Maha C9000: can you setup all 4 slots at once?

viorel00

Enlightened
I just got a Maha C9000 form Thomas Distributing and I wonder if there is a quicker way to program it. It seems that I have to select the function (charge, discharge or refres, etc) for each slot, and then select the currents. Since I usually keep the cells in sets of 4, I don't need to program each slot individually, it would come in handy of there was an easier way to program all 4 slots at once.

I had a Lacrosse BC900 where you could do that, but after it melted (and was replaced under warranty), it sat unused for about a year or more before I sold it on eBay. I find that the Maha C9000 seems to be a better charger, although a little bigger and slightly more difficult to set up. On the other hand it does not melt (I hope) and you can check the charge in a cell (unlike the BC900 which started to charge the cell after discharge, and if you were not there to see when that happens, there was no way to see how much charge was in the cell)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, there is no way to program all slots at once. You just have to practice being nimble with your fingers.

This has to be number one on the wish list for new features: whenever you program a slot, make the next slot default to the settings you just used on the previous slot. I have no idea why Maha have not done this already. Perhaps it is because they think a 1000 mA charge is the safe option, and some people might get confused if the default for a slot changed based on your previous action. You would have to consciously read the display instead of working by muscle memory.

viorel00

Enlightened
Thanks, yes, it would make sense to do what you say, it would save a lot of time. Also, let me set a new default charging rate if I want to, maybe I am happy with 500 mA charging rather than 1A.

I know many people advocate charging at higher rates to ensure proper termination (and SilverFox is one of them, IIRC), but Sanyo make the eneloop charger (4 bay) at 300 mA, and the 2-bay quick charger at 550 mA, so those should also be OK IMHO. If I want to re-set the default charging current, please give me this option, Maha. Thanks

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, yes, it would make sense to do what you say, it would save a lot of time. Also, let me set a new default charging rate if I want to, maybe I am happy with 500 mA charging rather than 1A.
Well let me at least reassure you that there is no problem at all with the 1 A charging rate for AA cells. I use it all the time and never less. With Eneloops I will sometimes use a higher current up to 1.6 A, and this is fine too. The only reason I don't use 2 A is that the charger tends to get a little warm at this rate, but not enough to be a real problem.