Malkoff M60 & M30 Runtimes,etc

Rat6P

Enlightened
I emailed Gene and the word back is that 2-3, 1.2v cells will work fine.

Gene's says the M30 will run at 1-4.5 volts, so two AA nimh's should run it ok, maybe about 300mA's to the led, so should be fairly bright. The "maybe" is my questimate.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
On CPF there are still no runtime graphs for the Malkoff M60. Would you please plot a runtime graph of the M60 using your light box? Using two CR123's would be good. This would give us a profile of the circuit that Gene is using in the M60. Post lux readings every 10 minutes? Thanks,

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
gsnorm, you mentioned that Gene makes an M30... does he make an M30L? Just wondering if you know...

I just ordered an M30 from Gene and he said it currently draws 600mah from a 3 volt primary and 1000mah from a 3.7 volt recharge. If you want a M30L just run 1 primary and 1 spacer cell and you are good to go. Or toss it in a 3P like I am planning. The M30 is nice and flexible. It should be made a regular item.

Gene also told me he could toss the regular or the flood optic in it. I went for the regular.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an M30 from Gene and he said it currently draws 600mah from a 3 volt primary and 1000mah from a 3.7 volt recharge. If you want a M30L just run 1 primary and 1 spacer cell and you are good to go. Or toss it in a 3P like I am planning. The M30 is nice and flexible. It should be made a regular item.

Gene also told me he could toss the regular or the flood optic in it. I went for the regular.

How bright is the M30 compared to the M60 or M60L?

Meltdown

Enlightened
my apologies for the dumb question but....what is the best way to power an M30 with say 2 AA batteries?

does Leef make a body that will work with a SF head that will hold AA batteries?

thanks!

Rat6P

Enlightened
my apologies for the dumb question but....what is the best way to power an M30 with say 2 AA batteries?

does Leef make a body that will work with a SF head that will hold AA batteries?

thanks!

The best way would be in a purpose built 2AA body that takes p60 style lamps. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there are any.
Other alternatives are to use any P60 host with a 3 x cr123 body.
You can use a 6p with an extender(like i am) but I have heard that a normal 3xcr123 tube could be better, because of the increased resistance introduced by an extender. Though this may only be relavant for Incans.

Anyway you will have to make a spacer/ adapter so the AA batts sit properly in the lights body.
Rolled up paper, craft card, laminex type plastics, old flexible plastic folders..........whatever you can think of will do the job.
Or head down to the hardware store you may find some hose/pipe with the same inside and outside diameter as you need.
hope this helps.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I went to the local dollar store with a p60 and checked out all the cheapo plastic AA lights for one that looked like a close fit. I found a purple one that works well. Not tough and looks goofy but totally functional.
:shrug:

Rat6P

Enlightened
I went to the local dollar store with a p60 and checked out all the cheapo plastic AA lights for one that looked like a close fit. I found a purple one that works well. Not tough and looks goofy but totally functional.
:shrug:

hehe...I've done the same thing actually........a cheapo Crook head 2aa light($1)......pulled the inards out and jammed an old luxeon p60 in there.....Bit of Loctite to make it stronger.
Like you said not pretty, but functional, great fishing light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The best way would be in a purpose built 2AA body that takes p60 style lamps. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there are any.
Other alternatives are to use any P60 host with a 3 x cr123 body.
You can use a 6p with an extender(like i am) but I have heard that a normal 3xcr123 tube could be better, because of the increased resistance introduced by an extender. Though this may only be relavant for Incans.

Anyway you will have to make a spacer/ adapter so the AA batts sit properly in the lights body.
Rolled up paper, craft card, laminex type plastics, old flexible plastic folders..........whatever you can think of will do the job.
Or head down to the hardware store you may find some hose/pipe with the same inside and outside diameter as you need.
hope this helps.

Using two AA's will require a boost driven P60 type drop in. Most drop ins use buck type converters, though some appear to be buck/boost, though not the Sure P60 LED's, or the Malkoff M series.

The extender added to a two cell Surefire body will not affect output using LED's driven by constant current LE's, though could, if resistance was high, affect runtime. Mostly considered a non issue resistance wise.

Bill

Rat6P

Enlightened
Using two AA's will require a boost driven P60 type drop in. Most drop ins use buck type converters, though some appear to be buck/boost, though not the Sure P60 LED's, or the Malkoff M series.

The extender added to a two cell Surefire body will not affect output using LED's driven by constant current LE's, though could, if resistance was high, affect runtime. Mostly considered a non issue resistance wise.

Bill

Thanks for clearing up the resistance issue Bill.

I recently received an M30. Excellent device.
I am running it in a Surefire 6P with a 1 cell extender.
I am using 2 AA alkalines as my first test batteries.
I have no fancy equipment to measure outputs etc.
I used 2 AA batteries that come from a 4 cell pack that cost $1. El cheapo and crappo.
Using these cells, the M30 matched my Wolfeyes HO 170 lumen rated CREE lamp(2 x AW 17500's).
I noticed no drop in output for 1 hour and 5 mins, At which the lamp did not shut down, but continued to give useable light......I discontinued my highly scientific tests at the 1 hour 30mins mark.........As after the first drop in output that I noticed, well this is when I will be normally changing to fresh cells. Good to know it wont die on me flat out though.
During the whole test the light only got warm......never was it uncomfortable to touch or hold onto.

I'm Impressed....I'm getting a really bright light that runs for 1 hour or there abouts off 2 AA alkalines.
I tried an AW lithium-ion and it was very bright.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mmmmmmmmmm AA Surefire goodness!

Thanks for spreading the M30 love.
I do have to wonder why it isn't a regular Malkoff website item?

Rat6P

Enlightened
When I get some time over the next week I will try and do some more runtimes with higher quality cells and different cell combos and take some beamshots compared to my other lights etc..

Time for someone to make a 2AA P60 host. :whistle:
And time for me to buy some eneloops or equiv

I imagine the reason for not being available on his website would be because there is no real market for it at this time. It may become more poular in time, but even then, if Gene was to stock up, the M30 would probably be less likely to sell as the regular units. I guess he could advertise the M30 as an always "out of stock" unit or equiv, meaning you would have to wait longer.
Until it becomes more popular to run AA's in a P60 host.........:shrug:
You do have to stay sharp though concerning swapping out dropins etc......I can see someone oneday taking out a set of drained alks and absent mindely putting fresh cr123's or such back in..:oops:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
RatP6, ah yes, I forgot about the M30, which Gene told me could be run at about 1-5 volts. I have considered ordering one, particularly if available as an M30L.

Bill

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It is a M30L if you feed it only a 3V primary. Just pick up a spacer cell for it.
Perhaps you want the runtime of 2 cells though.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Anyone running a M30 on one primary? how bright is it and how long does she last?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am. In a 3P.

How bright........150 lumens based on multiple light comparisons.
How long...........2 hours once and 1 hour 40 min another time, different brand cells and 1 may of been used.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am having some luck with 2AA Eneloops with M30. Starts out as bright as with one Surefire Cr123 using AA's charged to 1.40 volts each. Have only had M30 for two days and have not done any good runtime tests yet. I did get 40 minutes at mostly flat regulation when I used the same cells at a reading of 1.25 volts each. At that voltage there was little difference in output as when charged to 1.40 volts each. Using bounce with lightmeter.

Bill