BG V2 step down
lZkedXk.jpg

HD 18650 CW 31kcd
EbcOfj4.jpg

HD 18650 CW low
LU1HyCU.jpg

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I think I may upgrade my Bodyguard v.1 with a v.2 head. 1,000 lumens/13,000 lux in a 1-CR123 format? Hell yeah!

I cant speak for the v1 but the v2's head threads arent anodized so you cant lock it out with a slight head twist if that concerns you. Edit unless the v1 body's threads are anodized (which i dont have) then it can be locked out.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all the newer MDC series heads (internal threads) are Not anodized. I also prefer the plated threads for safety lock out. Ano threads also stay clean from tarnish

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I cant speak for the v1 but the v2's head threads arent anodized so you cant lock it out with a slight head twist if that concerns you. Edit unless the v1 body's threads are anodized (which i dont have) then it can be locked out.

IMO, "locking out" a light that might be needed immediately on one-hand demand is a non-starter, so the inability to do so is a non-issue for me.

But what I have done is modified the McClicky on my BG v.1 to be momentary only - this not only serves the self-defense role better but also avoids the light staying on due to accidental activation.

Here's the bg v2 vs hd 18650 cw...

The HD 18650 kicks butt!

The BG v.2 head on the v.1 shroudless 1-CR123 body would be an amazing combination. With the v.1 head I am able to get 22 minutes of full power activation on a single 16340 700mAh cell, so assuming a 50% increase in current draw, that would be about 15 minutes with the v.2 head, or over 80 full power, 10-second activations. For a light I depend on solely for self-defensive purposes (flash 'n dash), that is for my purposes plenty of "runtime" considering the output and form factor.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all the newer MDC series heads (internal threads) are Not anodized. I also prefer the plated threads for safety lock out. Ano threads also stay clean from tarnish

Yeah, I read somewhere that Gene has moved the whole MDC line to bare aluminum threads in order to resolve contact issues. The old style worked perfectly, of course, but some people thought their lights were broken when they really just needed to tighten the head down.

pomah

Newly Enlightened
But what I have done is modified the McClicky on my BG v.1 to be momentary only - this not only serves the self-defense role better but also avoids the light staying on due to accidental activation.

How did you do that?

Jose, thanks for the beamshot with the lantern hound dog 18650.

These new lanterns with lens get a good hotspot with a generous spill.

It is no wonder that several new Surefire models are being launched with that type of lens.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is awesome!! Thank you for trying it out. The Kroma heads should work on it as well in that case.

No prob im gona try to do beamshots tonight up against some other malkoffs

So removing the adapter from the body you can screw on a surefire u2 head and run 2x18350s which was a cool surprise. I thought there were other old surefires that have the same head threads as the u2 if anyone knows?
P1hCVEC.jpg