Maglite Mag-Tac - Not impressed...

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I wasnt impressed either. I have both crenelated and non crenelated versions and was expecting a good bit more especially given the price I paid for them not long after they came out. I like the switch it is fine. I LOVE the tough thick metal bodies but cannot stand the cheesy and cheap plastic reflector and even cheesier and cheaper plain plastic lens. Also the screw off heads are plastic. Idk what kind of emitter M*g used but both lights put out a color beam starting to go into the purple spectrum a bit. The beam profiles were just okay. Both compared to my Fenix PD32's, 310 lumen and 340 lumen, just fall totally flat against the cheaper Fenix. The PD32's have beam profiles that I personally think of as near perfect. The 310 lumen version was brighter than the crenelated M*g and both PD's have excellent semi neutral tints and seem to even have more range than the M*gs.

I improved the M*gs a bit by changing out both cheap plastic lenses with glare coated(on both sides)glass lenses after which they both threw a slight but noticeably better beam but still not in PD32 league.

Ill pass on the new rechargeable version. It would be so easy for M*g to update the M*gtacs reflector to aluminum, used glare coated glass and change the heads from plastic to metal as well as using XML2s instead of whatever the cheap LED it is they use now. The design has SO much potential but just falls flat through its cheap touches.
"Crenelated Bezels were Plastic?" Appears to be strong aluminum to me! I wouldn't want to get smacked in the melon with it!!!!
91770196a76a4cf77b16e703d55e75cd.jpg

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been waiting for this light for a long, long time.

I would like to know what size LiFePO4 cell is in there. I would also like to know what regulation, if any, it has. At 3.2v nominal, even with the greater efficiency of modern LEDs, I don't know how long regulation would last. However, I may still try one out for the supreme convenience.

If it has decent regulation and if it meets lumen claims (I am assuming XM-L2), then the only remaining question for me is whether an emitter swap would be possible. If so, this could become my new compact hiking light, once it's been neutralized.

I would still carry an 18650 platform light as a backup, but most of my evening walks are well within the four hours of the 112 lumen mode,and if the beam is decent, 112 well-shaped lumens could be enough.

The convenience alone would be worth it.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I like mine. Good beam for the purpose, nice size for a monkey grip. But too heavy, I only want to carry it in a winter coat pocket. Plastic & a lighter battery even if less runtime would improve it. The plastic clip is terrible, the attachment nut breaks or strips.

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
I like mine. Good beam for the purpose, nice size for a monkey grip. But too heavy, I only want to carry it in a winter coat pocket. Plastic & a lighter battery even if less runtime would improve it. The plastic clip is terrible, the attachment nut breaks or strips.
I use holsters for mine, not a big clip guy for larger lights.