lived beam. Sputter your reflector with some clear Krylon and run on 6 AA's or 3 CR123's. Nothing like the ceramic-socket high power paper-burning jobs, but a decent entry level upgrade for playing around.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Way WAYYYY back in the day, a fun bulb to play with was the old KPR112. A decent PR-base bulb if you want an option to mess with that won't require serious mods to your light. If you search for those, you can run them on 9V for a nice bright if short-lived beam. Sputter your reflector with some clear Krylon and run on 6 AA's or 3 CR123's. Nothing like the ceramic-socket high power paper-burning jobs, but a decent entry level upgrade for playing around.

I still have some of those in a box around here somewhere.

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
I know this post is 2 months old but I'm in the middle of upgrading my 2D Mag right now. I decided to go with a 6D bulb and glass lens. After going back and forth on battery options I am now leaning towards getting 2 Saft LSH20s (lithium primaries) which are wildly expensive but will power the light for about 10 hours. As this is a light that stays in my glove box for emergency use the cost is more justifiable, and I like the indefinite shelf life + huge storage and operating temperature range.

The funny thing is that flashlight actually has an LED in it right now, but it was a cheap POS I got at the hardware store and the 6D Xenon bulb should actually be better.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
These cells are not made for this kind of current. I'm not sure what will happen as I've never used them. Yes the spec sheet says it's fine but I'm not sure how well it will work. Please keep us posted

Incandescent

Newly Enlightened
Those lithium cells are interesting. It seems like they're rated for a continuous 1.8A and the xenon should only draw about half of that.

I'm sure the xenon will be *way* better than the cheap LED. 150+ lumens of beautiful incandescent light.

Hamdad

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my Maglite 2D as it came. Bi-pin bulbs. I think it's a versatile light. I like the spot to flood and it's big enough not to get lost easily. I would agree that it isn't the brightest light, but it does throw that light pretty well. It gets used every day. On the job and at home.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nuf said Hamdad.
I updated a 2D incan with a glass lens and got the feeling it was brighter. Was it really? I believe it is for up close use but probably doesn't affect downstream uses enough to matter.

TurkishCoffee

Newly Enlightened
I got the batteries in the mail a bit early so I went ahead and did the mod. I can confirm that the LSH20s can produce plenty of current for the 6D bulb. I replaced the lens with glass. You can't see this in the pictures, but I noticed that with the beam on steady in my garage you can actually see waves of heat coming off of it in the beam. I haven't had a chance to try it outside but I expect the difference to be even more noticeable at a long distance.

Indoor beamshots for comparison. The first is the regular 2D Xenon bulb using Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs in parallel, vs Saft, autoexposure lock on:

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

IMG_9670.JPG

I also added a leather loop to the tailcap:

IMG_9673.JPG