Malkoff Devices RED, AMBER, or GREEN M61 LL Dropin Group Buy!

Output level desired for Red M61 dropin- pick ONLY if you'd back out at other outputs

• M61 (regular/ full output)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • ONLY M61 (regular/ full output)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M61 L

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • ONLY M61 L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M61 LL

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • ONLY M61 LL

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

dotCPF

CPF Supporter
Hello Everyone!
I am SO sorry for the delay. shortly after my last post I encountered some medical issues that required attention that I could not split here. Fortunately is just requires some medication finagling at this stage, which is all apart of the fun.

I have received and will make note of all payments, PSM I know your address by heart at this point.

I will be doing the ACTUAL tickets PMs tonight. I didn't enjoy the idea of trying to get that out while I was so occupied otherwise, Again, my most sincere apologies for the delay.

On the other hand... have not heard back from Gene yet, so now news there, however he should have the new emitters!

(also I am not dying, at least at a rate that is otherwise inconsistent from previous estimates)

Thank you all immensely for your patience (and of course participation!) I am SUPER excited to bring these to life.

PoliceScannerMan

Hope everything is good with your health Dot, man the hits keep coming. Personally I am in no huge rush, I know we will get these drop ins eventually. :)

PSM I know your address by heart at this point. (Man I LOLed! :D )

dotCPF

CPF Supporter
Dropins are fininshed!

V1 is 230mA draw, 50lm in-sphere

v2 is 70mA draw, 17lm in-sphere

We think true output for red is somewhere in the region of the 2-3x range. 70mA was about as low as we could go with the XP-G 660nm.

For some reason my payment won't go through while at work. I'll have to finish that up when I get home. Should have these to my door by I would guess Monday or Tuesday. Might get these to everyone by the weekend (remember, dot promise)

Tribull

Dropins are fininshed!

V1 is 230mA draw, 50lm in-sphere

v2 is 70mA draw, 17lm in-sphere

We think true output for red is somewhere in the region of the 2-3x range. 70mA was about as low as we could go with the XP-G 660nm.

For some reason my payment won't go through while at work. I'll have to finish that up when I get home. Should have these to my door by I would guess Monday or Tuesday. Might get these to everyone by the weekend (remember, dot promise)
I should know this after all this time but what will be the operating voltage on the V1 be up to 9V?

ampdude

CPF Supporter
According to the op's post from the Malkoff site it will handle 3.4-9V.

So what I'm reading now the V1 will be 50 lumens instead of 90? Will it go up and down depending on voltage? I would have preferred a little higher current on the V1 since it will be running off of lithium ions. What voltage is the 230mA draw at?

Tribull

So what I'm reading now the V1 will be 50 lumens instead of 90? Will it go up and down depending on voltage? I would have preferred a little higher current on the V1 since it will be running off of lithium ions. What voltage is the 230mA draw at?
Thanks for the info Ampdude.

dotCPF

CPF Supporter
WOW it has been a week. Dropins are on their way to me. I will post once they arrive. Sorry again for the delays, some parts life, some parts Paypal deciding to not let me pay?! It was very odd. But everything is paid, and I am officially going to make a separate payment account for GBs because never again.

I believe at 6V but that is bench power.

Someone who knows Elec engineering please chime in, woe is me to try and explain this but here I go. Basically all of the DR LEDs versions of our more familiar white emitter lines (XP-g3/ SST-20/ W2) do not have the same "voltage ranges" as the more familiar white counterparts. Basically it is likely driven at the same current as the M61L (as requested) BUT when it all gets to being "usable energy" for the LED, it ends up around 230mA draw. His process involves putting an LED on the bench/ board whatever, and driving it up and down the range of current draws to find suitable outputs according to what we asked.

50lm is perceptibly very slightly less than 90, and it is very likely greater than actual 90 lumens of red, light meters just can't read that. I'm sure if we had enough quantity, I'd be able to "fine tune" to a greater or lesser extent. I digress, as that is the nature of the beast of these, especially when dealing with other-than-standard-white emitters.

Sounds like we need a full power red run?

AS FOR THE RAFFLE

Pictures of the prizes attached! Please note, I did not have a G3 as I thought, instead we will have a G2Z blk in great shape and a G2Y that is in good shape, appears a bit faded perhaps that was a batch issue? We also have a Solarforce L2P with cren bezel shrouded cap- user but working just fine!

Number of tickets.... didn't really think about that but I don't think that will be an issue. These lights are easily purchased and buying enough chances for each wouldn't REALLY be smart. These 3 will only be for 1 person each, but if I draw a person multiple times I will include consolation prizes. Please remember the raison d'etre of this raffle- to try and 'even out' out the cost for the additional LEDs I have paid for, this is all outta my pocket, this could easily be $150 in lights.

PLEASE HOLD PAYMENTS UNTIL I SEND THE PM

I have not sent this yet because Paypal was being very weird with our money, and I did not want to add more to that pot. Existing payments will be counted and I will double check when I send PMs. I cannot guarantee you will get counted if you send payments prior to me prompting you to do so hence-forth.

I'm going to post this before I get too tired and try to revise it again!

Attachments

• 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 4

id30209

CPF Supporter
Someone who knows Elec engineering please chime in, woe is me to try and explain this but here I go. Basically all of the DR LEDs versions of our more familiar white emitter lines (XP-g3/ SST-20/ W2) do not have the same "voltage ranges" as the more familiar white counterparts. Basically it is likely driven at the same current as the M61L (as requested) BUT when it all gets to being "usable energy" for the LED, it ends up around 230mA draw. His process involves putting an LED on the bench/ board whatever, and driving it up and down the range of current draws to find suitable outputs according to what we asked.

50lm is perceptibly very slightly less than 90, and it is very likely greater than actual 90 lumens of red, light meters just can't read that. I'm sure if we had enough quantity, I'd be able to "fine tune" to a greater or lesser extent. I digress, as that is the nature of the beast of these, especially when dealing with other-than-standard-white emitters.

Sounds like we need a full power red run?

Well it looks like Gene is not using proper electronics/driver for these emitters.
RED and AMBER are 2.5V emitters and they need 2.5V buck driver to be safely run at almost 2.5A which is max Amps at their working voltage.
But if you run them at 3V like other white emitters then only 100-300mA is safe not to destroy them.
Hmmm…

dotCPF

CPF Supporter
Well it looks like Gene is not using proper electronics/driver for these emitters.
RED and AMBER are 2.5V emitters and they need 2.5V buck driver to be safely run at almost 2.5A which is max Amps at their working voltage.
But if you run them at 3V like other white emitters then only 100-300mA is safe not to destroy them.
Hmmm…
I could be muddling up the explanation completely. I think they are buck drivers? Geeze I just talked to him about this a few weeks back and it's already left my head!

ampdude

CPF Supporter
I was assuming from the beginning the proper buck driver would be used for a red LED. Would be good to know the answer to this.