Maha MH-C801D charger

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im looking to buy a charger for charging eneloop batteries. Did some browsing and found that the maha C9000 is very popular but i found that i would like the 8 charging bay of the C801D. Didn't see much review on the 801, is it any good?

Also, where can i get one with cheap shipping outside the US? Cheapest i found(ebay) cost almost $100 shipped to where i live. Suggestions?

Thanks.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im looking to buy a charger for charging eneloop batteries. Did some browsing and found that the maha C9000 is very popular but i found that i would like the 8 charging bay of the C801D. Didn't see much review on the 801, is it any good?

Also, where can i get one with cheap shipping outside the US? Cheapest i found(ebay) cost almost $100 shipped to where i live. Suggestions?

Thanks.

I had the C801D, then sold it to buy a C9000, then later added a C808M to my collection

To me, the 801 is lower on the value list. I run a good deal of cells (34 Eneloops total) and have one spare set for each use. I burn about 8 AA's/night. While the 801 was good when I started out, I began wanting to know more about my cells. I wanted to be able to monitor how much I may have hurt them by letting them reverse charge. I wanted to be able to do some break-in cycles and watch the capacity change. I also wanted to be able to match them up in groups of similar capacity cells. I couldn't do those things with the 801. Once I picked up the C9000 all those problems were solved. I really was glad to have the control over the charger. I could pick my charge rate or discharge cells. I could see my capacity, charging, and resting voltages. I would've never went back to the 801D.

Later I started using NiMH D cells and decided the 808M was the best option, giving me 8 bays and the ability to charge D's rather quickly. I use the 9000 for some of my AA's, while I use the 808 for the AA's in my TK41 (8 at once) and for my D's. Fully using 8 cells in a night, I still didn't NEED 8 bays and was happy with the C9000, but the 808 was exactly what I needed for the D's, so why not?

The 801 seemed decent for the short period of time that I had it. The display wasn't very good. It was dim and hard to read, as opposed to the C9000 which has an excellent, bright display. All of my Maha chargers have been silent and functioned well, but the 801 lacked the bells and whistles. If I could only have one, the 801 or the C9000, I'd take the C9000 in a heartbeat. It'll charge 4 fast enough to keep up. I can charge at ANY speed I want, rather than select from low or high. Even using a lot of cells, the C9000 kept up with me. If I had to chose between the 801 and 808, again, I would not take the 801. I would rather be able to charge the D's. You may find yourself needing this later on in life. While it's much larger and takes up more space, it's worth it to be able to charge different batteries.

If you feel the 801 is perfect for your needs, I don't have any complaints about it aside from the dim display and lack of FUNctions. It was just a bit boring. I personally suggest the C9000 if you think it may work for your application. It's so much better. If you're going to spend the money, it's good to be able to get the most out of your batteries and charger. If you think you may EVER buy NiMH D cells (think - TK70 or modded Mag) I'd say go with the 808M. Any of those 3 chargers should work just as advertised. The beautiful part about getting the 808M is that you will be ready for D's. One day, you may see a light you want but avoid it because it uses the D cells (light + cells + charger) which cost too much to get into. If you already have a capable charger, you're less likely to have to pass up a light you desire or need.

As far as cheap and cheap shipping, sorry, no suggestions there. Good luck!!

Last edited:

rewdee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. You made a point and i am leaning more toward the 9000 now. Will read up more.

Thanks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input. You made a point and i am leaning more toward the 9000 now. Will read up more.

Thanks.

It is a very subjective think which charger you want. I have both the 801 and the 9000, most of the time I uses the 801, it is easy to use and I often have 8 batteries to charge, but if I have any doubt with a battery it gets a test in the 9000.
I do agree with fiberguy about the display, why did they not put some light behind it!

USSR

Newly Enlightened
maha mhc801d is an intelligent charger and there are many other cheap and reliable alternatives as well... in Asia UiRoss of french is very famous and there 4 cell intelligant charger is for i think 15 us dollar in pakistan here.. so thats awesome .. also the charger uses either dv or -dv or dT for determining the end of charge some use hybrid and other exotic methods or combinations.. give ur situation i would buy that charger.. u can give it a shot..

for refrence i am addind linke
http://gpsmurah.itrademarket.com/2999961/uniross-1-hour-lcd-charger-4x-aa-battery.htm

hope it will be available locally over there..

if u want it 801d then let me know ..

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
It is a very subjective think which charger you want. I have both the 801 and the 9000, most of the time I uses the 801, it is easy to use and I often have 8 batteries to charge, but if I have any doubt with a battery it gets a test in the 9000.
I do agree with fiberguy about the display, why did they not put some light behind it!

I agree completely. I have to be honest, I expected a lot of other people to chime in with some opinions here. Had I known this would get less replies, I would've been a lot less biased.

There are a lot of considerations. For example, will your charger be nearby and handy? Mine is right next to me all night. A C9000 can work in this scenario because swapping cells isn't a big deal. If it were not conveniently close, I could see where the 801 would be more handy.

Still I stand behind my opinions for my personal preference. In considering the "later down the road" aspect, the 801 is the most limited charger. It charges up to 8 AA or AAA Eneloops very well. Outside of that, the options are pretty limited with this charger. You're bypassing the ability to really get an in-depth look at your cells through your charger and you're forfeiting the ability to charge C and D cells.

Ultimately you have to weigh out what is best and most important for you. Also as a side note, I assume a lot of people with an 801 and a 9000 only use the 9000 for testing purposes (primarily anyway). Aside from the 8 bays vs. 4 bays, the C9000 is a very capable regular use charger. Definitely one of the most popular ones here on the forum. I think people tend to keep it as a separate troubleshooting tool when they have a dedicated "charger." I find myself doing this with my 808 and 9000 these days. That doesn't make the C9000 inferior as a stand alone charger.

I was happy with the functioning of the 801 and it is a fine charger, it's just the least versatile of the line-up in my opinion. If all you want and need will ever be an Eneloop charger, this will be the one for you.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just purchased one of these. I have a BC-700, but wanted to charge more at the same time and also something higher than the 700mA max.

I'll probably use 1A rate most of the time, but it's nice to have a 2A option.

I almost purchased a MH-C9000 to use in addition to my BC700, but the 700mA max still bothers me. If I had to do it all over again, I think two C9000s would be a nice setup.

markr6

Flashaholic
It arrived! I love this charger!! I can see my BC-700 getting very little use in the future. I'll miss not seeing the mAh added, but not a necessity. I rarely use the other features of the BC-700 (test, refresh, etc).

1A charge rate, perfect! 2A if I'm in a hurry, even better! My BC-700 never charged Eneloop XX cells properly, but I just finished charging 4 of them at 2A with no problem. Could hardly detect any heat on the cells or charger (just a little on the AC adapter)

Also purchased an 8-pack of 4th gen Eneloops.

801D.jpg

After using this a few times now, I haven't even noticed any heat on Eneloops or Eneloop XX, even at 2A.

Last edited: