Malkoff Lumens

Eldiablojoe

Newly Enlightened
I have a "Recommend me a light..." question.

I was looking at the Malkoff EDC's and I have to wonder what applications would be good for a light with .3 (Point 3!!) lumens. He also has one with a low/low of 3 lumens (without the "point", haha).

I have one of his great HoundDog super-brights. It is awesome, but I am looking for one that would allow me to look at a driver's license (reflective) at night. It would have to be light enough that me and my old-man eyes (have to use reading glasses now) can read it, but not so bright that it would hurt my 20-20 vision of the scene and the environment (i.e.- threat variables).

I would appreciate your input, thanks.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wake up in the middle of the night and it is pitch black, you'll appreciate that 0.3 lumen setting. It will let you walk to the bathroom or check on the kids without hurting your night adapted eyes.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the .3 sometimes. As cland72 already mentioned, it also keeps from waking everyone in a room, tent or camper. And sometimes, you don't want a bright light to draw attention to yourself late at night. Example, while you are inside of the white Ford Econoline panel van with the tube racks on top doing a stake out on a king pen out in front of his mansion on a steamy June night. You get the gist.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Believe it or not, but there are a number of members here who would consider 0.3 lumens "way too bright" .... The HDS/Ra flashlights are programmable down to a setting of 0.07 L, and there are others with even lower output :)

Another advantage of super-low sub-lumen outputs is, of course, the corresponding huge increase in runtime.

Although I'm not sure if there are specific definitions for moonlight- versus firefly- modes, I think that 0.1-1.0 L for "moonlight" and < 0.1 L for "firefly" seems reasonable ....

Last edited: