Malkoff Bodyguard

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually there is a difference between a true "tactical" light and one intended for more utilitarian purposes. To your point though, some lights labeled as "tactical" actually aren't.

The primary consideration for a tactical light is that it must - without fail - activate on maximum output every time. Programmable lights are prone to becoming deprogrammed; lights that require multiple pushes of the switch are obviously a non-starter; the Malkoff bezel switch could become loosened during carry and result in the light activating on reduced output at the next push of the switch; even the two-stage "gas pedal" switch used on some newer Surefire lights could also prevent the quick deployment of maximum output if the tail cap backs off enough.

Most of the time, a tactical light needs to be deployed quickly and with a single hand.

With that requirement, a single output light with no high-low switch (or the ability to be programmed/deprogrammed) is the usual choice for this application. However, the ability to have reduced output for extended runtime and for situations where retina-burning output is not required is where the Bodyguard shines: it will always without fail activate on maximum output and there's nothing to prevent the light from doing so ​short of a depleted battery. At the same time, leave the light activated for more than 10 seconds and the reduced output mode is available if needed.

The Malkoff Bodyguard's UI is intended solely for this application and in that regard, may now be the best available.

Not only that, but a close to depleted battery can still probably muster much of the initial surge of capacity needed for that first burst... the light is purpose built to simulate a light that can only maintain full brightness for a few seconds, and only takes issued batteries...
It's kinda genius really.

Edited, I see now that it's been updated with an 18650/ 2x CR123 -battery tube, pretty cool.
Now a further elaboration would be to make some kind of fail safe option where someone could go to a bit of trouble and make it come on in a utility mode that would run for days, but which would be impossible to accidentally activate, and did not reduce the reliability or dead simple operation of the light...
For when the body guard is stuck in an unpowered subway tunnel for three days, of course.

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened
^^^^^I think once you begin messing with the original design and intent of the light, you no longer want the Bodyguard, whether the first or second version.

The fact that it will last 10 hours or more in "low" mode, (according to one youtube tester), makes the 18650 version a great option for virtually all intended use, including as an impact device when necessary.

I'd be loathe to fool with the electronics of a light I was carrying as life insurance and that is what the Bodyguard is designed to be.

YMMV.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say yes. The Orange 18650 body is E series and so is the Bodyguard head.
Sadly, it looks like everything Bodyguard related is sold out.
I think that's what I would do to differentiate the BG from a regular one.
Nothing worse than switching on a 325Lm light and finding out it's a 1000Lm one.
Well, there are worse things, but you know what I mean.
P

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, Mr Yeti.

I would say yes. The Orange 18650 body is E series and so is the Bodyguard head.
Sadly, it looks like everything Bodyguard related is sold out.
I think that's what I would do to differentiate the BG from a regular one.
Nothing worse than switching on a 325Lm light and finding out it's a 1000Lm one.
Well, there are worse things, but you know what I mean.
P

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
I've been carrying my bodyguard v2 on a AA body on a daily basis. The AA body is my favorite and its been great with keeppower 1000mah 14500's.

I was wondering what the draw is after the step down, I contacted Malkoff but haven't received a reply yet.

T76tO7t.jpg

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the MDC Bodyguard Grip Ring will fit on a body with the VME head? Pictures would be awesome if anyone has any. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the MDC Bodyguard Grip Ring will fit on a body with the VME head? Pictures would be awesome if anyone has any. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

I'd also love to know/see this as I currently have one in my cart waiting to do this exact setup

The combat ring does not work together with the VME head.

To make the assembly work it i tried to lengthen the springs or use a spacer.
Unfortunately that did not work.

What worked was to use a ring inside the vme head.

I used a ready-made product from oveready (e2c spring metal), but something can be done at home to get the same result.

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/beryllium-copper-spring-washer/

The set looks beautiful.

eId5BAP.jpg

cYrj1gp.jpg

5Ohoi2F.jpg

alZyKqL.jpg

Last edited:

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
The combat ring does not work together with the VME head.

To make the assembly work it is necessary to lengthen the springs or use a spacer.

The set looks beautiful.

eId5BAP.jpg

cYrj1gp.jpg

what was done on this light?

spacer or lengthened spring?

as i agree this is quite a beaut

Hi, I edited the post telling the secret to make head vme work with the combat ring on host bodyguard v1.

I used the oveready metal spring.

It works perfectly.

Latest posts