Maglite LED and incan mods and drop-ins, Overview

LukeW

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a silly question, but I have to confirm:

Can you mod an LED Mag3D to an incan? I have a Mag3D LED and I want my first mod to be a M@g85.

Cheers.

CampingLED

Enlightened
The only difference between the normal incan Mag 3D and the MagLED 3D is the globe. If you buy a loose MagLED (globe unit only) and put it in a normal Mag 3D you have a MagLED 3D. So i.t.o. mods there is no difference if you plan to mod the lamp and other internals.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you mod an LED Mag3D to an incan? I have a Mag3D LED and I want my first mod to be a M@g85.

Cheers.
It depends on which MagLED you have. The earlier ones were nothing more than the incandescent MagLite with a LED replacement bulb in place while the later ones were redesigned. The later ones can probably be modified into an incandescent but it would entail more work on your part. The way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the emitter. The old ones have a Luxeon III LED sitting on top of a metal can (5 or 6mm clear plastic dome sitting on a round black plastic piece that is about 8mm in diameter) while the newer ones have a Rebel LED sitting on top of a larger metal can (3mm clear plastic dome sitting offset on top of a tiny rectangular piece). There are a few posts around here showing the differences between the two.

With regards to converting a newer MagLED to a Mag85, you would not be able to use the switch that comes with the light as the tower is completely different and cannot easily be made to fit a bi-pin or potted bulb. I'm pretty sure that an older-style switch or a Mag-Charger switch would just drop in but I'm not 100% sure about this. You would need a new reflector anyway so the deeper reflector of the newer model would not be an issue.

Hmm, I just might build one of these myself with that old incan 3D that I have...

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Cheers.

As said by the previous poster, depends on which MagLED you have.

Check the talicap, if there is a incan bulb, then you have the luxeon version and you can easily make it into a Mag85 if you have the parts.

If not, then get an incan 3D or find another host that could work.

(note to self, need to update the first post)

Wiggy

Newly Enlightened
Why are alkaline batteries not a good choice for incan? I'm trying to come up with a nice Maglite to keep by the bed, but the cost of NiMH and keeping them charged makes me hesitant on a ROP mod.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are alkaline batteries not a good choice for incan? I'm trying to come up with a nice Maglite to keep by the bed, but the cost of NiMH and keeping them charged makes me hesitant on a ROP mod.

Short answer: because alks cannot maintain the current flow necessary to drive a decent incan.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alkalines are fine for low current draw - the standard Maglite bulbs work fine from fresh Alkalines. But if you want a brighter bulb then the Alkalines really struggle - they just can't deliver the amperage while maintaining good voltage. For a ROP mod you really do have to go with NiMH or Li-ion because they are capable of delivering the necessary amps at a decent voltage. Alkalines also perform poorly over their discharge times - starting OK (if the amps are low) and gradually dropping voltage so that a half flat incan gives you a sickly yellow/orange light output from a standard mag bulb.

I prefer the Li-ion ROP build because charging 2 cells is easier than charging 6 cells and it is easy to have more energy from Li-ion than from NiMH cells.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm a TOTAL newb with regard to quality flashlights in general, and modding in particular. So, let me get this straight: I can turn my basic Maglite 3D crappy-performance flashlight into a 260 lumen, long-throw (1000 ft.) light that runs for 6 hrs. on 3D alkaline batteries by dropping in this module? :duh2:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-module-for-36-dcell-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html

How is the Maglite reflector cut (procedure mentioned in the Malkoff ad) ?

Does this Malkoff drop-in make financial sense? Or can I buy a similar, or better, performing throw flashlight for the similar money? :confused:

Thanks for any thoughts!

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm just going to try the Fusion 36 drop in for my Mag 3D...seems to have some good results reviewed by members. As it's only $25 shipped, instead of Malkoff prices, not much to lose .

z**

Falcon1439

Newly Enlightened
Easy heatsinking mod for 2D LED maglite?

I've just bought one and with limited tools and expertise I was wondering if there is a basic/intermediate modification to improve the heatsinking. I live in England so please don't recommend things I can only buy in America or some other far away foreign country.

othater

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a older thread.
I have a Mag AA and Mag 2D, Looking for a quick drop in using alkaline batteries.
I've read the Malkoff is hard to find on their site which are currently sold out.
Did a search for the fusion 36 and it sent me to ebay which was also sold out.
Any other suggestions for a replacement upgrade?
Thank you.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to check the Marketplace Malkoffs pop up over there once in awhile. You'll have to register and create a username to post though. I've bought many things over there and never had a bad experience.

:welcome:

Last edited:

TJIANG

Newly Enlightened
Still don't sure the difference of these 4 MAGLITE 2D
( exclude MAGLITE 2D PRO )

Anyone can help with explanation please ?

599198_442434612497923_1328756151_n.jpg

PyroKid

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at various ways to mod Maglites, and so far I haven`t found and instructions with regards to installing a TTS-3WCR90 XP-G R5 LED into a 4D Maglite Help please?

rahul_does

Newly Enlightened
Re: drop-ins.

I have asked the Missus Google and she also did not know!!! For the life of me, what IS a 'drop-in'? Please do not ban me. This is a genuine question.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have been looking at various ways to mod Maglites, and so far I haven`t found and instructions with regards to installing a TTS-3WCR90 XP-G R5 LED into a 4D Maglite Help please?

As far as I know you just replace the incandescent bulb with the LED "bulb". They look the same below the flanges.
If you have a newer MAG that has the bi-pin bulb, remove the holder for that bulb also.

schalliol

Newly Enlightened
I have a stock 6D from the early 90s and want to up the output. I don't need ages of runtime, and I don't want to do any mods. I'd prefer to just pay an amount for something/somethings I can easily drop in (a few min of simple work is okay). I'm going to be using this mainly for camping/night hiking. The first page appears not to have been updated in years. Any ideas of what works very well? Thanks!

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I have a stock 6D from the early 90s and want to up the output. I don't need ages of runtime, and I don't want to do any mods. I'd prefer to just pay an amount for something/somethings I can easily drop in (a few min of simple work is okay). I'm going to be using this mainly for camping/night hiking. The first page appears not to have been updated in years. Any ideas of what works very well? Thanks!
Google Fusion 36.I have one in a 6D and i think its great and IMO perfect for camping if you want to use such a big light in the first place :)