Malkoff M61 / M61N as Do-it-all lights

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2/MD3/MD4 are bodies that hold 18650/18500 lithium ion battery or 2/3/4 cr123 batteries and take the M61/91 drop ins. Similar idea to the Surefire P60 sized lights like the 6p-2x cr123/9p- 3x cr123.

The M61 and M91 are made to fit in the Surefire system but the bodies/hosts aren't totally compatible (Some of the throw drop ins aren't made to fit in Surefire lights) I believe just the tail caps are compatible with Malkoff lights.

MDC are the smaller bodies compatible with the "e series" of Surefire lights.

VME heads hold the P60/M61 size drop ins but fit on the "e" bodies.

timbo114

Enlightened
@ledbetter ...
That's a good question, would like to hear from somebody who gets one of the new m91b 4K to compare. have a 5k(1st run) and a cool and like them a lot. Nothing wrong with Sst20 4K and think it's great but doesn't have the flood/output of the m91 and just doesn't cut through city light very well. Though in woods and camping m61nl is a favorite. sst20 4K is very nice in the mdc aa as well.

I just today, received the M91BN 4000k from Gene, with MD4 tube & MDX-22.3 Head.

I also have a GB #2 M91BN 5000k.

4000k M91BN on 2x Sanyo NCR18650GA 18650 = P U R E Vanilla white creamy beauty.
F A T hot spot and artifact free spill area.
I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
Here it is:

Aha... There it is. Is there an available head with the hi/lo switch or would I have to get a complete one with that and move right into tinkering?

Last edited:

ledbetter

Enlightened
The Malkoff website isn't the easiest to navigate for a beginner but if you take your time, read the entire description of all parts you're interested in, and then ask
Gene or Cathy questions you will likely get set up the way you want the first time.

Or just order whatever, you'll probably like it and then on your next order you'll get a better idea of what's on offer.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff website isn't the easiest to navigate for a beginner but if you take your time, read the entire description of all parts you're interested in, and then ask
Gene or Cathy questions you will likely get set up the way you want the first time.

Or just order whatever, you'll probably like it and then on your next order you'll get a better idea of what's on offer.
I've gotten the impression most people don't do a "one and done" approach there...

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
4000k M91BN on 2x Sanyo NCR18650GA 18650 = P U R E Vanilla white creamy beauty.
F A T hot spot and artifact free spill area.
I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

How does this compare/contrast with your GB drop-in? Fatter hot spot? Fewer artifacts?

I makes sense that it would have a more creamy/vanilla tint than your 5000K GB drop-in, since it's 4000K.

timbo114

Enlightened
How does this compare/contrast with your GB drop-in? Fatter hot spot? Fewer artifacts?

I makes sense that it would have a more creamy/vanilla tint than your 5000K GB drop-in, since it's 4000K.
5000K hot spot definitely has a yellowish corona between the spot and the spill - no artifacts at all.
4000K hot spot 'seems' (IS) fatter due to a smoothly blended transition into spill area with no corona, no artifacts.
I have both units in MD4s feeding on freshly charged Sanyo NCR18650GAs.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The M361 is definitely a good one. It does require the use of a single lithium though for best results.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
5000K hot spot definitely has a yellowish corona between the spot and the spill - no artifacts at all.
4000K hot spot 'seems' (IS) fatter due to a smoothly blended transition into spill area with no corona, no artifacts.
I have both units in MD4s feeding on freshly charged Sanyo NCR18650GAs.
Thanks. Your description of your GB v2 describes mine to a T, so that is very helpful. It sounds like you got lucky like I did and didn't get a 'rosy' one. The slightly yellow corona of mine is the only thing that I wouldn't describe as pure white.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
Think on this one ... no need for hi lo .. same emitter as M61, more out put and 3 speeds.

*input voltage is 3.4 - 6 volts, instead of 3.4 - 9 volts
How many other parts would I need to get? I don't have any Malkoffs or SureFires. Have never gathered parts and assembled one before. Definitely a neophyte at this.

timbo114

Enlightened
How many other parts would I need to get? I don't have any Malkoffs or SureFires. Have never gathered parts and assembled one before. Definitely a neophyte at this.
Buy this host and this drop in.
You'll have a complete light with lo- med- hi by pressing the switch button- without turning the head.
Don't forget to sign up for 20% discount off your 1st order.

Seanzo

Newly Enlightened
Buy this host and this drop in.
You'll have a complete light with lo- med- hi by pressing the switch button- without turning the head.
Don't forget to sign up for 20% discount off your 1st order.
Thanks! I was making it more complex than I needed to. Thought there might be a complete empty body somewhere, but didn't or couldn't see it right in front of me.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
I snagged a couple M91BN drop-ins last night. I have been happy with the M61N's, but I'm already running on 2 Li-Ions, and it just felt like leaving a bunch of output on the table.

My MD2's live on Low, so I look forward to a slightly higher "low", with a bunch of output available with a 1/4 turn if the head.