MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

rockz4532

rockz4532

Enlightened
Re: MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!!

i wonder if the regulation is different.

Cydonia

Cydonia

Enlightened

Bad news indeed. The logical choice would have been to go to a TFFC K2. Very disappointing.
On the other hand, maybe they changed the circuit? Someone will have to get one of these new MagLED's and check current at the LED etc.,

Marduke

Marduke

Flashaholic

I looked, but they did not have the individual LED upgrade units for sale. The MiniMagLED's were still all Lux 3's. All of thier MagLED products were on sale/clearance to some extent.

Nitroz

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bad news indeed. The logical choice would have been to go to a TFFC K2. Very disappointing.
On the other hand, maybe they changed the circuit? Someone will have to get one of these new MagLED's and check current at the LED etc.,

Yes and no. The K2 creates lots of heat when running at full power, and as we all know the Mag design is horrible at dissipating heat away and then throttles back making all that possible horsepower useless. It would be like putting 155/80/12 Geo Metro tires on a Ferrari. :)

I think the 0100 would be a better option, or a Seoul p4. Too bad they botched the design from the start.:ohgeez:

Z

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

Yes and no. The K2 creates lots of heat when running at full power, and as we all know the Mag design is horrible at dissipating heat away and then throttles back making all that possible horsepower useless. It would be like putting 155/80/12 Geo Metro tires on a Ferrari. :)

I think the 0100 would be a better option, or a Seoul p4. Too bad they botched the design from the start.:ohgeez:

I thought that the K2 was supposed to be more robust at handling heat?Considering the design limitations with no heatsinking the LED isn't going to be driven hard for very long anyway.With all the problems TerraLUX had with Seouls from the start I can't see how they would be a better option in a light without heatsinking.The Rebel 60 sounds like a cost effective solution for Mag but I also would rather have the TFFC K2.

Nitroz

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought that the K2 was supposed to be more robust at handling heat?Considering the design limitations with no heatsinking the LED isn't going to be driven hard for very long anyway.With all the problems TerraLUX had with Seouls from the start I can't see how they would be a better option in a light without heatsinking.The Rebel 60 sounds like a cost effective solution for Mag but I also would rather have the TFFC K2.

To ring out the maximum lumens from a K2 you have to push them at 1.5 amps, and these things generate some serious heat. I have one in a Mag and must say I love the tint. It does focus to a needle point but does not have any spill, the Seoul give a good combination of both and a decent tint if you get the right bin.

The K2 TFFC's should be able to handle the heat better, but at the same time they put off alot of heat which will cause the module to throttle back the current which equals a dimmer light. Don't get me wrong, I love the Philips/Lumileds LEDs but they have been surpassed IMO by Cree and Seoul. I wish they would get back in the game.

P

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened

My Home Depot has 2D Mag-leds with Rebels, and since a package was already open, I took it out and checked it out today. (sorry no camera)

First thing - The old packaging had a picture that showed the LED module and a PR incan module with arrows indicating one could swap them: on the newer Rebel models, this pictures is gone.....

.....because as far as I can tell the Rebel LED module is not removeable :thumbsdow. There is no screw-on collar like the old ones had. In fact, I even went at it with a pair of pliers to see if I could pull it out, but had no luck.

The light is still focusable however.

I'm willing to bet this new module and its inability to be removed and swapped are a cost savings from Mag instead of any real upgrade.

B

Bullzeyebill

Staff member

Sounds like they used epoxy to hold the emitter down. Just a guess.

Bill

D

darknessemitter

Enlightened

My Home Depot has 2D Mag-leds with Rebels, and since a package was already open, I took it out and checked it out today. (sorry no camera)

First thing - The old packaging had a picture that showed the LED module and a PR incan module with arrows indicating one could swap them: on the newer Rebel models, this pictures is gone.....

.....because as far as I can tell the Rebel LED module is not removeable :thumbsdow. There is no screw-on collar like the old ones had. In fact, I even went at it with a pair of pliers to see if I could pull it out, but had no luck.

