Malkoff M31

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well with the MDC HA 2AA your limited to the multi mode AA head. Which is great btw. But with the VME and 2XAA you can pick any M61/M91 and use that. It's best suited for the 31 series do to the AA tube but you can run a M91 with a couple 14500's for full power or a M61 with a couple primary AA for reduced power. The VME is very versatile

coffeecup66

Enlightened
Well with the MDC HA 2AA your limited to the multi mode AA head. Which is great btw. But with the VME and 2XAA you can pick any M61/M91 and use that. It's best suited for the 31 series do to the AA tube but you can run a M91 with a couple 14500's for full power or a M61 with a couple primary AA for reduced power. The VME is very versatile

Ok, very interesting.

And what major differences would you see in a specific "VME head + M31" vs. MDC HA 2AA comparison ? (I'm going through this thread and the Malkoff website and haven't yet found if the M31 has variable lumen output levels).

Cheers.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just one level with the M31. You can get L or LL LLL versions for it for lower output and longer runtime though. It's pretty much a one level bomb proof light. No fuss no muss. Honestly if you want to go the AA route the Malkoff AA is the way to go. High is close enough to the standard M31 and you get huge runtimes at the two lower modes.

coffeecup66

Enlightened
Just one level with the M31. You can get L or LL LLL versions for it for lower output and longer runtime though. It's pretty much a one level bomb proof light. No fuss no muss. Honestly if you want to go the AA route the Malkoff AA is the way to go. High is close enough to the standard M31 and you get huge runtimes at the two lower modes.

Thank you.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to add that depending on your hand size the Malkoff single AA lights are the perfect size for someone who finds single CR123 sized lights to be a little short.

(Like me, lol...)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Ya I know what you mean; I have rather big paws & my M31's are in 2xAA/3xCR123 bodies - 1xCR123 hosts are too short for me to handle comfortably. :eek:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Ya I know what you mean; I have rather big paws & my M31's are in 2xAA/3xCR123 bodies - 1xCR123 hosts are too short for me to handle comfortably. :eek:
But isn't that the idea? They disappear in pockets, are barely noticeable, and are very light. And I prefer the cigar grip for these mighty pocket lights. But I too carry the aa malkoff size bodies probably more than the 123s.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cigar carry/manipulation is awesome with a Malkoff single AA and a few o-rings slid down under the opening of the retention clip.

I need to add some o-rings to the Malkoff 2xAA also.

6db55e80775bdc115780e4c2e34bdc43.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Love the old style smooth bodies. Just not sure about the new stacked Doughnut ones.

TILL-22

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I have the smooth body MDC 1AA and I haven't seen the new body style in person (yet), but I'm sure I prefer the smooth body. It's just so... smooth.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys! Bringing this thread back for a bit. I have a question about my M31. It's labeled M31 219. From what I gathered so far this is the first run of M31 219 from Illumination Supply using the 219A. Does anybody know the specs of the dropin? Lumens? Lux? Specifics of the LED like bin, tint, etc?

9nkt6Wx.jpg

ZCOECGk.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you know how to use the web way back machine you can fine that information. I haven't a clue how to do it tried once and damn near drove me nuts!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a good idea. Gave it a try. I did find old iterations of the website but got tired of loading the numerous snapshots so I gave up.

If you know how to use the web way back machine you can fine that information. I haven't a clue how to do it tried once and damn near drove me nuts!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I am NOT very computer literate and have no clue how I even got as far as I did. Pretty sure I got into the dark web somehow 😂😂