Maglite XL100 LED Flashlight Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, I wonder if 1AA would be possible...the tailcap would need to be shrunk down though.

Personally, I'm OK with AAA's, though I prefer AA. I have have a stash of Duracell Ultra AAA's, and have finally found a use for these two straggler AAA Duraloops from the Costco 10-pack (after purchasing a 4-pack of AAA's though). :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Very nice review Robin. Thanks. After scanning both review threads I didn't find, or just missed, comments on the lowest level (not the nightlight setting). What would you estimate the output to be, or how does it compare to some other lights?

Geoff

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! :)

Maglite says it's 8% power, and max output is 83 lumens, so it would be around 6 lumens. I think that's about right, it's still a bit painful to look straight at the LED on lowest brightness.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would def make a good night light for the living room.......i use a nitecore with a bottlecap diffuser on the kitchen table almost on its lowest setting, and in the living room i use an ITP SA1 with bottlecap as a diffuser also on its lowest setting. This beats locating the light switch since its turned on via lamp. Do you by any chance know the runtime on its lowest setting.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not when the power goes out like its been doing lol......I had to go potty one night and i somehow knocked my light over that i keep next too me in bed.....well the power was out that night and the wife and i didnt know it. I charge a lot of batts when i come home from work because the kids also have those little lights that you get from wallyworld thats a lantern and flashlight all in one and they use 4AAA's.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, haha...yeah, it would work well for that. If you leave it in nite lite mode, battery life will probably be a bit less than 200 hours, but it'll go to 100% if you move it so you won't have to change modes. The light does tail-stand, but if you need it to be really stable, a 2AA anti-roll ring on the back end will do the job.

I do wish the power would go out more often here though...it'll give me "the flashaholic's dream" in addition to ending noisy monkey business and gatherings next door. :laughing:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sucks having the power go out especially in the winter here......last couple of times the power was out for 3-4 hours and damn it was cold in here. We were the only one in the neighborhood that looked like we had power because all my lights were turned on.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes i know....i grew up in Lemoore which was close to Fresno and San Diego, but over here you need more then just a jacket...lol. If im able to find that light in the store then im going to pick it up.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Amazon's your best bet at $40 shipped. MSRP is $39.99, and if they don't inflate the price, you'll still need to pay tax in a store (if they even have it, which I doubt).

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's now a very small link to it on the home page (after intro). Their website isn't all that great, quite inconsistent with formatting too.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool.....just became a fan of them on facebook and it seems that theres a little buzz on this light.

McAllan

Enlightened
Nice! Just when I though I was just about finished buying any more Maglites they bring this cutie out...

Saw a demo of the UI on youtube. Quite something else from all those other lights. Great to see such innovation instead of the usual soft buttons and reverse clickies :twothumbs

If I may wish for a few things it's hard anodizing, crystal of glass instead of plastic (that's probably an easy DIY job) and metal reflector. :poke:
Would be nice if they brought out a single AA version with the mentioned improvements :popcorn:

And I'm a bit curious about the driver. With 3 AAA and the given features one could easily get the impression of a PWM direct drive (perhaps with a max current limiter) circuit :green: Guess we'll have to wait and see until someone analyze and/or disassembles this light to know how it's constructed. Ideally a 3 AAA would need a buck/boost while a 1 AA would be a little simpler as only boost is needed. ;)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may wish for a few things it's hard anodizing, crystal of glass instead of plastic (that's probably an easy DIY job) and metal reflector. :poke:
I don't think a metal reflector will help much, but as for glass, I investivated that. It turns out that you'll need a tool to remove the reflector, and the tool is still being developed. They said that the XL100 is similar to the Solitaire, so if you have one, you'll know what you're up against.

And I'm a bit curious about the driver. With 3 AAA and the given features one could easily get the impression of a PWM direct drive (perhaps with a max current limiter) circuit :green: Guess we'll have to wait and see until someone analyze and/or disassembles this light to know how it's constructed. Ideally a 3 AAA would need a buck/boost while a 1 AA would be a little simpler as only boost is needed. ;)
It is definately not direct drive, it's buck-boost regulated. I was able to run the light off of two partially drained AAA's, although very dimly. Same LED module as in the 3D LED Maglite I believe, or at least very similar to it.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking of Polycarbonate lenses would replacing it with glass actually increase the light out? my guess is not by much.

And apart from UCL being more desirable Polycarbonate lens are not likely to shatter on impact yes it can scratch easily but under normal use I don't see that will be a problem for me.

And it has to be said Maglite aren't the only manufacturers using plastic lens,to name two Novatac and sunlite use plastic lens,I also think people are attaching "oh don't go there it has plastic parts" labels unnecessarily IMHO.

I for one am prepared to give plastic a chance :twothumbs