Malkoff M61 / M61N as Do-it-all lights

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with that as well. I would not run an M91B on two Li-Ion cells any smaller than 18500. The extra lumens aren't worth the runtime tradeoff with 2x18350.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the duties my M61N/MD2/hi-lo served perfectly for years before I replaced it with the M91BN/MD3. It is more versatile, because it acts like the M61 did on low, but is much brighter on high (with 1 or 2 Li-ion). That's before you consider the many more cell options you have with M91B/MD3 as ledbetter mentioned.

If I were a person that used an MD2 as an EDC, the MD3 would not really be an option as a replacement. But since my MD2 use is as a "house" light or outdoor light around the property/neighborhood, the extra length really makes very little difference. Now that I think about it, my unwillingness to EDC such a light actually precludes me from calling it "do-it-all".

I'm the only one that uses that light around here. I have simpler Malkoff legos placed around the house for other members of the household that don't have high/low switches and generally run on simpler cell setups--mostly 2xAA NiMH. They just want to hit the button and light things up, and not get into the details of cell maintenance and such. But, since your household is used to M61/MD2/hi-low operation, they wouldn't find the operation of M61B/MD3/hi-low operation any different.
I love the MD3 body, it's really the perfect size and it fits in the back pocket nicely. I run either an M91N or M91T on 2x18500's.

MD3 in the back right pocket (with a spare Haiku in the holster).

TnCOP8P.jpg

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
md3 m91b with hi/lo a dummy or two and a 2 aa sleeve and you can run a big variety of batteries and at different outputs. With this set up you really don't need any other light but that's not as much fun.

I have one of the group buy M91BN modules, might have to try that out. Its a weird combination of rosy pink yet still too CW for me, though. I do really like the SST-20. How does the current stock of NW and WW XPL M91's look?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe so, I'd have to look back through my PMs from the marketplace. Its a great tint but to my eyes just not as pleasant as a 4000k SST20 or even (especially) a 219B SW35 and SW45.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya rosy pink is not for me. Not sure how it fits in a neutral tint. It's bright and all but pink in my tints drives me crazy.

ledbetter

Enlightened
I have one of the group buy M91BN modules, might have to try that out. Its a weird combination of rosy pink yet still too CW for me, though. I do really like the SST-20. How does the current stock of NW and WW XPL M91's look?
That's a good question, would like to hear from somebody who gets one of the new m91b 4K to compare. have a 5k(1st run) and a cool and like them a lot. Nothing wrong with Sst20 4K and think it's great but doesn't have the flood/output of the m91 and just doesn't cut through city light very well. Though in woods and camping m61nl is a favorite. sst20 4K is very nice in the mdc aa as well.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing about it, the M91B certainly won't match the M61 SST20 in the CRI department. I know that should be obvious, but I just got my first SST-20 in a M61NL, and I'm shocked at how good it is at color rendering. The beam profile is at least as good as the XP-G from the McLeish reflector too.

Eat your heart out, Nichia.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the MD3 body, it's really the perfect size and it fits in the back pocket nicely. I run either an M91N or M91T on 2x18500's.

MD3 in the back right pocket (with a spare Haiku in the holster).

View attachment 27489
You know...I kid you about this, but I tried it last night and think this might actually work for me in some cases. I need to transfer my Dark Sucks clip over to my MD3 and give this a serious try. I'm not going to the office with it, but it should work around the house and property just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya rosy pink is not for me. Not sure how it fits in a neutral tint. It's bright and all but pink in my tints drives me crazy.
I must have got lucky with the tint lottery on GB v2. Mine isn't rosy, at least not compared to the rosy Nichias we're all familiar with.

It's not the best tint I have in a Malkoff, however. I have a M61W from 2010 that was the first run of XP-G neutrals Gene did. It is the most neutral light I own, and I'd guess that it's around 4500K tint.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
We have years of Malkoff experience, and are guilty as chatting assuming everyone has the knowledge we do. With that said I would start with a Malkoff MD2 with hi lo ring. With a M61N and a 18650 as battery. Great light.
Thanks for the recommendation! It may be one that I've been looking at:

M61 High/Low Switch MD2 Flashlight

I see that "N" in things and can't seem to find it on purpose when I'm digging around. And I have ordered a TorchLAB BOSS... perhaps a little prematurely. With MOFF to further confuse myself.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation! It may be one that I've been looking at:

M61 High/Low Switch MD2 Flashlight

I see that "N" in things and can't seem to find it on purpose when I'm digging around. And I have ordered a TorchLAB BOSS... perhaps a little prematurely. With MOFF to further confuse myself.
The "N" stands for Neutral tint, usually in the 4000K range.

Latest posts