Magnetic generators...energy for free!

Brock

Flashaholic
Ya Darell, it should charge while your stopped, it would run so much further that way
wink.gif

Although, on a similar note if you string about a 1/8 mile of wire out (up off the ground) and then connect it to the + on a battery it will charge the battery. The - side is connected to an earth ground. The longer the wire the more power. It is a really small amount, don't know the specifics. The problem is if you have a storm come through your batteries get fried by lightning. Apparently Ham radio guys know this from their antennas.

Ted try it out and let me know how to build it
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Brock:
Apparently Ham radio guys know this from their antennas.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, but us HAM guys know to ground the antenna!

Heck, you can just leave a battery in the sun and it'll juice up an insignificant amount. I wonder if I can figure out how to market THAT useless amount of power generation....
smile.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Brock:
Apparently Ham radio guys know this from their antennas.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, but us HAM guys know to ground the antenna!

Heck, you can just leave a battery in the sun and it'll juice up an insignificant amount. I wonder if I can figure out how to market THAT useless amount of power generation....
smile.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Uh oh. Now I'm wondering how they're going to tax sunshine. NY and CA are pretty equal in that respect.

So guess which ham just put a deposit on an apartment with low probability of having external antennas?
frown.gif
But it's out in the middle of nowhere, so a good place to try lights.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
External antennas are illegal here too. I just painted my 6' dualband stick the same color as my house and bolted it up to my chimeny. Nobody has noticed so far. Color match goes a long way to hide stuff. And nobody looks at the roof much anyway. Now if you're putting up one of those huge LW rigs.... yikes.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

it does seem a shame we can't get a single amp hour out of an entire lightning strike!..?
I know the AGM batteries can take a massive amount of current 'cause they don't gas, but where do I order the 1,000,000 / 12 volts mppt?
smile.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I hate to do this, but here's a back to reality thought: Using lightning for energy is actually a really weird, probably inefficient, form of wind power.

On the antennas, I'm hoping to create a Diamond X-50 American Flag.
grin.gif

Or I might just paint it 'air force low visibility blue', and hope nobody notices.

Darell

Flashaholic
I can see it now: Thousands of EVs running around trailing lightning rods above the roof. One hit, and it's like the JATO was fired.

Whooooosh!

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL (picturing Darell driving the "Back to the Future" car with the lighting rod).

So True Ted. Actually during a recent lightning storm I put my fluke meter on my solar panels and it would just up when the lightning flashed. I have yet to get any power even from a full moon though, I have heard people with really big arrays get an amp or two.