Maglite (LED) - Unable to remove button/switch (set screw doesn't turn?)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
most won't fit unless you grind the sides down to the same diameter as the head - that's why I said they were hard to find. Thay come with the switch assembly, but I don't think Mag sells just the torx key without the switch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
most won't fit unless you grind the sides down to the same diameter as the head - that's why I said they were hard to find. Thay come with the switch assembly, but I don't think Mag sells just the torx key without the switch.
Good point.

Torx "L Key" is what to look for. Home Depot probably has them in the wood working tools area.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point.

Torx "L Key" is what to look for. Home Depot probably has them in the wood working tools area.
last time I looked, nothing at home depot would fit. I don't know if anyone found a source other than in the ones that come with the Mag switches.

there was a long thread on this -

sofakng

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ... I've checked pretty much everywhere (including Amazon) but I can't seem to find one. If anybody knows of a source please let me know.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Sorry, but I have another question...

Can anybody recommend a Torx T8 allen key/wrench that will fit into the hole?

When I put the switch back into the housing I'll need to tighten the screw and don't want to strip it.

Make a trip to home depot, auto zone, wal-mart, etc. Can get a whole set for decent price, usable for most things successfully if you're careful.

turbodog

Flashaholic
auto zone $13.99

duralast short arm star key 9 piece

1663645052092.png

turbodog

Flashaholic
That's all the common sizes. Not sure if t8 is in there... but it probably is if you view the item details.

1663805814660.png

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soon after I bought a Maglite repair kit at eBay. I'll just swap out the switch if need be.

Did that come with a wrench? (I thought I read the replacement switch comes with one). If so, was it really that much more expensive than a set of decent quality wrenches?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the reason for my question(s) is that the last mention I see about the current operation / status of the switch is post #13, and in that post I gather the switch was not yet 'repaired' and working correctly. Have I missed something?:

..."However, after I reassemble the switch, the button is still sticky. I'm not sure which part(s) are causing it though."...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did that come with a wrench? (I thought I read the replacement switch comes with one). If so, was it really that much more expensive than a set of decent quality wrenches?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the reason for my question(s) is that the last mention I see about the current operation / status of the switch is post #13, and in that post I gather the switch was not yet 'repaired' and working correctly. Have I missed something?:

..."However, after I reassemble the switch, the button is still sticky. I'm not sure which part(s) are causing it though."...
The repair kit I mentioned AZ was a dealer replenish kit with 6 sets of switches for C and D lights, lenses, reflectors, o'rings etc. It was a pre-torx era kit so it only came with the hex wrench. Some neighbors had asked me to fix their old incan Maglites and one had a switch that flickered.

I took the light apart, cleaned it up and it still acted up. Looked up some stuff here at CPF on how to remove the switch and did that. I took the switch apart and pieces went flying. I found them all but had no idea how to reassemble so it was a trial and error thing until the correct function occured. I ended up swapping the switch out since the owner was an elderly widow so I wanted to ensure the light would operate 100% again. New lens, 2 new bulbs etc.

Perhaps this will help

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried again with the 2mm and with some angled pressure I was able to get it out but it looks stripped as I expected:

View attachment 32018

Can I purchase a replacement set screw?

(I'm not sure how it became stripped... My first attempts were using a 2mm allen hex key...) It's also odd that the set screw has a hex-shape in the center, haha.

Thanks so much for the help!
That screw certainly does appear to be stripped. I know you're looking for what would have been the correct Torx wrench for that screw, but even if you find the wrench that won't help as long as this stripped screw is all you have to reinstall. If you reinstall this screw you likely won't be able to get it tight, and if you manage to, likely won't ever be able to remove it again.

Have you considered replacing the screw with something more commonly available (perhaps Allen head (which people suggest is what was originally used in these lights), along with getting a wrench (perhaps 'ball-head' if access is off-axis) that's also more commonly available to go with that new screw?

Barring all that, are you perhaps now more willing to just buy the replacement switch, which probably (should) come with a wrench (and a screw), and get on with life?

Also, is the switch still 'sticking' as you indicated in post #13?

'Fixing' something is one thing, but doing it without either parts or tools is quite another can of worms. You may be making things very difficult for yourself here.:)

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Might be able to force a wrench in there. Also, last time I saw it, the original screw has a point to pierce the anodizing. Might just have some oxidation down there.