Make a 3496 amber? Or use 2357A?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on using those lamps in your pictures, degrease and clean them really well, and then hit the reflectors with some rattle can chrome spray paint. That ghostly grey-white plastic isn't going to do your lighting any favors. Or maybe just get new lamps.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Will do, that's a great idea thanks; I have half a rattle can of chrome spray paint kicking around doing nothing.

I'd get aftermarket lenses/lamps if they had the Pentastar logo on them.

I do have NOS lamps/lenses somewhere, but it may be more fun to chrome these, and try out one of the mind boggling amber converting options that Stern outlined to me a little while back.

I was halfway tempted to Dremel a groove and use a length of o-ring for a seal, but I suppose I'll just use some sort of clear sealant/adhesive when I put the lenses back on.

By the way - the plastic lenses have some slight paint overspray - I'm assuming paint thinner or MEK wouldn't be too good for removing the spots of overspray ?

If you plan on using those lamps in your pictures, degrease and clean them really well, and then hit the reflectors with some rattle can chrome spray paint. That ghostly grey-white plastic isn't going to do your lighting any favors. Or maybe just get new lamps.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was halfway tempted to Dremel a groove and use a length of o-ring for a seal, but I suppose I'll just use some sort of clear sealant/adhesive when I put the lenses back on.
Windshield butyl might be a good pick.

By the way - the plastic lenses have some slight paint overspray - I'm assuming paint thinner or MEK wouldn't be too good for removing the spots of overspray ?
Maybe Goo Gone or something like that (test in an inconspicuous area). It might also just easily polish off. There's also oven cleaner, which, again, test in an inconspicuous area.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I agree with Alaric, those reflectors need to be improved. Chrome paint is generally a reliable choice, though it's not the only one. Ceiling-white paint (specifically) is also an excellent pick; it is very highly reflective of visible light and can help combat the tendency of some "chromy" reflectors to pick up too much sunlight. Some lamps also look better with white rather than chromelike reflectors -- less like they're dirty inside.

As I look at these photos, I find myself tempted to grab a ruler and compare the available space to the dimensions of standard bus-truck-trailer 2" x 6" oval lights and if you have the space, pick out the brightest available ones and graft them in.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Goo Gone - check.

Windshield urethane - check.

Windshield butyl might be a good pick.

Maybe Goo Gone or something like that (test in an inconspicuous area). It might also just easily polish off. There's also oven cleaner, which, again, test in an inconspicuous area.

Ceiling white paint as in gallon pre-mixes, judiciously applied with a spray gun?

I do have a link for grafted in/adhesived amber LEDz - https://petersonlightsandharnesses....signal-parking-combination-assembly-front-13/

I agree with Alaric, those reflectors need to be improved. Chrome paint is generally a reliable choice, though it's not the only one. Ceiling-white paint (specifically) is also an excellent pick; it is very highly reflective of visible light and can help combat the tendency of some "chromy" reflectors to pick up too much sunlight. Some lamps also look better with white rather than chromelike reflectors -- less like they're dirty inside.

As I look at these photos, I find myself tempted to grab a ruler and compare the available space to the dimensions of standard bus-truck-trailer 2" x 6" oval lights and if you have the space, pick out the brightest available ones and graft them in.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Alaric & Virgil - I appreciate the plethora of tips.

God knows I've harassed poor Stern these past few years.

He must be pulling his hair out.

Well, figuratively ;-)

Ofelas

Enlightened
I do have a pint can of "self leveling" Dulux appliance white & brushes.
Acceptable?
Or buy ceiling white, or use my chrome spray can?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Ceiling white, specifically. It is specially designed/formulated to be maximally reflective. Makes other whites look dirty/dim in a side-by-side viewing.

As far as the choice between ceiling white and chrome...hard to say. Some lamps work better with one, some with the other. From what you're showing us here in the picture, I think my first attempt would be with the ceiling white.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, you should be able to get by without quite needing the 5 gallon (I mean 18.9-liter) bucket of it, and you don't need the "goes on pink/dries white" stuff, but the generic one looks a little sketchy, so I would go for this. One can ought to be enough for every turn signal you and your descendents might ever own.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Hahaha yes, a gallon should suffice, thx for the pro tip :)
Will pick it up in a couple hours; I did set aside a couple fine brushes & foam brushes yesterday.