Malkoff E2 battery compatibility

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
This is what I have in mind.

Malakoff E2 run by a single 16340 battery. I've seen some reports of success using IMR batteries which from what I have seen are all unprotected cells.

My question is could I use some higher discharge rate (3-4a) protected cobalt cells for this head?

If so, what kind of brightness and runtime should I expect? Much different that the IMR 16340?

Malakoff lists discharge at 800ma for 6v so I assume it would be 1.6a at 3v?

Please take it easy on a flashlight novice and thanks in advance for any help.

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
That looks like it would fill my needs nicely.

Thanks for directing me towards that data.

I like the added safety of protected cells but am open to unprotected IMR 16340 cells if this head would greatly benefit from it.

Would I be okay sticking with the protected rcr123s I already have or would switching to these IMR cells make enough of a difference to justify having the unprotected cells?

carrot

Flashaholic
If your protected cells can handle the amperage, then I wouldn't worry about switching to unprotected cells.

The main feature for unprotected cells with this engine would be not having it shut off "by surprise" when the batteries have gone low.

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
Carrot, thank you again for your helpful responses. The information you linked has been very helpful in making my decision to go ahead as planned.

Latest posts