MAGLite 6D-Cell (Krypton vs. Xenon Lamp)??

Wurkkos

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hmmmmmmmmmmm............

hi this is a fun thread I would just like to say that I am very pleased with a 2D > 6AA mod running a 4D Xenon lamp... Ooh it's bright.

the 4 cell xenon lamp usually flashes on that configuration, what kind of adapter are you using?

I have been fluffing around with the 5761 currently ran on 9AA enloops! nice bright but for the effort nahh not as rewarding as the simple mod's mentioned above.

The 5761 is a 6V bulb rated 100 hours life @6V will not survive even a second on 9AA eneloops unless you had some major resistance between the cells and the bulb. Cheap battery adapters designs for low current might provide enough resistance, but would melt down in the process. The 5761 is usually used in 6AA or 2xli-ion configurations, often with some form of soft-start or regulation in place to prevent premature failure.

Could somebody please tell me about... 3D > 8AA running a 6D Xenon lamp? I think that would smash my 5761 not in lumens but in useable visable brightness. I love the fact that overdriving a PR flange bulb also means the use of the original Mag reflector which seems to present a much tighter hot spot.

what do you mean by "useable visible brightness"? throw?
The 5761 properly driven with a 6 cell NIMH pack or 2 cell li-ion configuration will walk all over a 6 cell mag xenon bulb in every department, throw, total lumens, anything. They are so far apart it's like comparing elementary school soft-ball with major league baseball. 8AA cells will usually blow the 6 cell xenon, but not always, it will usually tolerate a 7 cell overdrive.

when using after-market bulbs with aluminum reflectors and such, you may need to modify things to get the bulb into focus properly. The 5761 should present much more throwing power when properly focused than a 6 cell xenon. The mag bulb may have a "tighter" beam when all said and done, but the massive power of the 5761 by comparison should trounce it regardless.

I know nothing :shakehead so please advise, what is the highest voltage PR flange type bulb that I could use in a Mag body no modding needed. The bigger & brighter the better I intend to give them away as gifts so no technical expertise is needed to replace the bulbs.

Thanks guy's

there are PR flanged bulbs made for cordless powertool flashlights that are 12V, 18V, 24V, ect etc.... probably all the way up to the 36V stuff coming out, but a higher voltage bulb isn't going to automatically make it brighter unless you provide those volts, and the bulb happens to also be high wattage.

I can make a 600V bulb only 50 lumens, just design the filament to have enough resistance that only 0.0025 amps flow across it. Point being, voltage isn't that important, wattage is.

The 5761 is a ~30W bulb, we oftentimes overdrive it to the tune of ~40W with the proper setup. A 6 cell mag xenon bulb operates at around 5-8 watts depending on how it's driven.

-------------------------------------------------

Eric

lux lumin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your assistance and yes your right as ever, I do have those cheap battery adaptors running my 5761 'resistance is my friend' :confused:

I have not had them melt on me 'yet' and the battery combi was ran down somewhat... I have 12AA enloope running a 12v 20watt frosted which is much brighter.

I will be digging out some 12v 340mA PR base bulbs later for some fun, and have decided that GX5.3 adaptor & MR16 50w 10` narrow beam will fit to nicely in my 4D mag :twothumbs

I could not do this without your help because without the feedback you guy's give me I would be in the dark! The real problem is waiting to go on my hol's because I live in central London and light pollution is a biggy... and when trying to test my lights, the frigging helecopters come and investigate.

so far I have a 2D 6AA with 4D Xenon 'nice'

3D - '8AA-will see' 5761

4D - 12AA 12v 20w frosted 'fantastic flood'

4D - 4D TLE 300 'flooding flood'

and loads of smaller mini-mod's

Any words of wisdom regarding the 6D so much choice... Would like +1000 lumens, retaining spot to flood, around 2Hrs run time and a range of 1/2 mile. Any sealed beam ideas?

thanks guy's

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Slightly off topic but what would be better on 4 carbon-zincs 3cell krypton hotwire or 4cell magmum star?

3 cell Xenon.

But seriously, dry cells? Krypton bulbs? You could estimate the voltage using your calculator -

OldCalc.jpg

[email protected]

Enlightened
The thing is that i'm running it in a eveready dolphin therefore 4f and we all know that the bigger the cell the less the voltage depression and all that. Btw a 3-cell xenon will instaflash.

Oh yeah and the dry cells are cheaper. But each to his own.

Also anyone know any good online store with good shipping to australia for the mag xenon's?

Edit: AFAIK xenon bulbs only started being popular back when cpf was founded so not THAT old.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The thing is that i'm running it in a eveready dolphin therefore 4f and we all know that the bigger the cell the less the voltage depression and all that. Btw a 3-cell xenon will instaflash.

Carbon zinc batteries provide the least regulation/current/voltage stability of all the D cell chemistries. Add to that the fact that you're using a flashlight of very old design which probably provides quite a bit of resistance. I don't think a 3-cell xenon bulb would be all that challenged by being directly wired to four dry cells, so unless you've done a fantastic job of low-resistance-modding your Dolphin, or you have a defective bulb, it should work fine.

Edit: AFAIK xenon bulbs only started being popular back when cpf was founded so not THAT old.

The jab referred to the should-be-defunct krypton bulbs, which were first made available long before that desktop calculator was introduced..

[email protected]

Enlightened
I've tried a xenon at 6 volts on a kinda used battery and :poof: and fresh ones are 6.6 volts. The dolphin is a year old design. Nice gag thanks for reminding me of my old age lol.

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any words of wisdom regarding the 6D so much choice... Would like +1000 lumens, retaining spot to flood, around 2Hrs run time and a range of 1/2 mile.

