Makai XM-L or XP-G?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering picking up a Makai as my thrower and I can't decide which emitter to go for. Does the XP-G version throw noticeably better than the XM-L version?

I plan to eventually get it modded with a new driver so choosing the "right" emitter now will ultimately decide what drive levels I will go with later on.

Any advice from anyone that has had experience with both emitters in the Makai is greatly appreciated

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I thought, the wider beam of the XM-L might seem like it's not throwing as far. But in reality, does the light on both emitters go as far in the Makai's big reflector?

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just not sure whether the surface brightness of the XPG is higher than the XML...if it is...then the XPG will throw farther in the same reflector.

I think this is the theory at work here.

obi

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to datiled and he is going to see if he can make a 2.8a driver for the Makai :D if that works I'm going with an XM-L or XM-L2 for sure!
If the driver doesn't work out and can't be driven that hard, then I will have tough time deciding between XP-G or XM-L....

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kuan. Can the Makai expel the heat fast enough on a 2.8amps setup?

I think heat dissipation and practicality of minimal lumens difference and efficiency gain is the reason why Don only offers 1.0a high driver and no longer the 1.2a driver.

2.8a sounds crazy but awesome! :)

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Ryan,

I'm fortunate to own both versions and its a win win with either one:).The XPG version has a well defined hotspot and the beam its "tighter" with the XML the sidespill its a lot brigther and the hotspot is bigger,both lights are the 6V version.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason I want to see if I can get 2.8a driver for the makai because that makes it very similar to Mac's lights. Most of my usage will be low and medium, so I want the extra craziness on high:)

I don't recall seeing lux numbers comparing the xpg and xml versions of the Makai, if there are any numbers comparing these 2, please point me in the right direction.

Light11, can you tell by eye which version throws farther? I know the narrower beam of the xpg can make it seem to throw farther, but does it actually out throw the xml when you compare them outdoors?

Last edited:

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Yes, the XPG out throws the XML but not by much.I compared them side by side on the fog and the smaller emitter is the better thrower but the XML is not to far behind:)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there a run time difference between the two or is the current constant
Runtime between 3V and 6V or runtime between XM-L and XP-G. Take note that the XP-G is no longer offered in any variant.
Between 2 different emitters, the runtime is almost the same though empirical calculations will give you a small difference as Don does have a small variation in drive current. Something like 50-100mA difference. This is what I gathered from reading the various threads. More so with the Haiku. The max drive on a Makai LE is higher than say a Haiku for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

DTF

Enlightened
Looking at Don's availablity threads, the Makai is out of stock. Has this changed?

DTF

Enlightened

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see how it can appear to be out of stock. Don probably forgotten to update that thread. At one stage, he was out of the 2x123 pak and more recently the Makai head. But since that posting, he is back on track.

DTF

Enlightened
On my last order, I decided to try one of the "AA" paks. Don had to ask, do you mean the 1xAA or 2xAA pak? What? There's a 1xAA pak available?!!!! The wave thread for the 1xAA pak wasn't made sticky. It's sticky now.