Maglite Mini with Nichia 219 4500K HCRI?

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I have an old incandescent maglite mini that has been sitting around. While researching LED replacement bulbs, I decided that the TerraLUX is what I will be going with.

The TerraLUX looks like a really well built LED upgrade for older maglites, I will place a link below. I would like to possibly take the existing emitter off and re solder a Nichia 219 4500K High CRI in place. My only question is regarding the board..will this LED fit on the existing board? Are there any other options to stuff a Nichia 219 LED inside an older maglite?

http://www.lighthound.com//TerraLUX...t-bulb-for-MiniMagLite-Flashlight_p_2143.html

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't look like it as there is no PCB space to reflow solder the Nichia on to. I'm about to upgrade a friends mini maglite to a nichia but I will probably have to custom machine a heat-sink for the job.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
Do you think this one would work? It has a large heat sink and a cree LED. I think I read the Nichia is drop in replaceable with cree LED's?

Ebay Item number: 350559104464

Do not link directly to eBay Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

copperfox

Enlightened
I just ordered that new style TLE-5EX with the xp-e. I will try to reflow either the Nichia 219 or an XP-G onto it.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one from the above link as well. Please let me know how it goes, I would love to slam a Nichia 219 4500K HCRI in there.

copperfox

Enlightened
I received the module - the beam is terrible! haha. I have an older terralux dropin with the SSC P4, and the beam on that one is much better.

I had the idea of spraying the reflector with some clear spray paint for a DIY-stipple. I've done that before with pretty good results.

I haven't modded it yet, and I don't know how soon I'm going to get to it. My plan is to aim a heat gun at the top of the module to melt the solder holding the XP-E on. I've done this before with metal-core PCBs with great results (4Sevens Maelstrom G5 and SWM V11R XML to name a few), but usually I heat the bottom of the board; the tricky thing here is that I would have to heat the TOP of the module because I don't want to heat the bottom. I don't know how successful that will be. There is a chance I'll kill the circuit.

I don't have any Nichias, and I only have one XPG left (high-cri), and I don't think I'm going to use that one on this module.

MosesM

Newly Enlightened
I don't have this drop-in, but before you take a heat gun to it you should desolder the emitter's connection to the board first, heat up the edge of the emitter pad with a soldering iron, then try prying it off.

If the whole module gets hot enough to desolder the emitter, you can count on whatever electronics in there coming off as well. They key here is being precise with where you heat up.