Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Dicaeopolis

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
This little ring sure helps the HD 18650 stay in hand. Love the light, but it is a little top heavy. The ring just slips on and off and comes in different colors. Really is a nice addition for me.

Attachments

• 761D99A1-255F-4173-A22F-9C6CC845C0C1.jpg
    761D99A1-255F-4173-A22F-9C6CC845C0C1.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 50

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff advertise 6061 Aluminum, but by the looks of the road rash gash I'd say that flashlight heat treating (T6) is questionable. Unless you drove over it with a truck?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Malkoff advertise 6061 Aluminum, but by the looks of the road rash gash I'd say that flashlight heat treating (T6) is questionable. Unless you drove over it with a truck?
Aluminum is a very soft material in any alloy and heat treatment compared to steel, and steel is very easy to scratch when dropped on road or concrete, this is normal.

Dicaeopolis

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
That HD was in my cooler at work. The cooler tipped and the lid fell off. I thought I put everything back in, but left the HD on the floor. A guy ran it over with one of those big floor sweepers I think. I thought it was missing, but I asked around and found out one of the maintenance guys was using it. I told him that is my light, lol. I think he wanted to keep it. I was very happy to get it back. It was a long 24 hours.

Dicaeopolis

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
The damage on the HD is pretty much just the anodizing rubbed off. It is still fairly smooth. Here is my other work light, I carry more, drop more, etc. Was not run over by sweeper.

Attachments

• 16650.jpg
    16650.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 38

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know Hound Dog "18650" looks fabulous with the new 21mm body. The skinny 18mm body looks out of place with that head. But HD + 21mm is a marriage made in heaven.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The HD super looks pretty damn good with it as well! Doing a run test to see how’s she does.
124B1FA8-B74C-4015-93C5-73574E874CEC.jpeg

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Maybe this is impossible IDK, but what Id like Gene to make is a optional mechanical side switch for MDX lights, that is placed between the head and battery tube. Especially the Hound Dog & HD Super with MD4 body (and later 2x21700 tubes) a side switch would be a real ergonomic upgrade. IDK if it could be made in a way to simultaneously retain the function of the rear switch, otherwise sell it with a shorter, flat tailcap to go with it.

Think of a switch unit like in a Maglite, in a separate short tube with threads on both ends, front male end screwed into the head, rear with female threads for the battery tube. Has anyone else here ever wanted something like that?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Absolutely not. It makes it real hard to fine the switch when it’s on the body. Got to keep rolling it around in your hand till you find it. With a tail switch it’s a no brainer.

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Absolutely not. It makes it real hard to fine the switch when it’s on the body. Got to keep rolling it around in your hand till you find it. With a tail switch it’s a no brainer.
To find the switch on my MAG takes a split second and its still faster then using a rear switch because you dont have to change grip afterwards. Ergonomically its so much better for lights that size. Different strokes for different folks.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
That HD was in my cooler at work. The cooler tipped and the lid fell off. I thought I put everything back in, but left the HD on the floor. A guy ran it over with one of those big floor sweepers I think. I thought it was missing, but I asked around and found out one of the maintenance guys was using it. I told him that is my light, lol. I think he wanted to keep it. I was very happy to get it back. It was a long 24 hours.
If you ever want to see me go completely ghetto at work and lose my job, take my HD 18650. Go ahead.

I love seeing roughed up, well used Malkoffs. Glad you got it back!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So I was pretty impressed with the super on a single 21700.

MALKOFF HD SUPER ON 1X21700

Not full power but close

Runtime= 2 hours down to 400-500 lumens.

2 hours 35 minutes still 200 lumens. Very useful

3 hours still 100+ lumens

End test end voltage 2.9