Maglites more useful than you'd think!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Maglites more useful than you\'d think!

Cant be many of us here with flashlights who dont own or haven'towned Maglites?

Anyway I've spent a whole bucket load of money on Surefires,and other high end lights only to feel guilty about not using my Maglites of which I've quite a few.

Funny thing is despite the bashing Maglite gets for out of date technology etc, they are incredibly well built and long lasting lights. I've got a 3D which has the really large diameter tube which hasn't been used by Maglite for years. I reckon that it is at least 20 years old and still in great nick. Anyway I got so peeved with the performance of most of them that I recently almost chucked the whole lot out.

It then occurred to me that Mags do in fact have a lot going for them. They are cheap (relatively speaking for what they are) well built and very robust. They last indefinitely and are not that sought after that those of the light fingered brigade are very interested in acquiring them. In the UK spares are readily available FOC from Burton McCall who do a very prompt turnaround on parts.

Mags are used by loads of folks for LED mods and some folks have even turned Mags into extremely powerful light and sought after lights.

Since I've discovered Everleds, MJLED, Opalec and Terralux + cheap diffusing film (Sateen Scotch tape in my case) My Mags have all taken on a completely new lease of life.

For those of you who say yeah but for the cost of the LED bulbs I could have gotten a new light, I agree. However, if I'd then later on needed parts to keep those cheap lights going how many of those would parts be available for? Would those parts be easy to obtain in my own country? Would that particular model of cheap light even be available any more?

Think about it? Maybe Mag has more going for it than I'd originally thought!

Doug
__________________ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglites more useful than you\'d think!

yup i agree , if it wasnt for LED mods, i dont know what i would do with the mag, probably toss it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fat_Tony

Enlightened

I still have a bunch of stock Mags, which, even though I don't use, I have 'uses' for. I.E. - I travel with a 5D cell Mag in my overnight bag. It is sufficiently bright if I need a light, and some of its attributes make me feel more "comfortable" in strange surroundings, if you know what I mean!! (I have stock 4 and 6D cell mags at home for the same reason, too). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Fat Tony I know where you are coming from! LOL!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

Well, I agree that Maglites are very well made for what they are. I think that people criticize them because:
- Despite being innovative in the past, Mag doesn't innovate any more, at least not in it's designs. (Possibly they are innovative in their manufacturing.)
- Some people would rather have textured reflectors and better beam quality than the extra throw.
- Their annodizing isn't as robust as some would like.

The last complaint is somewhat nitpicky. It's somewhat weird that they don't address the issue of beam quality, but they love throw, so we'll give them a pass on that.

The lack of innovation is the biggest problem from my perspective. I have a 4D maglite. I don't carry it because:
- it's bulky, it totally sucks carrying this light on long hikes
- there's no way to carry it stealthily. If I don't want everyone to know I'm carrying a light, I'm not going to carry this light.
- Carrying spare cells for it is just not practical.
- although the ability to focus the beam is a benefit in theory, just about everyone I've ever seen use one of these lights focuses the beam at max. throw, resulting in a less generally useful beam, in my opinion.

I think part of the reason people pick on them is because they are so well made, especially for the money. I think it is frustrating to see someone do something so well, but see them fail to take the next logical step. Can you imagine how different the flashlight market would be if Mag had built something like the Pelican M6, first? (Small form-factor, lithium celled incand?) My suspicion is that had they done this, a great many of the lights we like now would simply not exist.

The fact that the light is so easy to mod just kind of hammers this point in. If it's easy for some of us to improve the Mag, why can't Mag just do it?

UVvis

Enlightened

In an emergency,

Mag lights are both great clubs for... uh... cleaning carpets. I've also used the body of one to get more length on a wrench (or spanner) for torque purposes.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Yeah, well I did say they had more going for them than you'd thought,and UVvis you've just taken that to the next level! LOL!

Doug

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wouldn't pay retail for a Mag (I don't pay retail for much of anything) but when they've got a 4D on sale for 9.99 with Duracell batteries, I always pick a few up. Especially when I'm looking for a light to use around grabby folks, as it would be way easier for them to wander away with my G2 than it would be a 4D sized light. .

DimBeam

Enlightened

Great baseball bat! We should organize a CPF softball game and issue each team 6 D Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

sniper

Enlightened

Welll...uh...yeah, The good and bad points of Mag Lights, their lack of "innovation", and who likes 'em and who doesn't has been batted around probably since they were invented.
Hopefully, Mag lights will be brought into the 21st century soon, BUT...if not, there are guys out there who will invent a better sheinwerfer.

But, and this may be a shock to some, most people that buy and use flashlights aren't as...aahh...dedicated as most people on the forums. ALL they need and want is something that doesn't cost a mint, is reliable when they need it, has a tad of coolth and isn't ugly as a mud fence.

There is a whole world of solutions that weren't even dreamed of when I bought my first Mag. It is beaten and battered, but still WORKS! I have two more of the newer, thinner tube models, bought for significantly less than the $20.00 figure, one modded, and one still in the drawer.

I also love my MJLED modded Minis with clickies. Mag is asleep if they don't offer something like that soon. It could be made for not much more than the Minis sold every day, and the clickie could be offered as an accessory, a'la the bezel, pen clips and pouch things you see for $3.50 next to the mag rack. I'd buy it!

Until they do, we will just have to mod what we have, which makes them more useful, and for not a lot more money.

The focus capability has never been a big point of usefulness to me, but it has sure sold a lot of Mags.
All my lights might as well not have the feature, because it is set and forget during the first use.

It will be interesting to see what the future brings, but until then, if you want an easy to find, good looking, made in the USA, reasonable quality, reasonably priced (did I mention rugged)light, and comes in 21 beautiful colors, Who Ya Gonna Call? MAG LIGHT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The alternative? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

In other words, many of us chose Mags for the same reason our wives chose us: For the potential to change what is being acquired. As Oscar Wilde put it: "When a woman marries, three things change: His hours, his friends, and his habits."

mateen

Enlightened

I like Mags because they don't get stolen as much. Also, with the various sandwiches available, you can make one do whatever you want it to.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

When they first came out they were ahead of their time; today they are definitely behind the times...

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
When they first came out they were ahead of their time; today they are definitely behind the times...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Bulk, Maybe a future project of yours could be an 8 D-cell "Lion CLUB " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

some 1-2 months ago the local "austrian Mag repair center" owner told me there are rumors Mag is going to bring a LED MiniMag on the market
(...because it is said that all the various conversions in america have greatly increased numbers of lights been sent back to Mag because of faliure)

unfortunately he did not have time to get a look on my MM sandwich or the other conversion in the 8X body (3 Watt Lux running at 700 mA).
I guaranteed him he does not have any light in his shop nearly as bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

For all you LED lovers, don't forget to take a trip over to the bright side. Do yourselves a favor and build a Mag85. If you can lay your hands on a 3" head, so much the better.
flashed.gif

mykall

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently illumination wise this is true. But MMM.
(MAGS were MADE to be MODDED)

I still like my mini-mags for early in the moring
and late at night around the house when I don't
want to turn on lights because they
handle so well. Mod w/ Terralux or MJ and
you've got a nice light for just Monopoly money.

MB

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JimH said: Do yourselves a favor and build a Mag85.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last week I converted a 18 year old 3D Mag to a 1185. When I tried it out that night, I almost pissed my pants. My poor Tigerlight is going to get lonely.
I want to do a 2D now.