Malkoff "Hound Dog"

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya the descriptions on the website isn't exactly on. The new wildcat listed for 7 volts minimum runs great a single lithium. Wish my V6 would.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont like that I cant use the light with only one hand. I always use my left hand to turn on/off after getting it out of the holster, otherwise I have to awkwardly twist it & potentially drop the light. You guys really dont mind that at all? I dont always have both hands available. I really want a clicky side switch, it would make the HD the perfect flashlight together with 2x21700. Just me i guess lol. Thers a reason why almost all lights with this form factor had side switches for decades, it works really well.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give old lights with a side switch a pass, like a couple of old maglites I have, but would never buy a new light with one. Really dislike them. Kind of like folding knives with nail slots for opening instead of a stud or a hole. I just won't use them.
Id be interested as to why you dislike them so much? Considering their ergonomic advantages. Im not advocating them for small 1xcell lights, but IMM for larger lights they just make the most sense. I wouldn't put on one my MD2. But its just a fact of human anatomy that you cannot use lights like the HD with one hand without it being a PIA. Just curious.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Id be interested as to why you dislike them so much? Considering their ergonomic advantages. Im not advocating them for small 1xcell lights, but IMM for larger lights they just make the most sense. I wouldn't put on one my MD2. But its just a fact of human anatomy that you cannot use lights like the HD with one hand without it being a PIA. Just curious.
It's the grip. Overhand grip is what feels natural for me in all things sports, shooting, games of skill, though underhand has its place like softball, bowling, etc whatever works for you is best.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the grip. Overhand grip is what feels natural for me in all things sports, shooting, games of skill, though underhand has its place like softball, bowling, etc whatever works for you is best.
I would have imagined that underhand is the grip most naturally fall into, pretty much all holsters for lights that size are head-up. I guess if thats your preference then thats fine, I just cant imagine doing that. I sometimes grip OH, but UH 90% of the time. OH is unnatural and straining for my wrist over long periods with big lights. I carry a MD2 or Fury or 6P OH, but not a HD or Maglite. I suppose everyone is different.

CHNeal

Enlightened
I ran my Hound Dog on the MD3 body this morning for about an hour and a half before sunrise on my walk and I am absolutely sold on this format. More then enough light/runtime for my use and I always have half a dozen primaries in my bag already anyway just in case. Its also just the perfect size( length wise anyway) to be in the hand or sweatshirt or cargo pant pocket.
This light has found a permanent place in my lineup along with the M91T & B all on the MD3 body. Ill be shaking down the V2 bodyguard as a replacement for the MD2/M61HOT as its thinner and lighter for an always in my back pocket SD light as I just find the MD2 just too bulky for this role.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Been using mine on my new 21700 tube. Absolutely perfect for walks and will run for hours. I save my longer tubes for camping or when I hit the woods.

CHNeal

Enlightened
Been using mine on my new 21700 tube. Absolutely perfect for walks and will run for hours. I save my longer tubes for camping or when I hit the woods.
I tried it on the 21700 body but just found it just a bit too short. The MD3 with tri-cap gives me just enough room when transferring the light from hand to hand with gloves and always have a grip in the right spot to hit the switch and not slip off the body.
I was going to buy a couple of the 2x21700 for hound dog and wildcat but it would really be over kill for my usage. Oh who am I kidding I'll buy at least one anyway.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
Perhaps someone can tell me if the threads on the Hound Dog head will work with an Oveready body? Just thought I would ask. I have a 2X18650 that would be dandy for it. Thanks!

RPC

Newly Enlightened
Hate to resurrect an old thread for a question I should be able to find the answer to but can't…

Can someone please confirm I'm OK to run unprotected cells in a Hound Dog 18650XT?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to resurrect an old thread for a question I should be able to find the answer to but can't…

Can someone please confirm I'm OK to run unprotected cells in a Hound Dog 18650XT?

There's no flashlight reason you can't.
The flashlight doesn't have one of those fancy low voltage cut off switches...
So as long as you use the wrist stop watch worn by super hard users and keep up with runtime you'll be fine.
I wear mine on my forearm...but it can be worn lower on the wrist like that

1663961055585.png

Last edited:

RPC

Newly Enlightened
There's no flashlight reason you can't.
The flashlight doesn't have one of those fancy low voltage switches...
So as long as you use the wrist stop watch worn by super hard users and keep up with runtime you'll be fine.
I wear mine on my forearm...but it can be worn lower on the wrist like that

View attachment 32530
Ever know just enough about a subject to feel like you're being messed with but not quite enough to be sure?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Yes you can You just have to keep an eye on the battery when you see the light getting dimmer. This way you don't drain the cell down to low.