Malkoff Bodyguard

Blues

Enlightened
I ordered the head on Tuesday 6/26, was supposed to be delivered by end of day Thursday - but I'm still waiting. The head was shipped immediately from Malkoff via Priority Mail and USPS moved it from AL to NH (to a distribution center within 12 miles of my house) in 32 hours. But over the last few days it's been bouncing around post office to post office, and as of this moment still not at the one that actually delivers my mail.

Once again, the U.S. Postal Service demonstrates why it sucks so bad....

Au contraire mon frère. It's part of the USPS tactical delivery system. It has to go through various otherwise unsuspected (and undisclosed) locales before it can be safely delivered to your mailbox.

(Shhh, the enemy is everywhere. 'Nuff said, word to the wise and all that.)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of tools built for a specific purpose. They tend to be more predictable in use and have fewer annoying add on features that only exist because the marketing department requested them.

-flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of tools built for a specific purpose. They tend to be more predictable in use and have fewer annoying add on features that only exist because the marketing department requested them.

-flatline

That's a very good point. I hadn't articulated it, but I've been unconsciously acquiring things with this in mind. A Leatherman Surge, for example, is a fine tool but it can't replace a proper set of wrenches. So it is with lights. I'd rather have one specialty light for each thing than one light that tries to do everything.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

-flatline
That's the best explanation for me buying what I do, that I've never thought of before.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Being flashaholics helps too.

When I was helping my son rebuild an engine I used to think during the install "if only" about wrenches. Then one day at a hardware store I found a 1/4 drive ratchet with a little wheel on the side for twisting a socket in a hard to reach location. My son asked "what's that one for?" I responded "I don't know but someday it'll be handy".

I have several flashlights like that and someday a BodyGuard will be among them. I'll wait for somebody to buy one for dog walking and sell it later.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff MDC TAC 1x123 but was thinking of going to a single output Malkoff. The Bodyguard may be the "ONE". :) `I carry daily use lights, and the Malkoff is my "emergency" light.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Bodyguard head is here, installed on Malkoff MDC 2-CR123 body and using a 16650 Li-ion protected cell;

bodyguard-1.jpg

Initial Impressions

As is always the case with Malkoff products, it exudes quality. The electronics are fully potted directly into the bezel, no circuitry visible.

The hot spot is considerably wider than the M61T, with perhaps slightly less lux (throw) - but it is very close.

Compared to the M361 LMH drop-in on maximum (400 lumens), the Bodyguard is much brighter (no comparison, really).

Odd behavior: when activating the light, there is a micro-second of reduced output before snapping into max output. It is extremely quick, but noticeable - almost like a fast strobe.

Step-down to 150 lumen mode is sharp and instant. I timed it at around 8.5 seconds.

The output is noticeably higher on a pair of CR123 batteries.

Size Comparison Photo

Left to right: MDC -1-CR123 body with VME head, Bodyguard head/2-CR123 body in center, Wildcat v.6/MD2 with Tricap combo on the left;

bodyguard-2.jpg

The MDC/VME combo weighs 4.0 ounces with an IMR 16340 cell, as does the Bodyguard/2-CR123 body combo with a 16650 cell. Wildcat/MD2 combo weighs 6.4 ounces with a pair of IMR 16350 cells.

The Bodyguard/2-CR123 body combo rides very comfortably clipped in a front pocket.

I will spend some time tonight outside getting a better look at its beam characteristics compared to the other lights. So far I'm liking it!

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Does the head have markings that distinguish it from a standard 3v-6v MDC head?

Negative. Based on the beam pattern and output, it seems like an E2 Super/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head that has been programmed to step down.

Funny thing is I was very tempted to get the Super Scout head but was concerned about the inability to reduce its output. I longed for a high-low bezel switch for the MDC, but the Bodyguard seems like an even better solution. Additionally based on some time in a dark basement, the Bodyguard's 150 lumen low setting in combination with the wider hot spot is FAR more useable than the M61T on low, even running at 8.4 volts. I'll be able to further evaluate that tonight outside.

So far I'm very much liking what I'm seeing....