I like my ROP High bulb in my 6D. With 6 x 10,000mAH NiMH cells you would get 1000+ Lumen and 2+ Hours of run time. You still have focusing and a good range. I haven't really tried to see if I can illuminate something at 1/2 mile away - generally if it is that far away it doesn't matter to me. I also have an OP reflector so I get a bit less throw, but a nicer beam.

seatrue

Newly Enlightened
Re: MAGLite 6D-Cell (Krypton vs. Xenon Lamp)?? - Here's a good Maglite comparison**

I am comparing a Fenix TK20 (warm tint) LED (150 lumens factory rated with a 180 meter throw) with a 4D Maglite with Xenon bulb (rated at 124 lumens) - ((about half that of the 6D Maglite with Xenon bulb rated at 233 lumens)) :)

Ceiling bounce test: the lumen ratings definitely hold up with the published lumen ratings. the 4D Maglite with fresh alkalines is at least 70+% that of the Fenix on turbo (150 lumens with fully charged eneloops). Note: I did notice that the quality of the light from the Maglite felt considerably more natural to the eyes compared to a more sharper shade coming from the Fenix (even through this Fenix with the natural Q2 LED is not nearly so sharp on the eyes compared to the more commonly tinted LEDs).

Throw: this is what really surprised me. I tested the two flashlights at night shining towards the top of a 400 ft. building from 550 ft away (that was fun) - a total beam distance of 700 feet (215 meters). I could not make out the TK20 hitting it but the 4D Maglite just nailed it. Wow, Mags sure can throw; they are somehow able to focus to create a super-tight spot. Definitely worth the $18 I paid for it at Wal-Mart. (plus $3.39 for the Magnum Star Xenon bulb)

Conclusion: i think already mentioned (throw!, $18). would like to check out a 6D Maglite w/ xenon. :cool:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is something else to be said - although the Mag Xenon bulbs are truly excellent bulbs, with the new lithium batteries in 18500, C and 26500 sizes, you don't have to gio up to a 6D in size to enjoy the 6-cell bulb.

A 2D or 2C host with appropriate-sized lithium batteries will run the 6-cell bulb at its design voltage and current, and have all the brighness and throw, but in a much smaller package. And still with quite reasonable runtime.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
There is something else to be said - although the Mag Xenon bulbs are truly excellent bulbs, with the new lithium batteries in 18500, C and 26500 sizes, you don't have to gio up to a 6D in size to enjoy the 6-cell bulb.

A 2D or 2C host with appropriate-sized lithium batteries will run the 6-cell bulb at its design voltage and current, and have all the brighness and throw, but in a much smaller package. And still with quite reasonable runtime.

I have been using the 2C X 3CR123 mod using the 5-cell Magnum Star.Not sure what I'll get for bulb life but I am pleased with the results.Also the 2C X 3CR123 is a very easy and inexpesive mod(at least here in the states) for anyone interested.Runtime is short on this one though.

seatrue

Newly Enlightened
Ok, did some research on the lithium D sized batteries, wasn't sure if they were made to handle higher ranged currents (maybe as L-ions). I did buy a 2D Mag, and went the path of obtaining a couple of cheap 3aa > D battery trays and used them to run a 4d stock Mag Krypton bulb and it worked. Very nice and bright - really liked it (slightly brighter than my TK20 at 150 lumens!). I did flash it when I put in the 6 AA's fresh off the charger - think the batteries would require an overnight rest first.

Also tried 8AA in a 4D Mag running a 6D Mag Krypton bulb. It surprised me how bright it was when I first turned it on. Very white light as well - must be driven near or to the max. I didn't feel any need to test out a 6D Mag Xenon I had because I couldn't possibly imagine it being any brighter. I'll write back about this one once I've tested it out more - hoping the bulb lasts.

To add a note: came across (can't remember where on the web) info simply explaining the difference between a Krypton and Xenon bulb. Basically, the heavier the gas in the periodic chart (Xenon), the better it dissipates heat from the filament making it possible to run at high temperatures. That’s all.

...and more testing on the way:candle:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Also tried 8AA in a 4D Mag running a 6D Mag Krypton bulb. It surprised me how bright it was when I first turned it on. Very white light as well - must be driven near or to the max. I didn't feel any need to test out a 6D Mag Xenon I had because I couldn't possibly imagine it being any brighter.

If you're using NiMH cells, that's a good config. And if you use a Xenon bulb, it will indeed be brighter..

Howecollc

Enlightened

Oh yeah and the dry cells are cheaper. But each to his own.

Also anyone know any good online store with good shipping to australia for the mag xenon's?

I've always thought the Ikelite 0042.55 bulb would be a good choice for the brightest bulb to use with the Dolphin and other similar 6 volt lanterns. It's a 7.5 watt halogen used as the high output bulb option in a couple of 4 cell dive lights offered by Ikelite. It is rated 7.5 watts at 5.0 volts, is said to be very white in color, and seems likely to be manufactured by Carley. I once called the only dive shop in my town, and indeed they had it in stock, so it's probably locally available for most people; especially those near the Great Barrier Reef.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/119186-REG/Ikelite_0042_55_Halogen_Lamp_7_5_Watt.html

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
I tried this (4D / 8AAs / 6C/D-Krypton-bulb) too - very nice, insane throw :rock:. But the bulb instaflashed after I inserted fresh NiMHs...I admit that this was kind of stupid, I should have expected it :shakehead.

moviles

Enlightened
the Xenon is great. :twothumbs

Xenon 6Dcell vs Krypton 6Dcell (Both Mags running off fresh Duracell alkaline)

Much whiter & brighter.

:ohgeez: lol is not much impressive the amount of light for a so great one 6d flashlight

maybe you can buy some 1xaa more powerful