The light is still focusable however.

I'm willing to bet this new module and its inability to be removed and swapped are a cost savings from Mag instead of any real upgrade.

That's too bad :( But do you think it's possible that they improved the heat sinking?

asdalton

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's too bad :( But do you think it's possible that they improved the heat sinking?

The poor heatsinking of the MagLED module is due to the lack of a thermal path between the lamp holder and the body. You need something like the Malkoff Mag drop-in (which requires sawing off the reflector cam) to make a thermal path to the body.

Without a good thermal path there are only 2 options:

1) Throttle back the current when the LED gets hot. (Mag already does this.)
2) Use a more efficient LED, so that you can use less power to get the same output. (It remains to be seen if Mag has done this.)

Illum

Illum

Flashaholic

glued in rebel....hmmm, perhaps mag made the pedestal metal finally:popcorn:

L

likeguymontag

Enlightened

They had the Rebel MagLeds at the Lowes and WalMart in Frederick, MD. Or was it Home Depot? I can never tell them apart... :ironic:

As reported, I only saw them in the full size models, not the AA lights or the drop-ins. They definitely say 060 or 090 depending on your perspective. Ha. That was a joke. Perspective...

Marduke

Marduke

Flashaholic

I went to a different Lowe's and a Walmart. Both had them. This time I brought the camera, but had an awful time trying to get a decent picture through the frosty packaging. Below are some of the better ones that came out. I threw in a pic of the Lux 3 as seen through the packaging so you can clearly see it looks different. I did not open one up, but through the reflector it looks like it uses the same pill as before.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bsmoooth/RebelMag

Fallingwater

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maglite using relatively new parts?
Rebel 60s do not qualify as relatively new parts.
Mag keeps disappointing. Wouldn't have expected anything else.
Next step: Cree P4s when everybody else will be using R5s (or whatever we'll have by then).

Last edited:
Z

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

To ring out the maximum lumens from a K2 you have to push them at 1.5 amps, and these things generate some serious heat. I have one in a Mag and must say I love the tint. It does focus to a needle point but does not have any spill, the Seoul give a good combination of both and a decent tint if you get the right bin.

The K2 TFFC's should be able to handle the heat better, but at the same time they put off alot of heat which will cause the module to throttle back the current which equals a dimmer light. Don't get me wrong, I love the Philips/Lumileds LEDs but they have been surpassed IMO by Cree and Seoul. I wish they would get back in the game.

I'm not necessarily a fan of of Lumileds but the TFFC K2s seem to work well in my INOVAs.I will probably break down and get a Malkoff eventually anyway as it has heatsinking.I would really like to see a warmer Magled module but I don't know if the Rebels now being used offer anything like that.I also wonder if a Rebel would hold up isolated in a Magled module.I did enquire to Gene M. about the warm CREEs but they apparently don't work well with the stock Mag reflector.

J

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also wonder if a Rebel would hold up isolated in a Magled module.

Shouldn't be a big problem as mag does cut back power to reduce heat. However it does get a lot warmer than well heatsinked light so LED lifetime is probably reduced.

PhantomPhoton

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rebel 60? WTF? We had rebel 80's 15 months ago. Well at least [email protected] is consistently behind the times.
I sure hope we're wrong about the flux bin on that.
on second thought I'll edit out the rant before posting it

:sigh:

Nitroz

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rebel 60s do not quality as relatively new parts.
Mag keeps disappointing. Wouldn't have expected anything else.
Next step: Cree P4s when everybody else will be using R5s (or whatever we'll have by then).

By looking at charts, the P4 Cree would put out more light then the 060 Rebel.:shakehead But then you have the reflector issue with a Mag and Cree LEDs.

I did enquire to Gene M. about the warm CREEs but they apparently don't work well with the stock Mag reflector.

That would be correct. The Cree LEDs and a stock Mag reflector create a horrible beam. Throw the same Cree in a deep reflector and it's a different story.

That is why I said that a Seoul would work best in a Mag due to it being close to the Philips emission pattern. Not to mention it puts out more light.