Major repairs to The LED Museum & affiliated

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Attention flashlight junkies...

As some of you may have been noticing, my website has been experiencing some rather bizarre technical difficulties over the last several weeks, mostly related to photographs, web pages, and other objects mysteriously vanishing without apparent rhyme or reason.
mad.gif

I have hopefully found that reason, but the repair entails rewriting all 120+ pages of HTML on that site, and moving 440+ pictures (and their image links) to a new folder on my server.

Although I believe this will stop the vanishing pages, many of the images I have linked on this forum will no doubt come up "broken" now. I will do my best to hunt down each occurance and insert the corrective code, so please be patient.

Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Jeese, sounds like a nightmare...good luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right - it's a real nightmare.
Makes me wonder if someone has put up a control spire in my part of the digital world.
mad.gif

The more likely culprit though, is a UNIX OS limitation on the part of my webserver, and my website growing too big for its britches and breaking through that barrier.

I found the "search and replace" feature in QEDIT (a DOS program!) to be quite handy for fixing all those pages in only an hour or two. Now it's just a matter of flushing the queue and loading every single page of my site, noting where broken objects are found, and locating replacements for them.

When I said I wanted vanish, I meant the kind that goes in the toilet bowl, not the kind that makes web sites give 404 errors and broken images!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how are things coming along with the website problems Craig? It seems to be looking better.

-Peter Gransee

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
So how are things coming along with the website problems Craig? It seems to be looking better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's more stable now.
I haven't seen any new disappearances anyway.
There are still a few hosed pages & images, but they were that way before I rewrote the site and they'll have to be redone anyway.
I'm quickly coming up on the 10MB limit, so I'll be linking out newer stuff on a second server fairly soon. That will complicate things a bit on my end, but anyone who visits the site shouldn't notice a thing.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Telephony, best wishes for the site, hope you get an run of good luck soon.
I've sent you an e-mail about a maybe / possibly useful power supply I have spare, and could let you have.

lite-lover
smile.gif

Ps - Re: your profile photo - Have you considered that your awesome T-shirt might have CAUSED the Seattle earthquake ?
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Latest posts