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I received my Bodyguard today. I bought the whole set up. I use 2 cell lights at work, but when I am off work I usually carry a single cell light, or sometimes two lights. The Bodyguard is exactly what it says in the description, as far as I can tell. Very nice little light for my needs. I did remove the "combat ring." I prefer the light without it because it clips on and off the pocket much smoother without the ring.

After experimenting more with light/pistol combination, I put the "combat ring" back on. It is a little harder clipping on and off the pocket, but using the ring allows it to be lined up perfectly with my knuckle and where a mounted light would go, allowing an excellent grip.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Just got off Malkoff site and the Bodyguard, complete single cell units, are already sold out.. Heads are still available.. Must of been more than you two CPF customers who jumped on them fast?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Some quick comparisons and observations outside in the dark;

Vs. the M61T on a MD3 body with a pair of 18500 cells, the Bodyguard has a much broader hot spot but gives up very little in throw. Overall it's easy to see the higher lumen rating of the Bodyguard.

Vs. the M61T on a MD2 body with a 18650 cell, the throw appears identical but the overall light output of the Bodyguard is far greater.

Based on the 12,000 lux rating of the M61T, it appears to me that the Bodyguard is a variation of the E2 Super/Scout M600 High Output head, which is rated at 700 lumens/12,000 lux. I don't know if that is actually the case but it seems a valid comparison.

Stepped down to 150 lumens, the beam is far more useful than the M61T/MD3 combo on low and than the M361 LMH drop-in on medium (80 lumens). Compared to an older Surefire 6PX (200 lumen version), the Bodyguard has a much broader hot spot but does not throw as far as the more focused beam of the 6PX. Of course on high the Bodyguard blows the old 6PX out of the water on all counts.

The Bodyguard head on a 2-CR123 body running on a KeepPower 16650 2500mah protected cell is a potent and useful light to have in the pocket. Though I would prefer the ability to change output level on demand for a general purpose light, the UI of the Bodyguard is perfectly suited for the intended application. For me it fills the role of a defensive-use light (either alone or in conjunction with a pistol) extremely well. I certainly plan on giving it a workout at an upcoming Low Light Pistol Operator course I will be attending next month at the Sig Sauer Academy here in NH.​

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So does it do full blast during half press but the roughly 90% when you click it?
If you hold momentary does it drop to the lowest output?
Just trying to wrap my mind around the X momentary, Y for 10 seconds and Z after that....

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Mine will step down whether I click all the way or half press it. I time it happening between 8-9 seconds. Maybe my senses aren't good enough, but I can't even notice the 600 momentary to the 550. I have the IMR in it.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
So momentary is utilized for flash 'n dash technique. Click on you got 8-9 secs then she shifts down lumens. While on low can you gas pedal back to high beam, or need to click off/on to get back on high?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Once it shifts down it has to be reactivated even if you are at half press, you have to let off it and half press it again to come on in high. "[FONT=&quot]Each time the switch is activated, the countdown timer is reset." (from website).
I think the 150 lumens is a useful amount of light for a lot of things. [/FONT]

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The mechanical switch won't differentiate between half and full presses. It only recognizes off/on.

Correct! The switch held in momentary or clicked on makes no difference: the light activates on maximum output and then 8 to 9 seconds later switches to low (150 lumen) mode. As stated before, the switch to low is instantaneous, not a gradual roll-off: think of the switch from high-beam to low-beam in your car.

With a Li-ion cell, the roll-off from 600 lumens to 550 in the first 8 to 9 seconds is imperceptible. Try as I might, I have yet to actually see it - it's almost as if it starts at 600 and then over the 8 to 9 seconds, drops to 550 before it switches to low. Someone with the necessary gear would have to measure and confirm. Once it drops to low it stays there until the switch is released. To get back to high, "blip" the switch as fast as you humanly can and it's back at maximum with the timer cycle reset.

No runtime testing yet but it seems more than adequate on a 16650 2500mah cell. An educated guess is 45 to 60 minutes used exclusively on high and 6+ hours run exclusively on low (if you consider 150 lumens "low"). Figure about 1/3 of that using a 16340 cell in the 1-CR123 body.

I'm keeping mine. ;-)

Last edited: