Malkoff Devices - I am a Convert...

wweiss

Enlightened
I always wondered why a certain vocal "sect" in these Forums went on and on about 'Malkoff' this and 'Malkoff' that. Malkoff junkies were everywhere, popping up and frothing drool about "drop-ins" and "drop-outs", "Hound Dogs" and M61's and such.

Well, things have changed. My mind has changed. In the last 3 weeks, I was lucky enough to cash in some gift cards and loose sofa change and acquire some Malkoff - an MD4 body and two heads, a Wildcat V6 90CRI and a Hound Dog neutral XL-M. Ironically, I use the floody Wildcat for dog walking and the long throw Hound Dog for Wildcat spotting…. Now I know that what the Forum cult leaders have been saying is true - this maker and these heads are in a class by themselves and make the rest of the flashlight universe look small and mean and petty.

Malkoff Devices know exactly what they are doing. The Wildcat HI CRI head is beyond expectations as the quality of the light is perfect and the floody beam spread and intensity is balanced so well you just don't want to come in out of a cold dark night. The dog makes me go back inside. This head alone makes my other lights (except perhaps for the Alpha Ready-Made) pale in comparison as to quality and function. The Hound Dog head is so throwy, punchy, powerful, clean and color corrected that it has become the best thing I own for distance. Serious distance. I can carry the extra head and use the same MD4 body for either, so there's that. Hi or low with a slight turn of the head - simple. On or off or momentary. No flash, no strobe, no beacon, no useless modes. On, off, HI, LO. Perfect beams and color. Waterproof to what, about 10'+? Solid as a bar of steel.

I am converted.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Welcome. I have invested heavily in Malkoff gear these last five months or so and honestly don't understand how I was never aware of them. Super nice folks to deal with who make a tremendous line of flashlights, accessories, and drop-ins.

wweiss

Enlightened
Thank you for the Cult welcome.
Please send a PDF of the secret handshake? I want to practice it. Is it something I can do in public - or, better done behind a door?
And yes you are right, another MD4 and an MD2 body as well. I want to run these heads on 18350's, too. Oh, and a Tricap and a crenelated bezel and a..........
Malkoff makes me think I am a 'modder'...

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Thank you for the Cult welcome.
Please send a PDF of the secret handshake? I want to practice it. Is it something I can do in public - or, better done behind a door?
And yes you are right, another MD4 and an MD2 body as well. I want to run these heads on 18350's, too. Oh, and a Tricap and a crenelated bezel and a..........
Malkoff makes me think I am a 'modder'...

Our job here is done. Another has been brought to the light side.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If I have one complaint about Malkoff products it is this. They are to pretty. To good looking. To nice. I like to use my lights and it kills me sometimes to take them out into the wild or work.i though I had solved this dilemma by taking the light I want to use and letting my 3 year old play with it for a bit to break it in.Ya didn't work. Not only was it still brand new at end of the day without a mark on it but! I had to wait for her to pass out to get my MD2 away from her sticky little hands 😄

Nimitz68

Enlightened
You may want to offer your daughter's QC service to members.:laughing: I know what you mean. Some of the nicest and smoothest anodizing I have seen.

wweiss

Enlightened
Seriously, I must have come into the 'light' - I have now little to no interest in the Chinese stuff I have. Seems I no longer crave any new Lumen tube that comes out and regard my Malkoff and Prometheus stuff as the only true light. Both may in USA, too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene Malkoff out did the Maglite when he entered the flashlight world.

Instead of a cookie cutter factory that spits out a whole bunch of lights each day his are made one at a time.

Perhaps the best part is in addition to the turn key option one can have one made to order without undue delay.

I cite Maglite instead of SureFire because Maglite began as a light for police and fireman and so did the Malkoff. SureFire was aimed at military applications from the outset.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the best part is ...one can have one made to order without undue delay....

:twothumbs

As much as I love another certain USA based manufacturer, this cannot be said of them. Gene Malkoff, despite leading a company not much larger than the other said manufacturer, has figured out how to keep things in stock. Malkoff also does not punish customers with a steep price penalty for buying spare and/or modular parts. It's a little bit cheaper to buy a complete light from Malkoff than to purchase parts individually, but it's within reason. Gene also offers coupons and promotional discounts from time to time.

wweiss

Enlightened
:twothumbs

As much as I love another certain USA based manufacturer, this cannot be said of them. Gene Malkoff, despite leading a company not much larger than the other said manufacturer, has figured out how to keep things in stock. Malkoff also does not punish customers with a steep price penalty for buying spare and/or modular parts. It's a little bit cheaper to buy a complete light from Malkoff than to purchase parts individually, but it's within reason. Gene also offers coupons and promotional discounts from time to time.

Ouch... Don't mess with the 'Sect'...

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I been a Malkoff convert for over three years now. Proud owner of a MD2 I keep in my flightbag and a M61LL in a 6P host. Don't hold your breath on that hand shake tho, I'm still waiting.

wweiss

Enlightened
From the likes of the characters in this Malkoff 'Sect', I agree with you - not holding my breath there...

I've developed my own 'secret handshake', which is a modification of one I created when I was thirteen...